Looking to Improve/Vary My Workout

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Pilsner
Paddler

Looking to Improve/Vary My Workout

Post by Pilsner » September 4th, 2006, 6:56 pm

I have had a C2 D for over a year and have been using it 3-4 times a week for general fitness, but I am ready to try to push it a little more and I am not sure where to look for guidance.

I used to run frequently but ankle problems plus the fact that I live on a steep hill made the C2 a better choice and so far I have usually done 20-45 minutes at varying paces and just recently started doing some simple intervals. I definitely enjoy and look forward to my rowing time and I like the workout. But I am not sure where to look for some overall programs that I could follow and I am tired of trying to make up a new workout on my own every time I get onto the rower.

Should I look mostly at this forum? Or the C2 website? Or can anyone recommend other places to look for general programs that are based on the rower? I am new to this forum and I don't know anyone who rows so I am not sure where to start. In fact I don't even know how to make sense of the figures on the PM 3 other than meters covered, strokes per minute and time elapsed. I usually just pick a distance or a time and then start a-rowing, with some periods of high speed followed by some slower time to recover.

My overall goals with the machine are not so much to become a competitive rower; rather, I want to keep my weight down, improve cardio health, and keep myself in overall good shape (although I still like my beer and cigarettes now and then). I am 40 years old, 6'3'' I weigh about 235 #. I can't afford a gym and I don't have a lot of time to devote to a fitness program (in fact I my wife is expecting a baby any day now) but I like the machine and want to put together a regular program based primarily on it.

I don't know how to gauge my progress or structure my workouts, and it seems that a lot of the training posts are pretty hardcore about using the ERG to be a better rower, rather than just generally getting or staying fit, so any info on how to put together a general fitness program and plan workouts with the C2 would be much appreciated. THanks a lot!

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 4th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Looking to Improve/Vary My Workout

Post by Bob S. » September 4th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Pilsner wrote:I have had a C2 D for over a year and have been using it 3-4 times a week for general fitness, but I am ready to try to push it a little more and I am not sure where to look for guidance.

I used to run frequently but ankle problems plus the fact that I live on a steep hill made the C2 a better choice and so far I have usually done 20-45 minutes at varying paces and just recently started doing some simple intervals. I definitely enjoy and look forward to my rowing time and I like the workout. But I am not sure where to look for some overall programs that I could follow and I am tired of trying to make up a new workout on my own every time I get onto the rower.

Should I look mostly at this forum? Or the C2 website? Or can anyone recommend other places to look for general programs that are based on the rower? I am new to this forum and I don't know anyone who rows so I am not sure where to start. In fact I don't even know how to make sense of the figures on the PM 3 other than meters covered, strokes per minute and time elapsed. I usually just pick a distance or a time and then start a-rowing, with some periods of high speed followed by some slower time to recover.

My overall goals with the machine are not so much to become a competitive rower; rather, I want to keep my weight down, improve cardio health, and keep myself in overall good shape (although I still like my beer and cigarettes now and then). I am 40 years old, 6'3'' I weigh about 235 #. I can't afford a gym and I don't have a lot of time to devote to a fitness program (in fact I my wife is expecting a baby any day now) but I like the machine and want to put together a regular program based primarily on it.

I don't know how to gauge my progress or structure my workouts, and it seems that a lot of the training posts are pretty hardcore about using the ERG to be a better rower, rather than just generally getting or staying fit, so any info on how to put together a general fitness program and plan workouts with the C2 would be much appreciated. THanks a lot!
I checked out the C2 site itself and this seemed to be the most applicable page:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/goa ... rkouts.asp

It is about weight loss, but I think that it is appropriate for just general conditioning as well. You also check out the C2 U.K. forum. There are several training program mentioned there.

Bob S.