Obvious Newbie Questions

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Cayenne
1k Poster

Obvious Newbie Questions

Post by Cayenne » May 19th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Hello Good People,

I have used a C2 for years, but never developed a technical understanding beyond just getting on it and going for time and or distance. With a playful attitude, sometimes I'd go slow, sometimes I'd push hard. When my overall time or distance was done, so was I. ( I've been a numbers avoider and didn't want measurements to infringe upon my movement-fun-play.)

Now I'd like to utilize this great mechanism as a more transformative tool. (Seeking higher fitness levels and "lifetime" back/core prehab/rehab.) Accordingly, I'm sure I'd be well served to know some significant specifics.

In the FAQs and in many posts, one is advised to develop power at low stroke rates. I tend to keep the lever on the side of the fan between 1-4 ( mostly on the lower end,) as I understand this to be protective of the low back, again, a huge concern of mine and a major motivator in my wanting to "do" better with my erg.

My SPM are quite high, low to mid 30s and even higher. Does this mean the fan setting is too light ? Does it mean I am not pulling hard enough on each stroke ? If not, what does it mean and what steps do I take to improve and further explore this brave new world of "responsible rowing" ? :wink:

Also, does good technique call for an "explosive" pull and a "slow" return ?

TIA for answering these basic questions

Eddie

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 20th, 2006, 2:12 am

You're pulling very short. So first thing to do is warm up well and then make sure your stroke is long. Try touching the chainguard at the catch, then maybe back off an inch or two according to your height and geometry. Finish with a slight leanback, back straight, forearms level and your elbows behind you. Using your full extension for every stroke in rowing will produce major benefits when you're off the water/machine in terms of flexibility and fitness.

Don't worry about force, your youthful enthusiasm will take care of that; but the stroke MUST be right.

As control in long pieces if you're fit use intensity: 2W/kg @ 20 will do, +/-15%. If not, HR, keep it just above double the rest-rate.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » May 20th, 2006, 9:24 am

Thank you Jamesq.

Please explain, " 2W/kg @ 20 will do, +/-15%. If not, HR, keep it just above double the rest-rate" in simple terms.

Thanks,

Eddie

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » May 20th, 2006, 10:41 am

Cayenne wrote:Thank you Jamesq.

Please explain, " 2W/kg @ 20 will do, +/-15%. If not, HR, keep it just above double the rest-rate" in simple terms.

Thanks,

Eddie
set the erg on watt's instead of pace/500m. during the row you can alter this if you want, use the left button.

say you weigh 75 kg 2 w/kg this would be 75 x 2 = 150 watt, this plus 15 % or minus. roughly 127.5/172.5

HardGainer
Paddler

Post by HardGainer » May 20th, 2006, 5:45 pm

And "@ 20"? Do you mean 20 strokes per minute?

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » May 21st, 2006, 1:00 pm

JamesG, and/or others,

I am trying to do what you suggested and I believe I am doing it.
( The "chain guard" is the piece bolted onto the frame where the handle rests when erg not in use, yes ?)

This is pretty much what I've been doing all along. My numbers are still the same, ie; high 20s-high 30s SPM.

I tested the drag on my Model C for the first time today. Setting 1=92, Setting 10-200. How does this play in to the struggle I'm having ?

I'd like to have someone knowledgable watch me row and give me some tips. I'd rather do it live than via video. I live in Glen Cove, NY, USA. What would be the best way to find someone qualified to help me ?

Thanks

Eddie

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 22nd, 2006, 2:44 am

The bit you describe is the handle hook. The chainguard or guide is about 12" further forward and is the rectangular gasket around the vertical slot the chain passes through.

Suggest you have a look at the C2 sites for style videos, or

http://www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/pe ... o_erg.html
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » May 22nd, 2006, 10:47 am

JamesG,

I appreciate your additional feedback.

I will pay careful attention to the technique suggestions you've made. This observation especially is a very exciting prospect for me: To wit, "Using your full extension for every stroke in rowing will produce major benefits when you're off the water/machine in terms of flexibility and fitness. "

In addition, a suggestion that I've received off the forum seems to have very effectively helped to address my "elevated" SPM.

Simply, take my time on the recovery, which in turn allows/calls for a more powerful drive. This advice, along with the form suggestions you made, and I'm now seeing SPMs of 18-22.

Thank you very much !

Best,

Eddie

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » May 22nd, 2006, 11:54 am

Also, does good technique call for an "explosive" pull and a "slow" return ?
Hi Eddie,

Here is a tip I picked up from a couple of places, including Xeno Muller's newsletter: Think of the drive as a push, not a pull. You keep your arms straight, keep the forward body lean during the first part of the drive, and push with your legs. The only pulling is at the end of the drive.

I also have to be careful with my lower back, and I find it helps if I keep my back straight and keep the forward lean for the first part of the drive. Have you tried any of Xeno Muller's training DVD's? They're great.

Byron

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » May 22nd, 2006, 1:15 pm

Hi Byron,

Thanks for "watching my back" (groan).

While I've been careless about terminology, and I do realize the difference is significant - I get what you mean about push in the drive, which should NOT be a pull, etc.

Byron, if you have the time & inclination, which Xeno DVDs have been most helpful and why ?

As far as maintaining forward lean in the first part of the drive, does the imagery of pushing with your legs to "hit" something in the rear with your rear end, while you are slightly leaning forward, hinged at the hips, do justice to the emphasis you are describing ?

Finally, what are you riding in your avatar ? It's tough to fully see in the small photo. Seems cool, but I'm interested to know more fully what it is.

Best,

Eddie

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » May 22nd, 2006, 3:07 pm

As far as maintaining forward lean in the first part of the drive, does the imagery of pushing with your legs to "hit" something in the rear with your rear end, while you are slightly leaning forward, hinged at the hips, do justice to the emphasis you are describing ?
Hi Eddie,

Yep, you got it. Someone recently suggested that you pretend somebody is gently pushing against the small of your back with a fist to help keep your back straight. I started out with just one of Xeno's DVD's, the first one. I like it so much I started getting the others. I have all of the first four and I recently ordered his DVD's 5 and 6, which became available recently. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't comment on them.

My suggestion would be to get the first one if you want to get a good sample of what they're like. That's still my favorite. I also like his upper body indoor rowing workout DVD, which works on core strength and flexibility and some extra work on the arms. I like the 3 by 6 cardio workout a lot too. They're all great fun and time flies.

The vehicle in the avatar is my Irish Mail. It is rowing on wheels. Here is a link to a discussion about them:

http://www.math.msu.edu/~drachman/cycle/irishmail.html

Byron