testing strapless?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
csabour
1k Poster

testing strapless?

Post by csabour » September 12th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Guys i need advice. A 6k/5k is comming up in the near future for the entire program. It's kinda redundant for me because i will be rowing my single this season but I still want to do the test in order to pb so that i have somthing good to show coaches in university.

I just realized that im pretty much the only one of a decently sized group to give any thought to dumping weight at the finish so when i erged to warm up for a weight circuit with my team i started off rowing strapless. I told them to try it and they had extreme difficulty staying on the machine and giving any power or raising the rate.

The coach said that my finish was excellent just moments later and then we finished warming up and we went to do weights.

What i am thinking is that for this comming test i think it would impress alot of people if i did it strapless which would indicate that in a boat i would not be dumping my weight at the catch if for instance i was trying out for a charles crew.

First off. Im pretty sure that this might add some seconds to my time but at the same time it might impress coaches who see the time knowing that the others couldnt do the same without flying off the back of the erg.

Thoughts?

P.S. im 17 and in my senior year.

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » September 12th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I don't know anything about how coaches would look at this, although you could ask them if they care. But my guess is that it is not worth going 10-20 secs or more slower on the test just to be strapless; it would be better to be as fast as possible, with the coaches already knowing (and seeing) that you have good technique. Even if you strap in, you can focus on staying in control at the finish and rotating on the recovery so that you still look good.

I find strapping in for a 5k or 6k makes a big difference mentally, since at the beginning of the piece you have to work to keep your rate under control, so the pace feels easy, and then at the end of race you can hold or increase your SR more readily.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 12th, 2006, 4:05 pm

I'd say there is no point in doing that and risking a moment of silliness that can happen when "going for it" and leaving the stretcher.

Just strap in with the rest of the crew and do your thing, it will be obvious to any observer that is concerned enough to be looking that your ability and technique are different from the others.

If at all possible, don't take yourself out of the mix for Team boats, they are so much more fun than the 1x. While you may like all the credit/blame for performance, being able to share victories with teammates is a whole lot of fun. If you win in a 1x, others will congratulate you, but I've never found it quite the same. Though I've never won in a 1x, but have come 2nd, it was satisfying, but no one to "high five". JMO, YMMV.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."