Where can I find the best rowing info? internet, books, dvd?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Music2004Man
Paddler

Where can I find the best rowing info? internet, books, dvd?

Post by Music2004Man » September 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm

I'm looking for some suggestions for a newbie who is very excited about rowing and is trying to digest quality information and advice.

1. Where do you go on the internet (forums, websites, discussion groups) for quality rowing advice and conversation?

2. Which rowing books would you recommend reading?

3. Are there any DVD's or videos that you would suggest reading.

Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Alissa
2k Poster

Re: Where can I find the best rowing info? internet, books,

Post by Alissa » September 9th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Music2004Man wrote:1. Where do you go on the internet (forums, websites, discussion groups) for quality rowing advice and conversation?
Here isn't bad... :D But you might also want to look at the UK Forum for indoor rowing.

Eddie Fletcher does on-line coaching and posts articles of interest on his website: www.fletchersportscience.co.uk

Paul Smith posts quite a bit here and on the UKForum, and also does remote coaching: www.ps-sport.net

From a site with a number of examples of rowing stroke-cycles, here's one of Xeno Muller on an indoor rower: http://www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/pe ... o_erg.html
Music2004Man wrote:2. Which rowing books would you recommend reading??

I understand that ROWING FASTER by Volker Nolte is very well regarded. It is a compilation of chapters by a number of different coaches/rowers.
Music2004Man wrote:3. Are there any DVD's or videos that you would suggest reading.?
Xeno Muller has well-regarded DVDs which are available from his website, www.ironoarsman.com. (Xeno also teach classes and does coaching 1-on-1 in his rowing studio in California.)

Good luck!

Alissa

Music2004Man
Paddler

Post by Music2004Man » September 9th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Thank you Alissa! All of that info is greatly appreciated.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » September 9th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Music2004Man wrote:Thank you Alissa! All of that info is greatly appreciated.
You're welcome! I just saw that you're in Southern California. Xeno's indoor rowing studio is in Costa Mesa, and that would be a good place to get your technique sorted out...

It's where I row. :D

Alissa

Music2004Man
Paddler

Post by Music2004Man » September 9th, 2006, 8:08 pm

I'm actually in Pennsylvania but I have heard of Xeno and it would be awesome to go to his place someday.