Healthy Habits Group?

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » June 28th, 2006, 12:45 am

Wow Carole,

That is fantastic news that you have lost so much weight. Awesome!! :)

You'll be looking even better than usual in your unisuit now!! :P

Shannon
Female lightweight
Marathons completed: 3

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1155489270.png[/img]

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » June 28th, 2006, 1:47 am

I am sooo impressed Carole!

It seems to be important to count the calories of what I eat. Ideally my calorie deficit, between exercise and eating, should be 1000, so my eating can be flexible to accomodate my exercise.

I'm keeping my calorie deficit log with my logbook, which I rarely lose (as opposed to my keys :oops: ). So my big goal is to burn 87,500 calories, the equivalent of rowing 2 million meters, a huge but doable number. It's down to 84,945 already...hmm, I'm figuring out percent done and split times already...

LittleBit
Paddler

Post by LittleBit » June 29th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Margaret:
And I thought I was the annally retentive accounting type person!! (who can't spell by the way!) Romie's post was very encouraging also. Keep up the good habits, one & all!
Catherine

vickib
Paddler

I am in love!

Post by vickib » August 20th, 2006, 1:33 pm

I'm new to rowing.I turned 40 on 08/07 and I started running/walking that day.I've not missed a workout and now I have become a runner.My definition is someone that runs more time on the treadmill than walks.I run 16 mins and walk 14.I must tell you that I'm not enjoying running at all....I'm definately only suited to run with sailors or prison inmates because I cuss and groan ALOT!I saw an advert. in runnersworld for a Concept2 and spent a week or so bidding on a slightly used Concept2 model D with the PM3.My hubby put it together for me last night.I got on it and rowed with the resistance set at 1.I rowed for 1/2 hour and thought this is too easy.WOW! Was I wrong. Every muscle in my body felt like Jello! I named my Concept2 "Tequila" because it sneaks up on me.I rowed again this am for another 1/2 hour.I think my treadmill is in retirement.I rowed without the foot straps and I'm amazed at what muscles this seems to target.I'm obsessed with the scale and that's going to be my downfall.I know I shouldn't even step on it because unless it goes down everyday I'm a wreck.I think I may have to toss it out.Anyone else have this problem?

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » August 20th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Vickib,

Congratulations on getting your own rowing machine and for starting an exercise program. I think it is really important to choose an exercise that you enjoy, so if running isn't it, hopefully rowing is!

I had my rowing machine for years, but used it infrequently until I discovered the Ducks in a Row virtual team. Do you know about virtual teams? You log your metres and all metres add to the teams totals, it doesn't matter how fast you go at all. I really enjoyed watching my metre totals add up and found the Ducks in a Row team to be very supportive.

I think that focusing too much on the scale might not be a good thing, just because you could be putting on muscle and taking off fat, but it won't show up on the scale at first. Why not try setting one day/week as weigh-in day and leave it at that?

Good luck in your rowing journey. I used rowing as my main form of exercise to help me lose 48 pounds. I do several sports now that I am back in shape, but rowing is still an important part of my workout routine as I focus on maintaining my weight loss.

Shannon
Female lightweight

vickib
Paddler

Post by vickib » August 21st, 2006, 6:59 am

I'm on day two of my rower and week two of my birthday habit of working out.I stepped on the scale and I'm down to 164 lbs.That's a loss of 5.5 lbs.I've changed nothing but the amount of exercise I've done.I would rather work my butt off than diet.My eating habits are fairly good anyway.The only vices I have is a couple of tiny Dove bars a day and about 4 or 6 beers on the weekend.I eat 4 or 5 small meals a day.I don't think I eat much meat during the week.I am thinking I need to plan out my meals a little better so I've got an idea what I'm going to eat so I don't skip meals.
Sticking with something long enough to make it a habit has been my M.O.

Joining this forum might make this happen for me.

Thanks.

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » August 21st, 2006, 2:18 pm

Wow, congratulations on the 5.5 pounds weight loss Vicki! :D

I hear what you are saying about enjoying exercising more than dieting. I guess in order to keep the weight off, whatever you do has to be a lifestyle change that you can feel willing to stick with for years to come, just like you said, it's got to become a habit.

Keep on rowing!

Shannon
Female lightweight

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » September 1st, 2006, 11:17 pm

VickiB:

I was obsessed with weighing myself, then discovered my scale was 10 pounds off. I try to rely on monitoring my exercise & diet rather than on a scale, but weighing once a week can be helpful to see overall trends; as can size measurements.

foxyfeistyfun
Paddler

Weight

Post by foxyfeistyfun » September 5th, 2006, 8:10 am

I found the breakthrough for me was when I was encouraged to focus on being fit and lean as oppose 'losing weight'. Thus it was about improvement not reduction.

L