Rowing on land?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
hwt_sculler
Paddler

Rowing on land?

Post by hwt_sculler » May 4th, 2006, 12:26 am

Just to give a little bit of background, I row for a junior team and this is my third year. Our team does most of our training on the water instead of on the erg. Recently we've been erging more because we just bought 10 "new" ergs (model c's).

The other day I got the bright idea that my double's partner and I should line our ergs up and erg like we were rowing the double instead of side by side. We’ve done that a few times now.

Is this a good way to train or is it more beneficial to erg side by side?
Junior Girl - 18 y/o, 5'11", 75 kg.
Best 2k - 7:39 (4/18).
Scull. Starboard. Port.

Alissa
2k Poster

Re: Rowing on land?

Post by Alissa » May 4th, 2006, 1:18 am

hwt_sculler wrote:Just to give a little bit of background, I row for a junior team and this is my third year. Our team does most of our training on the water instead of on the erg. Recently we've been erging more because we just bought 10 "new" ergs (model c's).

The other day I got the bright idea that my double's partner and I should line our ergs up and erg like we were rowing the double instead of side by side. We’ve done that a few times now.

I couldn't really say, but sounds like some slides might be in order...then you could actually be linked!

KB12
Paddler

Post by KB12 » May 4th, 2006, 1:31 pm

The problem that I have sometimes when simply erging behind someone (without slides) is that it can be hard to see what exactly they are doing with the flywheel and monitor in front of you. I personally like to watch the stroke's elbow when erging and it can be hard to see through the cage and all. For that reason I commonly find that erging side by side can work well, because you can see them better.

Check out the slides that Alissa pointed out. While they do cost a bit you can definetly feel your timing and such much better, making it much easier to be in time because you don't need as much visual conformation; you can feel the other person's mass moving against you if one of you is off. It's quite an odd experience at first and definetly the cause of my almost falling off the erg, when someone else moved and I was not expecting it.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » May 4th, 2006, 2:44 pm

hwt_sculler wrote:Just to give a little bit of background, I row for a junior team and this is my third year. Our team does most of our training on the water instead of on the erg. Recently we've been erging more because we just bought 10 "new" ergs (model c's).
Have you read "Assualt on Lake Casitas" by Brad Lewis? In that he tells about training with his sculls partner on ergs.

Bob S.

KB12
Paddler

Post by KB12 » May 4th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I forgot to mention: where I erg we have a huge mirror that we face, so you can see the people sitting next to you by looking forward with only a slight angle instead of having to turn your head 90 degrees. In general mirrors are very useful when erging...

almostflipped
1k Poster

Post by almostflipped » May 4th, 2006, 7:44 pm

In the absence of slides, yes lining up the ergs can be beneficial. It will allow you to get a better look at some of your partners mechanics and learn to follow/anticipate.

hwt_sculler
Paddler

Post by hwt_sculler » May 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Bob S. wrote:
Have you read "Assualt on Lake Casitas" by Brad Lewis? In that he tells about training with his sculls partner on ergs.

Bob S.
Ah yes Brad, I stole the idea from Brad. I just didn't want to confess that I have read and actually own a copy of "Assualt on Lake Casitas" because you'd have to be a pretty big rowing nerd to do that. But I guess we're all rowing/erging nerds.
Junior Girl - 18 y/o, 5'11", 75 kg.
Best 2k - 7:39 (4/18).
Scull. Starboard. Port.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » May 4th, 2006, 11:01 pm

hwt_sculler wrote:
Bob S. wrote: Have you read "Assualt on Lake Casitas" by Brad Lewis? In that he tells about training with his sculls partner on ergs.
Bob S.
Ah yes Brad, I stole the idea from Brad. I just didn't want to confess that I have read and actually own a copy of "Assualt on Lake Casitas" because you'd have to be a pretty big rowing nerd to do that. But I guess we're all rowing/erging nerds.
Have you tried his trick of just going through the motions of a race without actually pulling on the handle? That was a bit too far out for me, but I find it to be a fascinating concept. At least it seems to have worked for him.

Bob S.