How many women are we?

marilyn
Paddler

How many women are we?

Post by marilyn » May 10th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I am interested to organize regularly internet racing
for women. In the past me and other 6 were the only women
rowing online (and 193 men registered by supercanoa)
Except 1-2, the only women rowing online were programmers like me or
they were married with online rowers.

I think now, with a women online forum, there are more people
interested in the online rowing. I think the percentage of women
in Internet is increasing very fast

For this project, I am thinking about regular internet races
The first one will be at 20th May 2006 at different start times
I think a week after Mother's day should be fine

The distance is 5KM. The screen should be for us alone.
Pace is not important, but I was thinking that maybe somebody can have
problems if she is too slow. My pace would be about 2:10, what it is not
a fast pace

Somebody has idea how to honour the female rowers? Maybe we can have special rules, or something fun that
stimulate us to row together. Any ideas? Or the classic form, the fastest wins?

Marilyn
www.supercanoa.com

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » May 10th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Marilyn,

I have been seeing a bunch more women online lately. Before it was mostly just my sister, Krysta that I saw. I felt really intimidated about joining into speedy races when I knew everyone would have to wait for me to finish, so I am really glad to see the increased female presence on RowPro. On Monday I was in a 5K race online that had 5 women in it and it was great!

Is supercanoa different from RowPro? Is it different software?

May 20th is not a good day for me to join, because I have had a 2K attempt planned for a long time for that day, but I am interested in joining in with you for another time.

A pace of 2:10 for a 5K would be a bit too fast for me, my best is 2:14.6 for that distance. I know of a few other women who row online who are in the 2:11-2:22 area for 5K. We aren't fast, but we are getting faster all the time!

Can you do handicap races? I think those would be fun. Or races where you pick a finish time that is within reach of all and then whoever gets the closest to it wins. Or just the regular fastest rower wins is good too!

Shannon

efg
Paddler

online rowing

Post by efg » May 11th, 2006, 5:17 pm

I've been thinking of getting RowPro, because I know Wood Duck (Susan) likes it, but I'm really slow. My pace is usually over 2:30. When I try to go under 2:30, my kness start to bother me. It is frustrating, because I feel ready to try for a faster pace, but if I ignoe the warning signs my knees send out (especially the right one), I do end up regretting it. So, the whole thought of racing, on line or in real life, doesn't excite me. Do people use RowPro mainly for racing? Or do you find it makes rowing just on your own more interesting? When I started rowing and could only manage about 9k in an hour, it was fun seeing the pace times come down, but I feel like I've hit a wall I can't overcome.

Emilia

marilyn
Paddler

Post by marilyn » May 11th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Hi Shannon, Hi Emilia
I know that experience very often, The rowers are waiting for me and I need 1Km more. I hate it!

I think we women are so different because we are few rowers. I am rowing with a friend and she is rowing around 2:37-2:40. We row 5KM and I finish earlier but I have a lot of fun and I hope she too. When I row with Anne, she is so old as me and she has a PB of 2:03 by 10KM!!!
But I like to row with her because she is a very nice person too.

My problem is...I have the feeling that when I row alone with Anne she is slower than normal and when I row with my other friend I am sometimes slower than normal
I was thinking what to do? I don't want that Anne is getting slower because she is rowing with me.
For this problem I thought to develope a handicap system. On Supercanoa you can manipulate your pace. For example by handicaped races, you can click, please 10% faster. At the end you will receive your real result but for the graphic you look faster (only time based workouts)
This handicaped system is working but not completely tested. Concept2 is sending me a new PM3 Monitor soon, so I hope I am ready with my tests and I can invite you for a handicap race.

Anyway I think maybe we don't want to be faster, in my case I want to lose 4Kg, and it is more important than a PB. I think for us women is anyway more important that we can talk after the workout and laugh about ourselves or another thing.

For this reason, I was thinking maybe should win teh race somebody that does something that is for us more important that to be fast, any idea?

For the starttimes I will sacrifice so that we are many women online.
Emilia, for this race you don't need to buy nothing. You only need a "connector" that you can download from teh website

I am happy to help you to join the race, or you to help me. From woman to woman :)

To register:
www.supercanoa.com

Marilyn
Last edited by marilyn on May 11th, 2006, 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » May 11th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Emilia,

I would really encourage you to get online. It is so fun and motivating!! I often row with Susan and others online and our goals for the workouts really vary. Sometimes it is a race and sometimes it is just a little companionship and some calorie burning!

I think in this new season, I have only taken one day off from rowing and every single workout I have done has been done online! I have had two PB's and have cranked out quite a few enjoyable metres with people from all over the world.

I don't think that you should worry about going over a 2:30/500 pace. That is fine. Susan and I do most of our rows at around 2:30, so you would fit in just fine with us. Susan rows at some ridiculously early hour when I am still in bed :roll: with others, and often with me around 4:30pm Pacific/7:30 pm Eastern. We'd love to have some more company!

Shannon

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » May 11th, 2006, 8:05 pm

A 2:30 pace is very good. A friend of mine who is going on 70 and is 98 pounds usually rows for 10 minutes at a 4 to 5 minute pace. A few years ago she was rowing at a 3:30 pace. I hope you have all success with having women only races, and have a great many participants.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Wood_Duck
1k Poster

Post by Wood_Duck » May 11th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Lately, almost all the rows I set up are for a set amount of time. That way we all finish together.

I don't race with RowPro. Rather I participate in companionable rows. What does this mean? Well we often chat about a plan and don't row until we pass out. My goal is to keep my heart rate at 75% of maximum so that I can row longer and burn up more calories. For me it is like walking with a buddy. You are there to do it together not to see who wins. (although I am exhausted after, I am not ready to die or toss my cookies...)

I certainly have improved over time. The other benefit is that if we agree to target 2:35/500 meters, I keep it up for the row where as if I were by myself I might start to slow up or worse yet stop because there aren't others watching.

I also find it to be more interesting to row with another person even if we aren't together. In the morning rows at 5:45 AM Eastern, I just crawled out of bed... Most everyone is faster than me BUT since we row for a set time, we all finish together. For me and these ridiculously early rows, the point is to make sure I don't stand my friends up. Once I am out of bed with my shoes on and ready to row, I will go through with the work out even if others had something come up. At that point it is just having others rowing at the same early hour that works for me. I grumble all the way to the erg but after the workout I am so glad I did it.

Susan aka Wood Duck
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
1st row 11/23/04; 1 MM 3/20/06; 2 MM 6/9/07; 3 MM 5/15/08; 1st 2k: 1/28/07 (9:04.2); 1st MARATHON! 4/19/06 (4:42:42.9)

newby5
Paddler

How many women are we

Post by newby5 » May 11th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Marilyn I like your idea especially if you worked out a system where the slower beginner could participate .I think it always makes you better to compete with people better than yourself ,but I also know it is boring for the faster rowers.
Maybe you could divide the group according to skill level

fish
1k Poster

Post by fish » May 13th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Hi Marilyn,

I would be interested in doing some online rowing. I am doing a lot of cycling right now but in a few months I will be back on the erg full time. It would be nice to do some racing in whatever format.

I am planning a 70 mile/112 km ride on the 19th and I don't think my legs will be able to handle a 5K race on the 20th.

Keep us posted with your ideas.

Arlene

marilyn
Paddler

Post by marilyn » May 13th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Hi Arlene, Shannon, Emilia, newbie and Susan

When I started rowing my 1. average pace by 6KM was 2:47. Then in my second try was around 2:35. I was very happy with this pace.
Then when I saw the ranking and when I began rowing online I was impressed of the other paces of men or women. 1:42, 1:50, 1:59,
I got 2:20 doing that last 1500m after everybody was ready.
Maybe that feeling knowing that everybody was waiting for me gave the push
Then I was racing every weekend and after 6months maybe I was rowing
around 2:17 2:15. I started with a trainings plan. I had the hope that I could reach a fantastic. After the plan I go around 2:08-2:07 for 6KM. I was very happy.
I think racing brings you to give your best.
I am lightweight, now I am heavy and rowing around 2:12 maybe.I hope after getting racing I go to 2:09.It is my goal now.

About the other points:
-My delay to answer was because I was working on the handicap system. If you want we can do the race as handicap, I need only somebody with PM3 and to test with me tomorrow or after tomorrow.

-I will be explaining the supercanoa race system for women interested
You only need to register, I give you my mail and we can test together. There is a chat by supercanoa. I can test with you mondays, tuesdays, and thursdays between: 17:00GMT and 19:00GMT. If you cannot at that time, I can try next saturday but let me know when. I have some documentation, maybe you can try alone.

-If we row with the handicap system, I can decide it on wednesday and you only have to calculate your handicap. I will post a formula for the calculation.

Maybe should win who is closer than her PB, and who was the fastest. Two winners, would it be ok?

To register go to Members and there you can fill the registration.

Arlene, I think you can try anyway. We should take it easy. We try to give all and to race but if one nail get broken or if our boyfriend calls us, it will be a good reason to stop or get slower.

Marilyn
www.supercanoa.com

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » May 13th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Last edited by johnlvs2run on January 28th, 2007, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

SlugButt
Paddler

Post by SlugButt » May 13th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Hi all,

I hope it's okay for me to add a voice to the topic. Although I would certainly never claim to be one of the "really fast" people, just by virtue of height and weight (male heavyweight) I have an unearned advantage on the erg and sometimes finish ahead of lighter rowers. My perception is that rather than it being "boring" to watch another rower who is still pushing to finish a race that it is quite exciting. I'm always cheering for people as they finish if I happen to get done before them.

Anyway, I certainly lean towards the bias that what is exciting in rowing is not just raw splits, but each person's effort and learning. While it's always impressive to see the blindingly fast folks row, for my money the most exciting part of the sport is whenever anyone, regardless of raw speed, finds a way to take a step beyond what they thought they could do.

David

P.S. For anyone who hasn't joined a race that Marilyn organizes, you're missing the best reason in the world to have an erg and row online. I hope you try joining her!

marilyn
Paddler

Ladies Race

Post by marilyn » May 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Thanks Krysta for the Test today

The Server is not ready for a handicap Race. We will have to row 5KM
without Handicap. You tell me your PB before the race
and who breaks or is closer wins, and the other winner will be who is the fastest

I have problems with the Start Time. I have a tentative Start Time of
19:00 GMT but two female rowers that cannot start at that time

I think many small races will not be fun, better would be one(or two) races with 5-6 Rowers

I have only 4 rowers interested. Ladies, what happen with you? In the past was for me always a hard work to motivate female rowers to row online and it is a lot of fun.

On Thursday I will be online to introduce you to use the system.I think Krysta doesn't need it. She learned it very fast

Mail me over the forum or register on the page. I inform you on Thursday how many women we are

Marilyn

Wood_Duck
1k Poster

Post by Wood_Duck » May 16th, 2006, 1:28 pm

I'm in. Marilyn, I'll send you an email.
Susan
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
1st row 11/23/04; 1 MM 3/20/06; 2 MM 6/9/07; 3 MM 5/15/08; 1st 2k: 1/28/07 (9:04.2); 1st MARATHON! 4/19/06 (4:42:42.9)

marilyn
Paddler

The race in details

Post by marilyn » May 19th, 2006, 6:45 am

Hi Ladies

The Ladies' race in details:
Date: 20 May

I have now 6 rowers registered. Many thanks!:

Anne
Clair
Susan
Arlene
Berit
Marilyn

2 other girls (Krysta nad Kouki) are maybe joining us. We will have
two races one at 17:00GMT and at 19:00GMT

How I said the paces are very different from 1:58 until 2:40
I think every rower can find a partner theres.

If somebody is interested, please register. It is easy to connect
and I help you with a test to be confident if you have never rowed online.
From woman to woman....

See you tomorrow!

Marilyn
www.supercanoa.com