Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » April 25th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Hey Kirk, I really like that Greg LeMond quote.
Thanks for thinking of me as someone to be chased. I figure I will be in the 2nd boat soon when Francois gets to row. That will be really good to see two full boats. Congrats to everyone filling the boats. I can tell you I won't be trying the 10K again this month. But I'm looking forward to the 5K - that distanceseems to be more my cup of tea - I don't need a water break for a 5K.
I'm wondering what other people on the team do about hydration when it gets to be a little longer. Camelback? I haven't used one yet. Or just pay the time penalty to have a little water?

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 25th, 2006, 10:49 pm

danwho wrote:Hey Kirk, I really like that Greg LeMond quote.
Thanks for thinking of me as someone to be chased. I figure I will be in the 2nd boat soon when Francois gets to row. That will be really good to see two full boats. Congrats to everyone filling the boats. I can tell you I won't be trying the 10K again this month. But I'm looking forward to the 5K - that distanceseems to be more my cup of tea - I don't need a water break for a 5K.
I'm wondering what other people on the team do about hydration when it gets to be a little longer. Camelback? I haven't used one yet. Or just pay the time penalty to have a little water?
Hi Dan,
I use a Camelback with about 3 ice cubes in it and whatever drink I'm using. I have the erg about two feet from the wall and have the camelback hanging on a hook about halfway down the sliding section of the erg. I've got log walls so it's pretty easy to screw in the hook. I only use it if I know that I'm going to be on the erg for more then an hour. If it's less, I just have a drink before and after the row. I find that I don't loose much water weight in the first hour unless I'm going really hard or it's really hot (at least not enough to slow me down.) With the camelback, I'm able to stick the hose in my mouth during the recovery part of the stroke and I keep it in there for a couple of strokes while I drink. That way it's not a big rush and breathing is easier. I've tried using cups and water bottles, but I hate seeing my pace go up every time I get a drink, (all that work down the tubes!)
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 26th, 2006, 12:51 am

Yukon John wrote:
danwho wrote:Hey Kirk, I really like that Greg LeMond quote.
Hi Dan,
I use a Camelback with about 3 ice cubes in it and whatever drink I'm using. I have the erg about two feet from the wall and have the camelback hanging on a hook about halfway down the sliding section of the erg. I've got log walls so it's pretty easy to screw in the hook. I only use it if I know that I'm going to be on the erg for more then an hour. If it's less, I just have a drink before and after the row. I find that I don't loose much water weight in the first hour unless I'm going really hard or it's really hot (at least not enough to slow me down.) With the camelback, I'm able to stick the hose in my mouth during the recovery part of the stroke and I keep it in there for a couple of strokes while I drink. That way it's not a big rush and breathing is easier. I've tried using cups and water bottles, but I hate seeing my pace go up every time I get a drink, (all that work down the tubes!)
Hi Dan,
I'm in agreement with John. IMO dehydration isn't going to be a problem in normal conditions under an hour. You may have a mental concern with a dry feeling in your mouth if it's very dry in your workout area. (Probably not a concern right now by your recent posts.)
Until your get past 90 min of pushing yourself I don't think food is an issue either. But after that, new story.
Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » April 26th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Okay, thanks for the advice.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 26th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Great rowin', hosers.

We went smokin' through Bagdad on April 24, hit 13,000,000 meters on April 25 and made it into Iran today, April 26.

This is a picture of the Gate of All Nations in Iran. Seems appropriate for our crew to go rowing through it.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 27th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Well, that river we crossed over today was the Karun River http://www.answers.com/topic/karun in Iran.

It is Iran's longest and must have seen a lot of history.
There is an ancient bridge at Shustar, built by captured Roman soldiers in the 3rd century.

I am planning to attempt another 10k this weekend to try and improve my time for the C2 CTC challenge. We only need one more rower for our second boat.
I did try to improve my 10k time last weekend but I was still suffering the ill effects of a Texas Hold 'Em game.

Keep on rowin', eh!

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 27th, 2006, 11:56 pm

It's hard to say no to a Macallan, Jim.

Had another go at CTC 10K. I'm quite pleased with :D 40:20.3. This is 29.5 sec. better than last my try. (1 more on Sunday?).

May be a good time to mention to the new Hosers that you can't slow a boat down by entering your time rowed for this month. The site software sorts everything to make a complete boat as fast as it can be. Boats with a crew of less than 5 don't count. So have a go.

Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.

ChrisH
500m Poster

Post by ChrisH » April 28th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Don't laugh, but are you sure my 10k at 2:18/500 can actually help? :o
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » April 28th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Chris, certainly it can help. The way the CTC works is that it adds people to boats (with at least 1 LightWeight and 1 Female per boat) until it gets 5. If there are more people, a new boat is started. The faster times will go into the first boat. Average times are listed for incomplete boats (less than the necessary 5 people) but they don't really count - an incomplete boat is "not in the water". So it is not possible to slow down a complete boat - if your time is slower, you will just go to the next boat. So any time you post can't possibly hinder a complete boat, and it can help an incomplete boat get into the water. I find this very motivating because while you can feel encouraged to do your best, you also see some satisfaction in every effort.

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » April 28th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Felt compelled to do a 10K today to make our boat go a little faster, even though I am not felling well and I didn't train much in the past three weeks due to several injuries. Getting old and falling apart!

Did 36:43.0, a PB I guess, since I have never raced that distance! (It hurts by the way) :roll:

Do I have to do anything special to have it count for the ctc challenge?

Cheers, and have a nice weekend!

Francois
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 28th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Francois wrote:Hi everyone,

Felt compelled to do a 10K today to make our boat go a little faster, even though I am not felling well and I didn't train much in the past three weeks due to several injuries. Getting old and falling apart!

Did 36:43.0, a PB I guess, since I have never raced that distance! (It hurts by the way) :roll:

Francois
Whooa, I had a feeling you'd go under 37.

If my memory works, and I work midnights so some times it doesn't, you just go to http://www.c2ctc.com/ and follow the instructions for adding a new person. You may have to create a user account on the UK forum. The default password for the CTC site is "c2ctc".

Cheers,
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » April 28th, 2006, 8:22 pm

RR1 Kirk wrote:If my memory works, and I work midnights so some times it doesn't, you just go to http://www.c2ctc.com/ and follow the instructions for adding a new person. You may have to create a user account on the UK forum. The default password for the CTC site is "c2ctc".
Thanks Kirk!
I followed your suggestion, and The Eh! Team's boat #1 has moved to the 17th position! :)
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 29th, 2006, 11:48 am

Francois wrote:Hi everyone,

Francois
Killer 10k there Francois!!! (Especially when you're not feeling 100%!) That aerobic base of yours (not to mention being really strong) sure pays off. It's just great now to see two boats in the water and all of the points we're getting because of that.
Chris, you're time for a 10k is very respectable and you should think about entering the CTC. Even if your time was 3:30/500, like Dan said, it's just as much (if not more) important to get participation then to have world class times. When I started rowing last June, my times were quite slow and I couldn't row very long without hurting myself. I've gotten a fair bit faster, but the best part is that I'm feeling a bit athletic again, lost some weight and have great people like you and the rest of the eh team to share accomplishments (and set backs) with. If we could get more people on the eh team to just row the distances of the CTC and enter their time (even if it was while they were going slow enough to watch Desparete Housewifes, and not miss any of the "action" :P , we would get more points for more boats and I bet those boats would pick up speed as the months go by!
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 29th, 2006, 1:34 pm

Excellent rowin', hosers. I see Dan cracked 40 minutes for the 10k on the CTC challenge. Well done!

And Francois, sub 37 on your first 10k when you are not feeling well? Super row.

I just like the fact that we have 2 full Eh!Team boats in the water.

I managed to knock 10 seconds off my 10k time, but it did not improve our standings any. It sure gave me a sense of satisfaction though.

Keep on rowin', eh?

Jim

(I anticipate some problems with our log as C2 switches over to the new year. Does anyone know how this happens? Does everyones log just start at 0 on Monday morning....? )
Jim

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » April 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm

I did it!!! :D
Just finished my first full marathon with 3:38:48. My goal was to finish, and I did - even though I had some cramps in my quads after about 25k, but fortunately they went away after a break and some stretching. I'm dead now, but I'm happy!!! :D :D :D I would never have thought that I would do a FM in April when I started out in February ...

It's nice to see 2 boats on the water for the CTC! Great times for the 10k, Francois and Jim! And I'm glad to see some more female support here, Linda - great rowing!

Happy rowing everyone!
Brigitte