help! I live in the middle of GA....

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
monicaf17
Paddler

help! I live in the middle of GA....

Post by monicaf17 » July 20th, 2006, 8:44 pm

I am very new to rowing....a few days..... and have been searching for gyms that may have a trainer that is experienced with the erg in my area. I have found only rowing clubs that offer expensive classes. It is very important for me to learn the proper technique right from the beginning and feel that I should have someone watch me even if it is just a couple of times.
I have wanted this rower for a long time and finally have it! I am very eager to get going so any suggestions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » July 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Call the Rowing clubs and ask if they are doing any Erging sessions that you can attend. Explain that you just purchased an Erg and would like to get started on the right track. No coach I've ever met would not be happy to help someone in your situation out. They may charge a nominal fee, but it's worth it in the long run.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

monicaf17
Paddler

thanks Paul

Post by monicaf17 » July 20th, 2006, 8:58 pm

I will definitely do that. Until I find someone I am going to just keep going slow and focusing on my form. It's been a couple of days and I feel no discomfort in weird places...so I think I am safe at this pace for now.

mcj22
Paddler

post a video? xeno dvd?

Post by mcj22 » July 20th, 2006, 9:33 pm

If you can, post a video clip on this site and you should get some good tips. I have seen several people do this before with lots of feedback. I've also heard (though I haven't bought one) that the Xeno rowing instruction DVD's are excellent.

monicaf17
Paddler

Post by monicaf17 » July 20th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Thanks mcj22. I will look into the videos because all I have now is the one that came with my erg. It's good but short.

newby5
Paddler

Post by newby5 » July 21st, 2006, 10:21 pm

Hi I sent you a private message but I have never sent one before and I am not sure it went thru. Hope you got it.

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » July 22nd, 2006, 11:53 am

Here's the best advice anyone could give: buy one of these DVD's (I recommend #4)
http://www.gorow.com/indoor_rowing_DVD.htm

Best $23 you will ever spend, a picture (or DVD) is worth a thousand words.

monicaf17
Paddler

thanks

Post by monicaf17 » July 22nd, 2006, 1:16 pm

I did not get your PM NEWBY5, maybe you could use the mail function.

I went to the website for the dvds and I think I will get #4. Thanks CHGOSS!

Thanks again for everyones suggestions. It is really nice to have this network of newcomers and experienced rowers. It gives me one more reason to be thankful I purchased the Concept 2.

newby5
Paddler

tried again

Post by newby5 » July 22nd, 2006, 11:40 pm

I tried again,hope it went thru.