Starting out...

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Elamonta
1k Poster

Starting out...

Post by Elamonta » May 12th, 2006, 9:31 am

I was just wondering how everyone here came upon the wonderful world of rowing and how they trained initially to get to where they are today? I guess I could start it off....

I started freshman year at Stetson University...the majority of the mens team quit leaving one rower and a coxswain...therefore they were desperate for athletes and playing sports my entire life I decided to give it a try...started out at a 7:38.8 and now after one semester of rowing and some erg training (minimal) I am down to a 7:11.8.

Post your story!!!
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

eyespliced
500m Poster

Post by eyespliced » May 12th, 2006, 12:14 pm

I'm a Jr. in highschool (berkeley high!)
originaly I started rowing in 8th grade in a single. I loved it but I was being forced into it so i refused to continue (huge mistake btw!) i was in my aunts single (filippi I think... it was what she raced in) so then I stopped for almost 4 years and just last fall (of '05) i saw a poster advertising to join the school crew team. i went to a practice, had my ass beaten doing one body circut (35 crunches, 20 pushups, 25 jumpees, 15 scullers, 15 back extensions and 20 lunges.)
the next day we did some erging. (a 2k actually) and my time was 7:36.0. now my pr is 6:44.4.
also over the course of the season I have lost more than 30 lbs and still am dropping weight. and of course, starboards r0Xx0r! <----sorry :D (5 seat love!)

this is all in 8 months, novice!

as for the training, just a lot of practice and erging. :twisted:

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » May 12th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Never have rowed OTW. Have been a runner for 17 years and injured my back doing a standing long jump in a fitness competition at work. Was not able to run for 4 months so made a Model D my Christmas Present this last year. I really think that the Rower has helped my back by strengthening and I was able to do it pain free (unlike running). I recently started running again but I love the erg so much that I no longer run 6 days a week. Instead I row 4 days and run 2.
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]