Breathing and rowing

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » September 11th, 2006, 11:39 am

LJWagner wrote:I wonder if primitives eons ago worried about breathing when trying to escape whatever wanted to make them lunch ?

If breathing does not come naturally to you, there is a problem.
I'll bet they worried about it if they were swimming away from danger. Breathing for optimal performance isn't always intuitive.

I exhale on the drive. I don't do much low-stroke-rate work, so one breath per stroke works fine at low to moderately high intensity. Ease of inhaling at the catch is indirectly proportional to my BMI. :?

insen
Paddler

Post by insen » September 11th, 2006, 1:20 pm

ancho

I tried to "delegate" because I don't know if it is relevant any more...

PS: from 3305 registered users from all around the world, I get reminded of my laziness from my own country! :oops:
keep on going

hkp2ksk
Paddler

Post by hkp2ksk » September 20th, 2006, 3:16 pm

John,

minor correction. Val Salva is created by a glottal stop which causes airflow to either constrict or stop completely. Glottal stoppage is what allows folks to sing, btw.

w/ re to breathing: as much as you need to and no more than you have to with an open airway. I personally never synchronize my breathing either when moving weights or when rowing.

tony

grahamcawood
Paddler

Re: Breathing and rowing

Post by grahamcawood » May 31st, 2016, 3:55 am

I recommend the following breathing technique while rowing - erg or boat.
2 breaths per stroke - out at the catch, and the release. ALWAYS!!! The work will dictate the depth of the breaths, but the rhythm is constant.
Silent mouth breathing only.
Even the experts don't use more than about 80% of lung capacity, the other 20% being very expensive - try it! We use between 7% and 16% of available energy breathing. I suspect that it is cheaper to take 2 smaller breaths than one deep breath. It is also impossible to take one breath exceeding two 50% lung capacity breaths.
There is no point in using 2 breathing techniques - one or two breaths per stroke. I repeat - 2 breaths always!!! Let it become comfortable, and automatic.
Have fun!