Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » September 10th, 2006, 6:55 pm

ulu wrote:These are just a few of the creatures they have found in the Tasman sea.

Just imagine what they haven't found!!
One day our great-grandchildren will have to listen to our stories (for the 1796th time ...) about how we rowed around the earth in the early 21th century, struggling against the tentacles of the Wonky Eyed Squid, barely escaping the razor-sharp teeth of Fangtooth, rowing right over the Walking Coffinfish,
scared out of our wits by the Pacific Spookfish,
and when we ran out of ship biscuits and salted meat we had to live on rare supplies of the Rare Eelpout.

Deep sea yields rare sea creatures

Ho ho ho and a bottle of rum ...

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » September 10th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Hmmm, after reading Brigitte's stirring tale,
perhaps now is not the best time to mention
that I think I was bitten on the finger by one of these fellows

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » September 11th, 2006, 12:33 pm

danwho wrote:Hmmm, after reading Brigitte's stirring tale,
perhaps now is not the best time to mention
that I think I was bitten on the finger by one of these fellows
Aaaah, the Evil-eyed Clownfish!!! Just a look at those eyes should tell you, that they are vicious, dangerous creatures! B)

Dan, I hope you realize how lucky you are, since you are one of those few humans who survived the attack of the Evil-eyed Clownfish? :lol:

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 11th, 2006, 8:56 pm

You are all indeed moving along rather quickly - I'll try and advise the weather man to steady the seas for easier rowing as you approach Greymouth and Aotearoa, the Land of the Long White Cloud. As it's white-bait season I presume the West Coast will be lined with whitebait catchers but I suggest you start catching your own on the way over as the price is rather high this year. Contrary to the belief of some folk, you really don't need to take the eyes out of them though!!
BriK can certainly spin a good story, I hope she keeps it to the sea creatures and doesn't start including the inhabitants of the Pacific Ocean.
Just a note of warning though, there's only one way to go from down here and that's North - so it must be uphill!!

Cheers, Shirley

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » September 12th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Hi Shirley! How good to see that there is a kind soul in NZ, who will guide us safely to the shore! :D And of course I would never do anything to ignite the wrath of the inhabitants of the Pacific Ocean! Guess I just read too much about Captain Ahab and Treasure Island and the like. I confess I have no clue though what white-bait fishing is. Catching sharks with white meat? :?:
rowmyboat wrote:Just a note of warning though, there's only one way to go from down here and that's North - so it must be uphill!!
Well, I'm afraid things will go further downhill from here! Our dear Captain Jim plans to steer us to the South Pole! After chasing us through the desert, the Middle East, and across the wild Tasman Sea with all its odd creatures , I guess the permafrost won't kill us either ... that man knows no mercy :twisted:!!!

Looking forward to see your beautiful country, Shirley! :D

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 12th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Come on Eh! Team!!!
Where is everybody at the CTC? Almost half way through the month and only one boat. Is everybody still on holiday?
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 12th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Come on Eh! Team!!!
Where is everybody at the CTC? Almost half way through the month and only one boat. Is everybody still on holiday?
We are staying in the main boat! Didn't you see all of those scary creatures out there.
Those kiwis have the the 10 creepiest creatures from the sea

I am getting closer to shore before I put my 4k in, and anybody who doesn't, well --- we throw them out in the Tasman.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 12:00 am

You have indeed got a vivid imagination BriK, and to hear you are heading further south into colder waters, I do hope you have the appropriate all weather gear on board. :wink:

I had to chuckle at your description of 'white-bait' - it is a delicacy that is fished for at the river mouths for a short season each year and made into patties usually. If you make them yourself they are full of whitebait, if you buy them commercially you usually have to 'hunt' the pattie to find the whitebait. They are about 4cm long, little white items that are keenly sought after and usually sell for over $100 for 1kg. Therefore we usually only have one feed a season - really must start catching them ourselves.

Jim will be able to elaborate on some white-bait stories I'm sure, isn't he from whitebait country?

Keep up the good work - Shirley

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 13th, 2006, 10:59 am

[Pirate voice] You're a bunch of lily-livered, land-lubbing good-for-nothings, arrh! [/Pirate voice]
I'm not looking forward to the Southern Ocean and Antarctica. Could be tricky rowing with winter clothes on. B)
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 5:33 pm

We're a bunch of hearty souls, of Viking Stock and dare you approach us with that attitude you'll end up walking the plank and meeting all the terrors that BriK described.
We are entering the summer season, winter clothes discarded and the temperatures of minus 10 will soon be forgotten. The highs of 15 to 20 degrees will be embraced with open arms.
Only the hardiest survive - your endurance test is about to begin....

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » September 13th, 2006, 9:18 pm

:idea: Thanks for the explanations about the white bait, Shirley! I had googled the term before, but there came up such a variety of things, that I really couldn't figure out what kind of creatures they are. I had a look at them now, and I wonder how much of them is left if you remove all the fishbones and intestinals etc. Maybe that's why they are so expensive? You probably need a ton to make on patty!

I hope you will have mercy with David, Shirley! You know, he is still young and unexperienced on the seven seas and full of passion (hey, I'm good at figuring out excuses!), so maybe whipping him may be punishment enough. Or make him row a 100k every day until Christmas. :twisted: After all, we need every man and every woman to pull on our little virtual boat ...

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 13th, 2006, 9:50 pm

rowmyboat wrote:
Jim will be able to elaborate on some white-bait stories I'm sure, isn't he from whitebait country?

Keep up the good work - Shirley
That was long ago and far away that I lived on the shores of the Tasman. I will post some pictures of the view over the Tasman from my old residence sometime. The only white-bait I knew then were the 2 legged variety, usually found lurking in the back of pubs and pouncing on unsuspecting canucks :lol:

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 9:53 pm

By the look of your pic Brigette, I think David has fallen overboard, in fact he's probably now lying in the sun somewhere on the Aussie coast - you appear to be doing just fine on your own!!

Keep those oars amoving - Shirley

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 13th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Bri
In Europe whitebait are usually eaten whole. They're popular in Greece just floured and deep fried crispy. Thanks for the defense too!

Shirley
It may soon be summer in NZ but summer on the southern continent is still cold! Where's your 4K BTW :wink:
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 9:58 pm

"That was long ago and far away" stated Jim

- oh for the memories though - you can always recall them can't you!!

Keep ergin - Shirley