Seating Discomfort On Concept 2

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] WiZlon

Product

Post by [old] WiZlon » April 24th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I achieved one of my major weight goals in recent times - I lost a total of about 40 pounds. I'm feeling great about that, but it comes with an unusual and very much unwanted side effect:<br /><br />I find that if I sit and row on the Concept 2 rowing machine that my my "seat" gets very uncomfortable. After about 15 minutes, I've had enough - I have to endure quite noticeable discomfort to continue rowing (I can do it, but the fun quickly goes away). I bought the Concept 2 foam pad, and frankly, it made no difference. I have tried a few other things to make me more comfortable, but I've had very limited success.<br /><br />I don't know if the "pain in my !#$" is caused by my leg/glute muscles and/or my bones. It just seems so odd (and definitely uncomfortable!). Any suggestions to help "pad" the area and help make the problem go away (other than putting my 40LB fat back on - ain't gonna happen!)?<br /><br />Regards & thanks!<br /><br />WiZlon

[old] maf

Product

Post by [old] maf » April 24th, 2005, 6:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WiZlon+Apr 25 2005, 03:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(WiZlon @ Apr 25 2005, 03:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I achieved one of my major weight goals in recent times - I lost a total of about 40 pounds.  I'm feeling great about that, but it comes with an unusual and very much unwanted side effect:<br /><br />I find that if I sit and row on the Concept 2 rowing machine that my my "seat" gets very uncomfortable.  After about 15 minutes, I've had enough - I have to endure quite noticeable discomfort to continue rowing (I can do it, but the fun quickly goes away).  I bought the Concept 2 foam pad, and frankly, it made no difference.  I have tried a few other things to make me more comfortable, but I've had very limited success.<br /><br />I don't know if the "pain in my !#$" is caused by my leg/glute muscles and/or my bones.  It just seems so odd (and definitely uncomfortable!).  Any suggestions to help "pad" the area and help make the problem go away (other than putting my 40LB fat back on - ain't gonna happen!)?<br /><br />Regards & thanks!<br /><br />WiZlon <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey WiZlon,<br /><br />Well done on the weight loss!<br /><br />A few people reccomend a layer of bubblewrap as a quite effective improvement to the seat comfort, have you tried that?<br /><br />If you search, you will find that you are not alone <br /><br />Michael<br />

[old] WiZlon

Product

Post by [old] WiZlon » April 24th, 2005, 8:38 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />Hey WiZlon,<br /><br />Well done on the weight loss!<br /><br />A few people reccomend a layer of bubblewrap as a quite effective improvement to the seat comfort, have you tried that?<br /><br />If you search, you will find that you are not alone <br /><br />Michael <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks - I have not tried that, but I certainly will, sounds like a great idea!

[old] Canoeist

Product

Post by [old] Canoeist » April 25th, 2005, 8:32 am

Probably the best thing to do is keep at it a little every day. With time, your new body configuration will adapt. There was a time when I thought 5K was the limit for one sitting. Now I can sit through a marathon. (42K)<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] c2jonw

Product

Post by [old] c2jonw » April 25th, 2005, 8:49 am

Hi WiZlon, Definitely try the bubble wrap. I and others have also had some success with a folded bath towel. You can get a simple seat pad from us at <a href='http://www.concept2.com/products/extras/extras.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/products/extras/extras.asp</a> or a more elaborate pad from our UK dealer at <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/shop/seat_pad_deluxe.php' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/shop/seat_pad ... php</a><br />Certainly your body is going to adapt over time, but one sort of padding or another may make the transition easier. Good Luck JonW

[old] newkidintown

Product

Post by [old] newkidintown » April 27th, 2005, 7:19 am

Have the exact same problem, I folded up a beach towel and laid it on top of the seat.

[old] Stevo

Product

Post by [old] Stevo » April 27th, 2005, 8:32 am

I purchased the stick on pad from the Australian concept2 site - it's 6mm thick and works well

[old] WiZlon

Product

Post by [old] WiZlon » April 27th, 2005, 5:30 pm

Heh.<br /><br />Well I also bought the self-adhesive pad (and use it), and I've even tried towels. Limited success.<br /><br />I'm going to get some bubblewrap, however, as that is a new one for me and sounds hopeful. :-)<br /><br />Thanks for the advice folks, I really mean it - from the bottom of my, er bottom I guess. :-)

[old] FrankJ

Product

Post by [old] FrankJ » April 28th, 2005, 6:44 pm

WiZlon,<br /><br />I feel your pain. I've been rowing for 2 1/2 years and nearly 6 million meters and still cannot row more than about 30 minutes without a seat pad. I tried towels and bubble wrap with partial success. Now I use a 1/2" waffle foam backpacking sleep pad with holes cut to relieve the pain at the pressure points. I can now row marathons fairly comfortably. Don't be afraid to experiment.<br /><br />Frank

[old] CapeMary

Product

Post by [old] CapeMary » May 8th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Hi- I had a similar problem- lost 33 lbs and kept getting a pain in the right buttocks area, that would extend to my knee, even after purchasing the extra pad. I bought a small pillow designed for car travel i think, and that seems to be working for me.