Training band and heart rate...

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
IMready2row
Paddler

Training band and heart rate...

Post by IMready2row » June 26th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Hello all,

I downloaded a 24 week weight loss rowing program from the UK training site. 4-5 days a week. I should be at my goal weight by mid-December, yippy! I have about an hour for "me" time, thus, I row :D .

Anyway, it says for training in the UT2 band, you should row at 18-20spm and be able to carry on a coversation. It should be relaxed. I am not used to doing that. Am I training incorrectly if the majority of my work falls between 22-27spm and 2:15-2:27/500m? Am I no longer in the fat burning zone? I will try and work differently if that is what it take to burn off the old tire :lol: . Oh, and where does heart rate fall into the equation?

I am also following the weight watchers point plan.

Thanks. I've been rowing since April 2006. My technique has improved tremendously and I really row well (at least I think so, LOL). I know I am getting stronger, and I have already lost some weight.

Thanks and as always...

ERG ON!

Maria
Maria
Wife to Yodi
Mom to Sarah and Paul
Dedicated to rowing

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/8;10732;0/c/383649/t/1000000/u/meters/m/IMready2row+all+the+way/k/8ad5/exercise.png[/img]
[/url]

mpukita
2k Poster

Post by mpukita » June 27th, 2006, 7:20 am

Maria:

Good for you that you are following a plan. Here's my take on how you can start to optimize it now that you're on one ...

What's your heart rate when doing these workouts? It's best to try to balance heart rate, stroke rate, and pace ... they all tie together. 22 to 27 for a UT2 workout is high.

One recommendation is to follow the plan using the stroke rate guidelines suggested for each training zone, and do it at a pace that allows you to control your heart rate to stay within the HR range that's also suggested.

To do this, you'll need to be able to monitor your heart rate while training (several options ... watches, chest band and receiver for the C2, etc.) and will need to establish your personal heart rate ranges based on your max heart rate (or calculating it). The IP you downloaded has plenty of information on how to find your personal heart rate ranges.

Hope this helps ... Mark
Mark Pukita
48 / 5'7" or 1.70 m / 165 lbs. or 75 kg
1:38.3 (500m) 07NOV05// 3:35.2 (1K) 05NOV06// 07:10.7 (2K LW) 25FEB07// 20:16.0 (5K) 20OCT05// 23:54.1 (6K) 20DEC06// 7,285 (30min) 27NOV05// 41:15.7 (10K) 19NOV05// 14,058 (60min) 29NOV05

julieofarc
Paddler

Re: Training band and heart rate...

Post by julieofarc » July 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Hi Maria- I think the theory behind the varied workout rates is that at lower rates you burn more fat and less carbs, thus helping with weight loss by burning your stored fat and using less carbs that are in your system already. For example, the UK C2 site says that at UT2 you're burning 60% fat/ 40% carbs on up to Max HR you're burning 0% fat/ 100% carbs. I can't find the chart right now- have you seen it? For those of us losing weight, the former is obviously the better choice.

As far as how you're training right now, it totally depends on your goals. For me personally, I need to do two things: 1) Train for OTW fall head races (5K) and 2) Lose weight. The goals aren't mutually exclusive, but I do spend a lot more time in the higher intensity ranges now because of the race training rather than the lower ones. (I am focusing my off-water time on L4/ UT2 stuff.) So, what are you trying to accomplish? If it's purely for weight loss, then yeah, you should slow down and lengthen up your workouts. Mark's suggestions are on the money. A year ago, my UT2 type stuff was at 2:45ish (slow!), and now I can stay at about 2:20 and keep in range at that 18-20 spm and keep up a conversation. You'll find that as your fitness level rises, your times for UT2 splits will drop. These are by far my favorite kinds of workouts (closely followed by pyramids). :)- just get in the zone and stay there. Watch a movie, listen to a book on tape, etc. You can also use something like the Wolverine plan to generate some more 'fun' UT2 workouts (called L4's) that vary stroke rating and splits, just to keep it interesting. (I'm a person who likes playing the mind math games with the PM).

I just bought a heart rate monitor today in order to help me track WW points from my OTW training (Xeno's recommendation). I'm not losing consistenly, and I think that's related to not enough food, rather than the opposite (getting into that starvation mode). I'd love to hear what you think if you get one. I'll try to check back with you in a week or so and let you know what I think about the HR monitor. I'm really curious to see what I'm actually doing OTW (on the erg, I have a pretty good idea, but in the boat I'm pretty distracted keeping up with technique, listening to the cox, etc. and don't really notice how hard/slow I'm going).

I've been long winded enough- let us know what you discover, okay?

Julie in CO

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 15th, 2006, 3:55 pm

julieofarc wrote:at UT2 you're burning 60% fat/ 40% carbs on up to Max HR you're burning 0% fat/ 100% carbs. I can't find the chart right now- have you seen it? For those of us losing weight, the former is obviously the better choice.
That is not exactly correct.

You are always burning at least the same or more fat the higher the intensity.

At 100% effort you are burning more fat than at 70% but the primary energy source becomes carbs.

The difference is that you are not able to hold a 100% effort for very long, but you can learn to maintain a 70% effort for a couple of hours, or a 50% effort all day.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

julieofarc
Paddler

Post by julieofarc » July 15th, 2006, 5:58 pm

John Rupp wrote: That is not exactly correct.

At 100% effort you are burning more fat than at 70% but the primary energy source becomes carbs.
I'm not sure what exactly your point is, John. You can read the charts on page 10 here http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/pdfs/tr ... pter_3.pdf

What you want to translate them as is up to you.... What it read is not what you are saying, but hey, why let that stop ya? :roll:

Julie

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » July 16th, 2006, 12:29 pm

julieofarc wrote:
John Rupp wrote: That is not exactly correct.

I'm not sure what exactly your point is, John. You can read the charts on page 10 here http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/pdfs/tr ... pter_3.pdf

What you want to translate them as is up to you.... What it read is not what you are saying, but hey, why let that stop ya? :roll:

Julie
While the percentage of calories burned through fat metabolism changes as the intensity increases, the total number of calories also goes up, so you may be burning off a larger number of fat calories at a higher intensity even though it is a smaller percentage of the whole. If you are burning 50% fat calories while rowing @ a rate that metabolizes 400 calories/hour that's 200 calories of fat burned in an hour. Turn up the intensity and row at a rate of 1000 calories/hour and your percentage derived from fat metabolism may drop quite a bit, but if it is over 20%, you're still burning off more total fat than you did at the slower pace, providing you can sustain the higher intensity for the same duration. Numbers in this paragraph are for illustrative purposes only, your mileage will certainly vary!

If you are creating a moderate net calorie deficit, the weight will gradually come off regardless of whether you generate the deficit with high intensity (primarily carb-fueled) or lower intensity (more fat metabolism) sessions, if the bulk of the work is aerobic in nature. Low intensity sessions are often easier to tolerate, especially for people just starting out on a fitness plan, and so they get the recommendation typically provided ("do this if you want to burn fat and lose weight"). If the objective is to get rid of fat, do lots of longer rows and make sure to eat a corresponding amount of complex carbohydrates to fuel them (but no more than the extra calories burned off by carbohydrate metabolism in the long rows). Some experimentation may be required to find the right intensity that allows you to burn the most total calories of fat in the workout time available for that goal.

Bill

IMready2row
Paddler

Post by IMready2row » July 17th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Thank you for all the tips and help. I am consistently keeping my spm at ~20spm and my intensity at ~ 2:20-2:27/500 which keeps my heart rate at 150 (my range for the UT2 band is 123 bpm - 153bpm). I am trying very hard to concentrate on quality protein and proper carbohydrates but I have a sweet tooth and have to be careful (sometimes a piece of fruit just CAN NOT take the place of a cookie, LOL :lol: ).

Anyway, I know that I am losing weight and better yet, losing inches and firming up what I have. The rowing machine has been my blessing and I feel great. In April, I was 40 and felt fat and old. In June I turned 41 and now, a month later, I feel great and strong and beautiful!

I love the C2!!!

Erg on...

Maria
Maria
Wife to Yodi
Mom to Sarah and Paul
Dedicated to rowing

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/8;10732;0/c/383649/t/1000000/u/meters/m/IMready2row+all+the+way/k/8ad5/exercise.png[/img]
[/url]

aussiequadrider
Paddler

Post by aussiequadrider » July 22nd, 2006, 12:31 am

While the percentage of calories burned through fat metabolism changes as the intensity increases, the total number of calories also goes up, so you may be burning off a larger number of fat calories at a higher intensity even though it is a smaller percentage of the whole. If you are burning 50% fat calories while rowing @ a rate that metabolizes 400 calories/hour that's 200 calories of fat burned in an hour. Turn up the intensity and row at a rate of 1000 calories/hour and your percentage derived from fat metabolism may drop quite a bit, but if it is over 20%, you're still burning off more total fat than you did at the slower pace, providing you can sustain the higher intensity for the same duration. Numbers in this paragraph are for illustrative purposes only, your mileage will certainly vary!

If you are creating a moderate net calorie deficit, the weight will gradually come off regardless of whether you generate the deficit with high intensity (primarily carb-fueled) or lower intensity (more fat metabolism) sessions, if the bulk of the work is aerobic in nature. Low intensity sessions are often easier to tolerate, especially for people just starting out on a fitness plan, and so they get the recommendation typically provided ("do this if you want to burn fat and lose weight"). If the objective is to get rid of fat, do lots of longer rows and make sure to eat a corresponding amount of complex carbohydrates to fuel them (but no more than the extra calories burned off by carbohydrate metabolism in the long rows). Some experimentation may be required to find the right intensity that allows you to burn the most total calories of fat in the workout time available for that goal.

Bill[/quote]

Well said, hopefully it will help squash the myth of exercising slower will burn more fat than higher intensities.

Geoff.

orcadian1
Paddler

26 week weight loss program

Post by orcadian1 » August 29th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Maria,

Can you post the URL for the 26 week weight loss program you downloaded from the UK site? I'm using a Polar F11 which measures my VO2max in a fitness test and calculates something called my OwnZone limits. If I set the heart rate setting to OwnZone Light (60-70% HRmax, corresponding roughly to UT2) I may at last manage to lose weight instead of getting the munchies every time I workout.

Good luck with your program,

John