Wolverine Plan-

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Francois
1k Poster

Re: while on the subject...

Post by Francois » September 5th, 2006, 4:41 pm

marge wrote:While were on the subject of the wolverine plan i had a couple of questions.

After recording a new PB for a 2k what changes do you make to your training. For instance say ive been doing a level3 workout (12k + 500m every session, avg pace kept constant) and just got a PB on a 2k trial. Should i change my pace to meet that of my new 2k split reference or stick with the pace ive been using?

This can also be asked for a level 4 workout. If im doing a 60mins L4 every week, increasing my strokes every session like it says, should i also change my pace after recording a new PB 2k?
That was something Mike Caviston covered on the old thread:

The WP & L4 work especially well for people with an established 2K history. For people who have reached a plateau and are looking to build a foundation on which to reach a higher peak, I think Level 4 training can be very helpful. But the trickiest thing about the Wolverine Plan is determining the correct Ref Pace for a novice, or someone with rapidly advancing fitness. For someone with an established training history, the procedure may simply be to start a training season with a Ref Pace one second faster than the previous year. In my own case, I’ve been working with the same Ref Pace for four years, but I’ve been making small progress by starting each season with a slightly higher volume and/or at a slightly higher average stroke rate (and therefore advancing farther by the end of the season).

Do the workouts you are doing now seem appropriately challenging (hard, but not TOO hard)? Given your current Level 4 workouts and formats, is there room to progress with the established L4 progressions for the next several weeks? If not, then you should readjust based on what you estimate your 2K to be based on your Level 1-2 training history. But if the workouts seem to be at the correct intensity, then just keep steadily building until this season is over and think about planning with more precision next year. For Levels 1-3, I propose guidelines for relationship between workout intensity and 2K pace. But I also encourage people not to become overly obsessed about the relationship (“If I pull xMadx for 2K, what should I pull for 4 x 1K, 10K, etc. etc.?”) The most important thing is to start where you can start and gradually, steadily, consistently build on that. Good luck!

Reference Paces can be tricky, so it’s important to try to choose one you can stick with for an entire training season. In the absence of a reliable 2K score, probably the best alternative is to estimate 2K ability from a Level 1 workout. This of course assumes the Level 1 workout is performed correctly and with a near-maximal effort. If the L4 workouts feel too easy, one way to increase intensity is too use a more rapid rate of increase in strokes/workout (beyond the suggested 1 stroke/10’/week). But make sure there is room on the sequence charts to keep increasing without passing 200 strokes/10’ before the end of your training season. If you reach the point where you are doing 1200 strokes in an hour and it’s only midway through the season, something has gone seriously wrong. Another option if workouts seem too easy is to increase the length of the workouts. This may not be the best solution since there will be practical limits as to how long you are able to row. Going from say 50’ to 60’ may be a temporary solution, but chances are if you don’t have the correct Ref Pace then the longer workout will soon start to feel too “easy” again.

To repeat a piece of advice I’ve given to beginners before: don’t become too obsessed with rapid improvement and with getting it all right now. Take the long view. Just enjoy the ride for a while and develop good habits to use when the going starts to get a little tougher. Specifically for Level 4 workouts, if you can follow your current Ref Pace without hitting the 20spm-average before the end of the season, then just stick with what you’ve been doing. Next year plan to start with a faster Ref Pace based on your best 2K this year, and spend some time in the off-season getting comfortable with doing some sequences using the faster Ref Pace so you can begin your next competitive training period as smoothly as possible.
(mpukita @ Dec 4 2005, 07:46 PM) wrote: The only thing I don't understand is when Mike says:
"If you reach a point where your totals are exceeding the goal of the next 2K pace on the Pace Chart, you will be reassigned a new 2K pace for reference."
This was in reference to the specific situation where a rower moves from the novice to the varsity level and really begins to bloom as an athlete as a result of maturity, greater training volume, the inspiration of training with older/more experienced teammates, forming more ambitious personal goals, etc. – they were improving so rapidly they would rack up large totals even while trying to hold back. Giving them a new Ref Pace didn’t really change the way they did the workouts, it just brought their goals more in line with their abilities. As I’ve said again and again and again – setting Ref Paces for beginners is not an exact science.
(mpukita @ Dec 4 2005, 08:57 PM) wrote: Would it be safe to say that if one could do 70' to 90' at the top (or bottom depending how you view it) of the sequence charts (longest distances), that resetting reference pace would be good to do? If so, how would you suggest one go about this?
Hmm, let me think about this. 70’-90’ is probably a little more than most people could or should do continuously with the Level 4 format. Let’s use 60’ for the sake of discussion. I would say if someone progressed to 1200 strokes in 60’ (6 x 200 or the equivalent, i.e., an average of 20spm) it would be time to try a new Ref Pace. I think 1208 strokes are the most I’ve ever done in 60’, and that was almost five years ago. At my current pace I’ll probably make it to about 1190 strokes this year. If someone has reached 1200 strokes mid-season, they clearly have chosen the wrong Ref Pace – but what are you gonna do? I’d try to finish out the current season as well as possible and choose a Ref Pace more accurately next year. So, let’s say someone has reached 1200 strokes with a particular Ref Pace but there are till several weeks to go in the season. Two alternatives would be to 1) continue with the same Ref Pace and progress to faster sequences (the 202-210 range) or 2) go to the next fastest Ref Pace and go back to using slower sequences. Nether solution is perfect but I’d go with #2 (faster Ref Pace, back to slower sequences). How far back to go (which slower sequences to use)? Well, you’d cover about the same number of meters in 1170 strokes (19.5spm average) using the next fastest Ref Pace (vs. 1200 strokes with the slower Ref Pace). But to account for the greater intensity of more force per stroke, I’d probably drop back a little further, probably to about 19-19.2spm for 60’ with the faster Ref Pace. You'd be covering fewer meters than before but working harder to do it. It would also probably be necessary to set aside a few sessions just to practice with the new paces for the various stroke rates (i.e., get used to consistently hitting the faster paces for the various rates).

Well, that’s what I’d do, but what the heck do I know? Oh, and to reiterate one other key point about the Level 4 sequences. The faster ones at the bottom of the table are almost theoretical ideals. If you have chosen your Ref Pace correctly, you won’t be able to do them in continuous formats. When I am fully trained, I can barely do the 220 sequence as an isolated 10’ piece (which I try to reach as part of the 4 x 10’ format).
(bmoore @ Dec 28 2005, 01:38 AM) wrote: Finally, I understood the guideline for the long L3 workout was to maintain the pace and keep increasing the distance each week.
Not necessarily. This has always been a little ambiguous. You could fix the distance and gradually increase pace, OR keep pace constant and gradually extend the distance, OR do a combination of both. Whatever feels more comfortable. I tend to do a little of both. I tend to start at some distance (e.g., 16-20K depending on my overall fitness when I start a training cycle), work the pace down by about 1 sec/500m over several weeks, add another 1K to the distance @ the same pace, work the pace down another second or so over several more weeks, add another 1K, etc. My general recommendation would be to work the distance up to at least an hour (which might be 12K for some folk and 17K for others). Someone who can’t fit so much volume into their training might limit their L3 row to the 10K/40’ range, but I would then hope that there is a 60’ L4 in the weekly schedule. In other words, to repeat a previous recommendation, I suggest at least one 60’ continuous endurance session per week.
(FrancoisA @ Dec 28 2005, 11:12 AM) wrote: Instead of a 16k at 2:01, I would suggest that you could occasionally do 3 x 4k with 1:00 rest at 1:58 or faster. It could also be 4 x 3k with 0:45 rest, a 6 x 2k with 0:30 rest, etc. The idea is to get a little rest so that your pace is faster than your 16k L3, but not too long, so that your HR stays elevated.
If someone is only doing a single L3 row per week, I would suggest keeping it continuous (see previous comments for a complete explanation). Breaking a distance down into 3-4 segments with short rest breaks is also good training; in fact I do something similar with my 2nd weekly L3 workout. But if I were only doing one, I’d keep it continuous.
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

nharrigan
500m Poster

Post by nharrigan » September 10th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Today I did my first L4 of the season. 40 minutes.
176, 180, 184, 176. 10,140m.

It was much harder than I remember. Stroke rate bounced around a bit and I had trouble hitting the pace at the end.

Hopefully I can ramp up to 6 days by next week.

Day 1: Level 1
Day 2: Level 4 (40')
Day3: Level 2
Day 4: Level 4 (4 x 10')
Day 5: Level 3 (15K)
Day 6: Level 4 (60')

Polaco- I noticed that you do L4 on Monday and L1 on Tuesday. Is there an advantage to doing the L4 on Monday, instead of the L1?

Francois and Arlene- How did you transition to rowing? I've been alternating days on the bike and erg, but I need to switch to rowing completely pretty soon. I'm dreading those L1s.

Thanks,

Neil
1968 78kg 186cm

polaco
500m Poster

Post by polaco » September 11th, 2006, 11:41 am

nharrigan wrote: Polaco- I noticed that you do L4 on Monday and L1 on Tuesday. Is there an advantage to doing the L4 on Monday, instead of the L1?

Neil
Cheers Neil!!

For me it's just a matter of make it match in my on the water rowing schedule.

Everyweek I row with Ancho and it's more much easy to do a L1 on the water than a L4.

Happy rowing!!
52y 1.89m 98g

0.5K 1:25.1, 1K 3:15.7, 2K 6:27.9, 5K 17:22.6, 6K 20:53.6, 10K 36:55.9, 30' 8085m, 60' 15698, HM 1:20:47.2, FM 2:51:17
Lo que no nos mata nos hace más fuertes

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » September 11th, 2006, 2:29 pm

nharrigan wrote: Francois and Arlene- How did you transition to rowing? I've been alternating days on the bike and erg, but I need to switch to rowing completely pretty soon. I'm dreading those L1s.
Hi Neil,

Since I didn't stop erging completely this summer, the transition was not that painful! I slowly increased the number of rowing sessions back to six times a week, and started with only 30 minutes of L4; now I am doing 50 min. I'll alternate L1 and L2 sessions until the end of September. I did an L2 (4x2K) workout for the first time last week and will do an L1 (4x1k) tonight. I am doing 2 L3 workouts a week. At the moment I am doing 2 x 5k with 1 min rest, adding 500m every week with the intention of doing a full hour without any breaks.
My original plan was to swim 12 hours a week and erg about 6 hrs, but I've decided to cut back a little on the swimming and put more energy on the erg. So here is the training plan until end of September:

M: 1hr swim; L1 or L2
Tu:2hrs swim; L4 + weights
W: 1hr swim; L3
Th: 2 hrs swim; L4 + weights
F: 1 hr swim; L3
Sat: 1 hr swim; L4 + weights
Sunday: OFF! (or an easy bike ride)

In October I will squeeze both an L1 and L2, so will end up with two erg workouts on the same day :roll:

Regarding those "dreaded" L1 workouts, I am starting with 4 x 1k, which I find easier than the 8x500, and, initially, at less than 100% effort (2K +3).
Baby steps, baby steps... :wink:

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » September 11th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Did a first L1 (4x1k) workout tonight. Was aiming for 1:45 average and did 1:44.8 @ 28 spm (1:45.5, 1:45.0, 1:44.6, 1:44.3).
I got the exact same average a year ago except that at that time it was a 100% effort at 30 spm. So that is encouraging! :P
The plan is to keep improving by 0.2 sec/500m every week for the next 23 weeks! Lots of increasingly hard baby steps!

Happy Wolverine training everyone!

Francois

nharrigan
500m Poster

Post by nharrigan » September 11th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Francois- You were smart to keep up with the erg. 12 hours of swimming. Wow.
Nice job on the L1. That's a very good time. At that rate you will be pulling sub 1:40 for that workout by Feb.
Next week I'll be trying that. javascript:emoticon(':?')

Polaco- That's great that you're on the water for some of your workouts. It's been a long time since I've been in a boat, but I have nothing but good memories of it. Have fun.

I was on the bike today for 29 miles. Actually felt pretty good. Even had some power on the hills. I'm going to do a century later this month, so I need to keep up some bike fitness.

On a side note, I tried to adapt the Wolverine plan to cycling training without much success. The only thing that was close was a hill repeat workout I did every Wednesday. Similar to L1 but longer intervals 16'+/- and only 3 of them. The closest I could get to an L4 was a high cadence workout for 60+ min. Anyone else have any insights on the adaptabllity of this plan.

More L4 tomorrow.

BTW- I keep rereading the old posts and constantly find something new.

Thanks,

Neil
1968 78kg 186cm

fish
1k Poster

Post by fish » September 12th, 2006, 12:39 am

I also did some rowing while I was biking. I did the Seattle to Portland in mid-July and have only been on the bike a few times.

During the transition to rowing, I did L1, L4, easy, L3, L4, easy to gently increase the number of meters. This week I am going to add another L4. Eventually I would like to do something like this:

M: Pool
T: L1
W: L4
Th: L2
F: L4
Sa: L3
Su: L4

Arlene

nharrigan
500m Poster

Post by nharrigan » September 12th, 2006, 9:45 pm

L4 today

176 178 180 176 178

Started to miss my pace targets after 45 minutes. Slowly improving nonetheless.

BTW- I have a chart from the defunct board that had odd stroke rating like the 178. That's a 2' 17, 2' 19, 2' 17, 2' 19, 2' 17. Anyway, I find it helpful with designing my L4 workouts. If anyone would like it let me know.

Arlene- Good advice about gently increasing the meters. I've just been rowing every other day and increasing the duration each time.

There seem to be a lot of rowers that bike (or is it vice versa)

Cheers,

Neil
1968 78kg 186cm

Mike Caviston
2k Poster

Post by Mike Caviston » September 12th, 2006, 10:21 pm

I am midway through my second week of this year’s specific buildup to CRASH-B. The overall number and balance of workouts is the same as it’s been for several years now. The specific order of workouts is:

Sun: L2
Mon AM: L4
Mon PM: L4
Tue AM: L3
Tue PM: L4
Wed: L1
Thu AM: L4
Thu PM: L4
Fri: L3
Sat: L4

I’m starting from a lower fitness base than the past few years but hoping I’ll be fresher by the end of February. My long L3 row this week will be 17K (down from 22K last year at this time). My first weekly total for L4 minutes was “only” 240, but I’ll progressively build up to 360 L4 minutes over the next several weeks. I’ve increased my REF pace (i.e., I’ve gotten slower) relative to last year – from 1:35 to 1:36. I’ve calculated all the paces in Watts just to make things more challenging and to keep from having to see slower paces than I’m used to. To keep the math simple, I set 16spm @ 50% of 2K Watts and increased Watts by 3% for every spm (so 17spm = 53% of 2K Watts, 18spm = 56%, etc.) The actual difference in intensity compared to calculations using pace (seconds/500m) is negligible.

A new L1 format I’ve developed is 1K/800m/700m/600m/500m/400m. For recovery I follow the same guidelines as I’ve described previously. This is a transition to help me get to 4 x 1K. I can handle 8 x 500m with decent speed but I don’t have the fitness to do justice to 4 x 1K yet. For this workout I do the initial 1K at close to 8 x 500m speed (about ½ sec slower) and try not to lose speed as the intervals get shorter, and I can generally pick up the pace a bit for the final two intervals. Remember that one of the conditions for L1 workouts that I advocate is the average length of all intervals be > 500m. (That means all intervals across many L1 workouts, not just a single L1 session).

Happy training!

Mike Caviston

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » September 13th, 2006, 5:36 am

Hi, Mike!
I've also just picked up training after holidays, and don't feel up to a 4*1k. I think I will do an 8*500 today, and try the new format next week. Sounds interesting!
Maybe then the "pyramid", and afterwards the 4*1k, brr!

All the best!
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » September 13th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Mike Caviston wrote: I’ve calculated all the paces in Watts just to make things more challenging and to keep from having to see slower paces than I’m used to. To keep the math simple, I set 16spm @ 50% of 2K Watts and increased Watts by 3% for every spm (so 17spm = 53% of 2K Watts, 18spm = 56%, etc.) The actual difference in intensity compared to calculations using pace (seconds/500m) is negligible.
Hi Mike,

It seems that adding 3% for every spm works quite well for the range 16 to 20 spm, but for higher rates there seem to be some discrepancies with the values in Table 2 of the original WP document.
For instance, using your reference pace of 1:36 (395.6 Watts) and looking in table 2, we find that at 26 spm the pace is 1:40 (350 Watts) or 88.5% of 2k Watts.
If one uses 50% at 16 spm and adds 3% per spm, one ends up with 50% + (26-16)*3% = 80% at 26 spm, which corresponds to 316.5 Watts or a pace of 1:43.4, almost the pace (1:44) associated with 24 spm in the table. So the higher spms are much easier to achieve with the "add 3% Watts formula" than with the original table.

Another way to see this is if one extrapolates the paces in table 2, one finds that 2K pace would be achieved at 28 spm. On the other hand, if one use the Watts formula one achieves 2K Watts at 32.7 spm (16 + 50/3).

At 22 spm the "Watts formula" would yield a pace of 1:49.2 compared to 1:48 in the Table. At 24 spm it would be 1:46.1 instead of 1:44, and, as we have seen above, at 26 spm it would be 1:43.4 vs. 1:40.

Regards,

Francois

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 13th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Francois wrote:

If one uses 50% at 16 spm and adds 3% per spm, one ends up with 50% + (26-16)*3% = 80% at 26 spm, which corresponds to 316.5 Watts or a pace of 1:43.4, almost the pace (1:44) associated with 24 spm in the table. So the higher spms are much easier to achieve with the "add 3% Watts formula" than with the original table.

Regards,

Francois
3 % / 1rpm has to be used exponentially.

An increese in rpm = 1.03 ^ spm.
example 20 spm is 1.1255088 % more not 4 x 3. The higher the spm the bigger the mistake.
Or am I reading your posting wrong ?

nharrigan
500m Poster

Post by nharrigan » September 13th, 2006, 3:58 pm

HJS- I think you are right about compounding the 3% increase. Although there is still a discrepancy as Francois points out.

Pace in Watts= 2kWatts * [.5 + .03^(X(in spm)-16)]

For 26spm that would give you 332w or 1:41.7m/500 vs. 1:40.

Its still pretty close to the actual increase and its easy to remember. Though I'll stick with the tables, as I find them even simpler.

Mike- For the decreasing L1, do you keep the paces the same or increase them like the L2 3K/2.5k/2k.

Thanks,

Neil
1968 78kg 186cm

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » September 13th, 2006, 4:03 pm

HJS:
What your are proposing would fit better the values of Table 2 but there are still some discrepancies at higher spm.

In the graph below, you have in red the percentages of 2K Watts from Table 2 (ref. pace 1:36), in green is what you are proposing, and in blue is the 3% increment per spm that Mike mentioned.

Mike Caviston
2k Poster

Post by Mike Caviston » September 13th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Easy does it, people! I’m not announcing a wholesale restructuring of the WP. I just took a few minutes to describe something *I* am doing to create a new challenge (I’ve done millions of L4 meters over the past decade). To keep the math simple and the progression linear, I start with 16spm @ 200W and add 12 Watts for every spm increase. Since Watts & Pace don’t follow the same linear relationship, the absolute intensities diverge as the stroke rate increases. When developing the original WP L4 tables, I recognized the paces at higher rates were out of proportion regarding power requirement, but ignored the discrepancy in favor of keeping the format as simple as possible (all paces as whole numbers and a standard reduction per rate increment). If the power requirements using Watts vs. Pace don’t agree at 26spm, so what? If during 6 months of training you spend more than 10 minutes at 26spm in L4 workouts, you are doing something seriously wrong anyway.

Mike Caviston