Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 15th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Super row on the 10k, Shannon!

You gotta be happy with that. :P

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 15th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Shannon wrote:Hi Eh! Teamers!

I just wanted to let you know that I did my 10K for the CTC, so we just need one more person to row and we'll have a full boat. I am pretty happy because I got a 53.6 second PB over my previous PB which I just set last month. At that rate of improvement, I'll be beating Brian by sometime next year! :lol:

Shannon
Great effort Shannon, I'm still trying to catch Canada Goose, I think the Yukon Swan will be an even greater challenge.

We're in the water. PB by 30+ sec from a month ago. There's still more to give if I get the time. Cycling season is almost upon us so it's time to remember the pain zone. :wink:

John: I'm just planning for 90 min@24s/m. It's new territory for me so I'm playing the best guess scenario.

Francois: thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 15th, 2006, 9:42 pm

RR1 Kirk wrote:
Shannon wrote:Hi Eh! Teamers!

I just wanted to let you know that I did my 10K for the CTC, so we just need one more person to row and we'll have a full boat. I am pretty happy because I got a 53.6 second PB over my previous PB which I just set last month. At that rate of improvement, I'll be beating Brian by sometime next year! :lol:

Shannon
Great effort Shannon, I'm still trying to catch Canada Goose, I think the Yukon Swan will be an even greater challenge.

We're in the water. PB by 30+ sec from a month ago. There's still more to give if I get the time. Cycling season is almost upon us so it's time to remember the pain zone. :wink:

John: I'm just planning for 90 min@24s/m. It's new territory for me so I'm playing the best guess scenario.

Francois: thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers,
Great Job Kirk, Taking off that much time in one month is really good! You'll be busting 40 minutes in no time! It's good to see a full boat and we're placed pretty well compared to other teams. I think the longer distances suit us :) . Good luck in the 1/2. I'm hoping to do a marathon on Tuesday. I've got this week off of work and since we're buried in snow, I might as well go for a row.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Great rowin' hosers.

We have left Africa behind and we are now into the middle east. Israel is our first country.

I am at the start of the Trans Canada row, right here in downtown Victoria. I will go and take a picture of it and place it on the net!

Victoria has just become my favourite place for rowin' as a I did a new PB for the 2k today at the YMCA. I took 7 seconds off of my old time and i think i can drop a lot more yet. I attribute all of this to 2 minutes with a rowing coach at Brentwood. http://www.brentwood.bc.ca

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

Calgary Rob
Paddler

Post by Calgary Rob » April 16th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Great rows Shannon and Jim.

I'm not rowing particularly fast at the moment, but I've registered the 10K that I did today (41m18s) for the Eh!Team in the CTC challenge.

At least it fills the boat :D
Male - 43 yrs, Wt - 150 lbs

1K - 3:44.2, 2K - 7:15.7, 5K - 19:24.5,
6K - 23:47, 30 mins - 7530m, 10K - 39:53,
HM - 1:29:15

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 16th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Calgary Rob wrote:Great rows Shannon and Jim.

I'm not rowing particularly fast at the moment, but I've registered the 10K that I did today (41m18s) for the Eh!Team in the CTC challenge.

At least it fills the boat :D
I think you've put in an excellent effort and time Rob! It's a pb too, eh? Well done! and same with you Jim, that is a huge amount of time you've taken off. I'd like to get someone some day to look at my technique too. When I used to coach x-country skiing we did videotaping and it sure helped the skiers improve. I imagine Francois has done a lot of videoing with his swimming. I've done a bit of that with swimming and it helped a lot. I don't have a video camera these days, but I might see if I can borrow one at some point and try to figure out how to improve my technique. That's great that you got to do it in person Jim (with a coach!) Some day I wouldn't mind going to some kind of a camp (either on water or like Xeno's, at a gym.)

Looks like we've started filling a second boat at the CTC!

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » April 18th, 2006, 2:51 pm

12,000,000 meters!!

Great rowin', hosers.

We are now over halfway through Jordanhttp://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/jo.html.

This is a photo of the treasury at Petra.

Has anyone ever been there? I would love to go.

This leg to Baghdad is one of our shortest, so it is nice to see the progress. Every meter counts so keep posting your mileage to your C2 logbook.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 18th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Nice picture Jim! Is that building carved right out of the cliff?

I did the marathon for the marathon challenge today. I'm currently sitting on a pillow as that is the only way I can sit down :? ! It was pretty brutal but I'm happy with the results. I took over 6 minutes off of my time, (2:52:26.1) 2:02.5 pace.

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » April 18th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Great time for the marathon, John! 6 minutes off - wow!!! I guess you really deserve a good cold Canadian beer now. :lol:

Nice photo of Petra, Jim. I haven't been there either, but hope to go there some day too. The stoneworks are amazing!

I have been struggling with a cold these past weeks, and so it has been on and off rowing. But I hope it's over now and I can row more regularly. I even got a new PB yesterday for a half marathon (1:42:16.5). Probably pretty slow for all you guys, but it's rank 19 of 44 in my age/weight group, and I'm actually quite proud of it B) .

Now back on the boat to Bagdad ...

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 18th, 2006, 11:36 pm

BriK wrote:Great time for the marathon, John! 6 minutes off - wow!!! I guess you really deserve a good cold Canadian beer now. :lol:

Nice photo of Petra, Jim. I haven't been there either, but hope to go there some day too. The stoneworks are amazing!

I have been struggling with a cold these past weeks, and so it has been on and off rowing. But I hope it's over now and I can row more regularly. I even got a new PB yesterday for a half marathon (1:42:16.5). Probably pretty slow for all you guys, but it's rank 19 of 44 in my age/weight group, and I'm actually quite proud of it B) .

Now back on the boat to Bagdad ...
Brigitte, I think your time for a 1/2 marathon is very good, especially considering you've been sick! You're on pace to do a full marathon around 3:30 hours which is something most people would be very proud of. Good work! A good Canadian beer is a good idea, although I wouldn't mind a good German one either :D . John.

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 19th, 2006, 12:42 am

Welcome to rhe CTC boat Rob.

Jim, those folks over there really know how to design the front of a building! :shock:

Well done on the marathon John. At that rate of immprovement you'll be at Boston Marathon record time in 7 more tries. :wink:

P.S. I just noticed your HM Brigitte. I'm just hoping to attempt one. That's a long time to sit on the erg... and then there's the FM?!?!
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » April 19th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Here's one for you, John Image :lol: :lol: :lol: (hope you like "weissbier"...)
A full marathon still sounds scary to me. Maybe I'll try a 30k next and see if I'll be able to survive it. :? . Right now a half marathon is just about the length that I feel I can do. Maybe just try one too, Kirk? I did my first one very slow with plenty of breaks, so you can only get better next time :lol: .
I got a new PB for the 10K today, and entered the time in the CTC, so maybe we can fill another boat. I thought I could provide some company for Rob, but somehow the CTC has some odd way to mix up boats ... :?:

Happy Rowing everyone!
Brigitte

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » April 19th, 2006, 10:50 pm

BriK wrote:Here's one for you, John Image :lol: :lol: :lol: (hope you like "weissbier"...)
A full marathon still sounds scary to me. Maybe I'll try a 30k next and see if I'll be able to survive it. :? . Right now a half marathon is just about the length that I feel I can do. Maybe just try one too, Kirk? I did my first one very slow with plenty of breaks, so you can only get better next time :lol: .
I got a new PB for the 10K today, and entered the time in the CTC, so maybe we can fill another boat. I thought I could provide some company for Rob, but somehow the CTC has some odd way to mix up boats ... :?:

Happy Rowing everyone!
Brigitte
Great job on the 10k Brigitte!!! You knocked Shannon back to the second boat. I don't think she'll mind though. I think she'll like having someone she can compete with. Really good time there! I don't think Shannon will try to catch you this month though. I did my marathon yesterday, she did hers today and really cranked it out. She took 9:30 off of her time from when she did it before Christmas, with a time of 3:29. (and I can't remember the seconds) and she's second in her weight / age catagory! I'm really proud of her, marathons ARE really scary. In all of the running marathons and the 2 rowing marathons I've done, it always is just a little to long. Even if it was 6 or 7 k shorter it would make all of the difference in the world. But I guess that's what makes you feel happy once you've done one, because you know you've just finished one of the harder things a person can do to themselves. Time doesn't matter so much with the first marathon, just getting one done is a big accomplishment. Your idea of building up your distance is a good one Brigitte. Beyond building your endurance, it gives you the confidence that you can do it and you learn what works for you over the long haul (like what to eat and drink, if you need some kind of cushion on the seat and what kind, etc.) So, you guys should think about doing one sometime in the future, possibly before we finish getting around the world :o ?
I've never tried or even seen weissbier. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. Is it a popular beer in Germany? I'm teaching a class right now at our local college and one of the students is originally from Germany. One of their assignments is to teach the other students how to do something (teaching methods.) This student today taught us how to count to 10 in German and a couple of other phrases. It was pretty fun! He is planning on visiting some of his relatives there this summer and go to some of the soccer world cup games which he told me that Germany is hosting this year.
So, we've got 2 people in the second boat, talk to anyone you can who might want to jump in the boat before months end. We get more team points with a full second boat so times don't matter, participation is the key! John

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

Shannon
500m Poster

Post by Shannon » April 19th, 2006, 11:01 pm

BriK wrote:Here's one for you, John Image :lol: :lol: :lol: (hope you like "weissbier"...)

Happy Rowing everyone!
Brigitte
Brigitte,

Great job on the 10K! You just beat me by a few seconds! It might be fun to have a little female competition for first boat honours. I don't really feel up to another 10K PB attempt right this minute, since I just finished a marathon today, but I'll see if I can muster up any energy by month's end!

Shannon

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » April 19th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Happy Rowing everyone!
Brigitte
Brigitte, well done! It's good to see our team filling more than one boat.
I only quoted you from above because I like the look of all the beer photos. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John, Hoegarden (a Belgian "weissbier") is available on tap here in Ontario. I believe it gets it's name from the yeast being suspended in the brew. Perhaps your local ale importer will have another variety.

Shannon. What can I say. 9 minutes from your previous PB, Great Effort!

Cheers,
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.