On learning to scull

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Ray79
1k Poster

Post by Ray79 » August 3rd, 2006, 1:33 pm

Bob S. wrote:Actually, the pair is probably the best place to learn sweep rowing - after a rower has developed a reasonable proficiency at sculling.
I agree Bob, its just my coaching skills were probably not up to much. It was more of a "theres a pair rigged up - lets go", quick run through the blade movement and we were off

He wasnt a bad sculler - picked it up unbelievably quickly actually. So i felt fairly confident with him. But one minor mistake and we were in. Needless to say we never went in again :wink:

I too learned to row backwards - Started in an 8 and worked down to 4's, pairs, Quads and doubles.

I dont mind what boat Im in, but as i said my favorite is a 4- (if someone else is steering). Doubles are fun too, and you can get quite a bit of speed up in them too.
Ray Hughes, Milton Keynes Rowing Club
28, 6ft 5 (195 cms), 74kg (163 lb).
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1195826361.png[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/mr2maniac/ppirc7-1.jpg[/img]

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » August 3rd, 2006, 1:36 pm

Ray79 wrote: And now that you are well and truely hooked mark, do you ever wonder why you never tried it 20 years ago or so? Even I regret not taking it up when it was first suggested to me when I was 19 - I didnt actually start til I was 24.
Ray:

All good advice and counsel. I know I'm up for a few dunkings before the small boat class and certification test is over. Part of the exam is to flip a single and get back in without drowning.

:D

Your 20 year question is interesting. I never knew anything much about rowing until maybe 5 or 6 years ago ... other than to watch it during the Olympics. But, I do wonder what it would have led to if I had started earlier ... just like (finally) learning a second language at 40 (Italian) ... guess the moral of the story is do lots of things, as soon as you can, and have a blast doing them ... but because you haven't done them earlier, don't not do them now. In fact, start IMMEDIATELY.

Plus, if your parents say, "You'll regret stopping doing (fill in the blank) when you get older.", you likely will!

-- Mark
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

TPMcT
Paddler

Post by TPMcT » August 3rd, 2006, 1:42 pm

I got a good laugh out of the following, which is from Ed Hewitt's coverage of the ongoing US national trials on row2k.com (http://www.row2k.com/worlds/features.cfm?ID=1137):
And it [the day's racing] wasn't without the theater that can sometimes come from the almost neighborly familiarity that many of the rowers have with one another, even (and sometimes especially) in competing boats. In one of the men's pairs, as the crew was locking on the stake the bowman asked "Is there a rating cap on this piece?" The earnest and diligent stakeboat holder relayed the message to the starting officials, only to find out that the bowman was only kidding.
Tim McTighe

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » August 3rd, 2006, 1:43 pm

Bob S. wrote: But I must admit that it doesn't really belong on this forum which is devoted to indoor rowing. In fact, there are some forum members who have expressed disdain for those of us who venture out on the water. I have sometimes wondered if there is a similar forum for OTW rowers. I think that there probably is, but since I no longer have access to a shell, I haven't made the effort to search the net for such a site.

Bob S.
Bob:

I guess I look at it this way. If you don't like a topic, don't read it. If you don't like someones posts, "ignore" them. Don't complain. There's great synergy between the erg and OTW. Let's face it, without OTW programs, C2 would have no business today because nobody would have bought an erg unless it was to improve fitness for rowing (and allow for winter training) when they first got started.

My flippant response was going to be, "Who cares?" -- which is how I truly feel.

:lol:

-- Mark
Mark Pukita
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » August 3rd, 2006, 1:45 pm

TPMcT wrote:I got a good laugh out of the following, which is from Ed Hewitt's coverage of the ongoing US national trials on row2k.com (http://www.row2k.com/worlds/features.cfm?ID=1137):
And it [the day's racing] wasn't without the theater that can sometimes come from the almost neighborly familiarity that many of the rowers have with one another, even (and sometimes especially) in competing boats. In one of the men's pairs, as the crew was locking on the stake the bowman asked "Is there a rating cap on this piece?" The earnest and diligent stakeboat holder relayed the message to the starting officials, only to find out that the bowman was only kidding.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark Pukita

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » August 3rd, 2006, 3:24 pm

Bob wrote:
In fact, there are some forum members who have expressed disdain for those of us who venture out on the water. I have sometimes wondered if there is a similar forum for OTW rowers.
Hi Bob,

Here is one such site. It's not very active, and my impression is that it's not very friendly either.

http://www.rowersworld.com/Community/

Byron

tennstrike
1k Poster

Concept2 "a passion for rowing"

Post by tennstrike » August 3rd, 2006, 5:04 pm

Bob S. wrote:
But I must admit that it doesn't really belong on this forum which is devoted to indoor rowing. In fact, there are some forum members who have expressed disdain for those of us who venture out on the water.
Hi Bob:

I think this is a perfect forum for this thread. I am certain that everyone at Concept2 would agree, after all the following is from the Home Page:

"Concept2 is committed to the sport of rowing and rowers everywhere — on and off the water. We have a passion for rowing that runs through everything we do. If you have a question or suggestion, or just want to share your passion for rowing, we'd like to hear from you."

I'm sure you must have seen some expression of disdain or you would not have typed it. I never have, however.
6'1" 192lb 60
500 1:38.7 | 1K 3:29.2 | 2K 7:16.9 | 5K 19:14.0 | 6K 23:12.3 | 10K 39:40.5 | Started rowing June05

Gus
1k Poster

Re: Concept2 "a passion for rowing"

Post by Gus » August 3rd, 2006, 5:20 pm

I'm sure C2 has an interest in rowing. The erg is mainly a training tool for rowers that has become a "sport" unto itself. However, I think C2 sells a few of their oars. We have hundreds of them.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm

mpukita wrote:
Bob S. wrote: But I must admit that it doesn't really belong on this forum which is devoted to indoor rowing. In fact, there are some forum members who have expressed disdain for those of us who venture out on the water. I have sometimes wondered if there is a similar forum for OTW rowers. I think that there probably is, but since I no longer have access to a shell, I haven't made the effort to search the net for such a site.

Bob S.
Bob:

I guess I look at it this way. If you don't like a topic, don't read it. If you don't like someones posts, "ignore" them. Don't complain. There's great synergy between the erg and OTW. Let's face it, without OTW programs, C2 would have no business today because nobody would have bought an erg unless it was to improve fitness for rowing (and allow for winter training) when they first got started.

My flippant response was going to be, "Who cares?" -- which is how I truly feel.

-- Mark
I suppose that I didn't express it properly. I did say at the outset that this thread is one of my favorites as well. I just wanted to point out that not everyone feels that way. One forumite in particular said as much in rather virulent terms. That member is on my ignore list, so I haven't seen any such messages recently. However, there have been others who seem to have an us and them attitude with regard to OTW rowers and ergers, they just didn't put it in such strong terms. I think that this is regrettable, but I can see that part of it is a backlash reaction as a result of encounters with rowers who regard erging as a complete waste of time or just an annoying chore that they are stuck with in the winter.

I wasn't really seriously suggesting that the topic should be banned, but, to me it has just a touch of irony.

Bob S.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 3rd, 2006, 5:55 pm

mpukita wrote:

Bob S.
Bob:

-- Mark
I suppose that I didn't express it properly. I did say at the outset that this thread is one of my favorites as well. I just wanted to point out that not everyone feels that way. One forumite in particular said as much in rather virulent terms. That member is on my ignore list, so I haven't seen any such messages recently. However, there have been others who seem to have an us and them attitude with regard to OTW rowers and ergers, they just didn't put it in such strong terms. I think that this is regrettable, but I can see that part of it is a backlash reaction as a result of encounters with rowers who regard erging as a complete waste of time or just an annoying chore that they are stuck with in the winter.

I wasn't really seriously suggesting that the topic should be banned, but, to me it has just a touch of irony.

Bob S.

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » August 3rd, 2006, 7:25 pm

Don't spoil this thread by argueing over whether it belongs here or not.

I'm sure there are plenty of gym rats reading this that would love to try OTW rowing. It is up to us OTW forumites to help these guys out and make that connection.

I was fortunate enough, many, many years back, for a skiing friend to introduce me to his rowing club. He heard that I used a Tanturi Indoor Rower (with the old style Hydrolic pistons.....yes I'm embarassed to admit that I used one) for my XC Ski training. He said "Why don't you come down to my club Roland and try the real thing".

I have never looked back since. Not only did I learn to row on the water but was also introduced to my first decent rowing machine, a model B Concept 2 erg. Quite a leap forward from that Tanturi hydrolic piston thing.

Like-wise we need to help others missing the connection. If you enjoy the rhythmn of the C2 erg then you'll simply fall in love with feeling the run on a rowing boat as it glides along the water with each stroke. Grabbing the water with your oar and pushing the boat away with your legs. As you apply more power the boat starts to rise out of the water. It's such a great feeling to experience.

I know of several once regular forumites that recently tried OTW rowing and got hooked on it. Perhaps we can open a thread on this forum where people can register their interest in giving OTW rowing a go. Then the experienced OTW rowers here can help them out make that connection.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

Joanvb
500m Poster

Post by Joanvb » August 3rd, 2006, 9:13 pm

I'm enjoying the descriptions of where you all row, how some of you started, and Mark's learn to row experiences :).

Mark, what worked well for me, when learning, was lots of time rowing in a wherry (wide training single), working on pointers and tips from "experts." At the time I began sculling, there happened to be several Olympic scullers here who were very helpful (actually, some of them are still here...just a little older! :) ) Sounds like you're getting a lot of coaching...Now, it's probably just taking the time to go out and work on different things by yourself, once you get in a training-type single.

Are you rowing by yourself with the "flying foxes," Roland? Very exotic! I got a bit of a surprise yesterday when a large sea lion surfaced right off the stern of my boat, tossing a squid...not an uncommon sight here, but not usually so close to my boat...Nothing compared to your experiences, though. Sounds fun!

Several years ago, I was standing on the dock, talking to someone in their single a few yards off, when a baby seal (sea lion?) crawled up on his bow deck....Very cute.

Of course it's okay to talk about rowing here...I love my Concept 2 oars, too. (Sculling and sweep!) :)
Joan Van Blom
58 Ltwt.
Long Beach Rowing Association

dennish
500m Poster

Post by dennish » August 3rd, 2006, 9:48 pm

Wow, Roland. I was rowing on the Yarra in 2002 when the world masters games were in Melbourne. Four of us from the states went down and rowed an 8 with Jamie MacDonald and four of his mates from the Yarra Yarra club. We probable passed and never knew it. Small small world. I thought Ballarat was a very special place. The venue could use some work, the reeds, but then it was getting a bit old by 2002. Back to the Rocky Mountain rowing club venue(Cherry Creek State Park Reservoir). We have about 2400m on a diagonal accross the lake, if you row the perimeter its about 3 miles. Up a Lake Dillon they have about 20 miles of perimeter and a long finger of the lake where the rowing club works thats about 3500m. ~~~ pairs still creep me out. If your not matched damned close they can be a harrowing experience. Bob S, just to keep you undated, Dean Smith is out every morning in a single now, using a new Peinert or an older Fisa. He has had his share of dumps, as have we all. My favourite was a coach saying, "try this dennis. I've never tried it before but I think it would help you at the catch" Next thing I knew I was gettting back in the scull and hearing him say. "Hmmm guess that doesn't work" Duh. Thanks for all the good stuff. dennis

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » August 3rd, 2006, 10:54 pm

Roland:

Great story about how you got into rowing, and rowing OTW. I'm up for helping others get up the motivation to try the OTW thing ... when you get even a reasonable stroke, the way the power translates into moving the boat is incredible. Slow, slow, slow, technique, technique, technique. Today, my problem was not chickening out and breaking the arms way, way too early ... to artificially "rush" ( ha ha ) the stroke to think it would help me keep up with the big guys ... when just the opposite was true. Once I just got into arms away, body over, up the slide, flip, catch, down the slide, back over, arms in ... and stayed with it until it naturally worked out, the synchronization and the transfer of power to the water was an awesome feeling. Yeah, you see it on the monitor, but in the boat, you feel it the whole time.

Joan:

I don't think we use the wider trainers for the small boat class ... to do it, you need to have finished LTR (learn to row) 1 and 2, so you're pretty comfortable in a boat ... but certainly not a single or double (or pair) for that matter. It sounds like it's a "sink or swim" kind of thing. Not sure I'm looking forward to that ... where we row the water is not exactly "pristine". My brother-in-law has a cottage with a wonderful multi-level dock on a lake in northern Ontario. I'm thinking, "How cool would it be to take a single up there and just putter around the lake in the morning for thousands of meters?" In the mornings, the lake is dead still, as it's pretty protected and has several islands, so there is not that much uninterrupted fetch (had to look that term up ... forgot it and could not for the life of me remember the term) to generate much rough water ... just ski boats once the hangovers wear off. By that time, I'll have eaten breakfast and lunch and be ready for a nap in the hammock!

Love it.

-- Mark
Mark Pukita

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 3rd, 2006, 11:07 pm

Joanvb wrote: Several years ago, I was standing on the dock, talking to someone in their single a few yards off, when a baby seal (sea lion?) crawled up on his bow deck....Very cute.
I hope that it had a hard deck rather than thin fabric. Your story reminds me of the time that I saw AC dive in the water and pull himself up onto the back deck of a wherry to better coach the beginner who was rowing it.

Bob S.