Where to Start?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
KC
Paddler

Where to Start?

Post by KC » August 9th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm new and have just purchased a Concept 2. I've been using the Concept 2 on and off in my gym for some time now, and really liked the workout.

Now I'm a proud owner I've found there is so much to read and look at I'm a little lost. I'm looking for some advice and hoping you guys could help out?

At the moment I'm just doing a straight 2000m every morning. I'm 6'2" and 172 lbs. I'm reasonably fit, well not poor anyway. I'm doing the 2000m in about 8 mins without too much effort.

I'd like to build a good level of general fitness (cardio) and if possible use the machine to build muscle and tone. I have to say the lean but strong muscled look sported by keen rowers would be my idea of a great physique.

So where to start? Would really enjoy your thoughts and help.

Many thanks

KC

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » August 9th, 2006, 9:32 pm

The official site of the world rowing association has some good basic materials

http://www.worldrowing.com/index.php?pageid=69

Stephen Seiler, an exercise physiologist and rower, has a useful site:

http://home.hia.no/%7Estephens/rowing.htm

The concept 2 uk site has an excellent training guide:

http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/

If you search the forum archives for Wolverine Plan, you'll find lots of good stuff.

Tom

Tom

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » August 10th, 2006, 6:30 pm

KC,

Welcome to erging and the forum. sounds like you and I have about the same body type. I am 6'1" and about 172. I found that I have achieved the best results by doing low rate work. For the last 3 months I have been doing all my workouts at a rate of 20 which seems to work my muscular system more than when I was doing higher rate stuff. I have noticed more tone and shape to my muscles.

What rate are you doing your morning 2K's? There are a lot of different plans out there, you just have to find the one that works best with the amount of time you have to erg each day. My time is very limited so I have adopted a slow progression plan that Jim Pisano uses and have had very good results.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

KC
Paddler

Post by KC » August 11th, 2006, 6:21 am

Thanks Tom. I'm looking at those now.

Rich,

Thanks also for getting back to me. My time is also pretty limited in the mornings. Like you maybe, th mad rush to get everything done before I go to work.

So being totally new I have to ask what you mean by rate? Resistance on the machine is set to between 6 and 7. But I don't think thats wht your asking.

Also search on the forum seem to be broken right now. Do you have a direct link to a post with Jim's plan?

Thanks

Ray79
1k Poster

Post by Ray79 » August 11th, 2006, 6:38 am

The Rate relates to how many stroke you take in a minute
Pace refers to time per 500m (so for an 8minute 2km the pace would be 2:00/500m)

The rate 20 workouts that Rich suggests are good for building a strong stroke, but for these I would suggest that you drop the resistance down to something more like 3-4 (a drag factor of 125-135 - this can be displayed by going to; More options ---> Display Drag factor, on the PM3 monitor). This is important as it will help to prevent injury.

Low rates are notoriously hard for some people, but what you need to remember is you slow the rate on the recovery. The rowing stroke is a constant cycle, starting at the catch and endng at the catch, it should be smooth and unsegmented. Power on the drive and slow on the recovery.

2km is in many peoples eyes much too short a distance to be rowing, and I have to say I agree. Try to add a bit more distance, building up to 10km pieces, and mix it up a little if you must by changing rates and paces to prevent boredom. 2km a day every day is only 14km a week, and many here and on the UK forum would do that distance daily - I am not being critical, thats just the way it is.

Look at some of the training guides that Tom suggests and work out a weekly plan to build in some distance rowing. you will be suprised how addictive it becomes. And most importantly enjoy yourself and best of luck
Ray Hughes, Milton Keynes Rowing Club
28, 6ft 5 (195 cms), 74kg (163 lb).
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1195826361.png[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/mr2maniac/ppirc7-1.jpg[/img]

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » August 11th, 2006, 10:46 am

Ray79 wrote: The rate 20 workouts that Rich suggests are good for building a strong stroke, but for these I would suggest that you drop the resistance down to something more like 3-4 (a drag factor of 125-135 - this can be displayed by going to; More options ---> Display Drag factor, on the PM3 monitor). This is important as it will help to prevent injury.

Low rates are notoriously hard for some people, but what you need to remember is you slow the rate on the recovery. The rowing stroke is a constant cycle, starting at the catch and endng at the catch, it should be smooth and unsegmented. Power on the drive and slow on the recovery.

2km is in many peoples eyes much too short a distance to be rowing, and I have to say I agree. Try to add a bit more distance, building up to 10km pieces, and mix it up a little if you must by changing rates and paces to prevent boredom. 2km a day every day is only 14km a week, and many here and on the UK forum would do that distance daily - I am not being critical, thats just the way it is.

Look at some of the training guides that Tom suggests and work out a weekly plan to build in some distance rowing. you will be suprised how addictive it becomes. And most importantly enjoy yourself and best of luck
Ray brings up two excellent points. I have my damper set at 6 but I live at 7,000ft. so it equates to about 120 DF. If you are at sea level, you definitely want to bring the Drag factor down.

Also, as Ray said, make the stroke a constant fluid movement with no pauses. When I first started working at r20, I had a hard time getting the timinin right and was pausing before the catch which is not good.

The link to thread that details the plan I am following is:

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4308[/code]
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » August 11th, 2006, 1:03 pm

There is considerable disagreement about the finer points of various training plans, most of it friendly. Rowing at a stroke rate of 20 is going to be good hard work, but some of us don't limit our SR, or row with so low a SR all the time. For example, I mostly row my training rows at 10 meters per stroke, which you would achieve by taking a stroke every time the counter hits 0. How many strokes you take per minute is then determined by how fast you are going (how low your pace is).

But I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. I agree that the first initial goal of anyone starting out is to work up to rowing at least medium distances, so work up to a 5k, then 6k, then 30 min, then 10k, etc. Do that at a "reasonable" stroke rate, 20 if you choose, but certainly less than 25. Try to work on proper technique, and maybe get feedback on technique and/or study the video, postings, here, etc. Many of unstrap our feet and row strapless. You may want to try that, since it can help with technique, and will almost certainly slow the SR down.

Enjoy.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

KC
Paddler

Post by KC » August 12th, 2006, 7:38 am

Some great pointers here. Thanks guys.

I'm going to read through the suggested reading materials but will likely start working my distances up almost immeditately. I suspect I may also try strapless to help improve my technique.

Thanks again.

KC