Runners Thread

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » April 12th, 2006, 5:10 pm

Francois wrote:Hi Krysta,

I have the Forerunner 201. The major problem I have found is the loss of signal when running under tree shaded areas (which are nice during the hot summer!). It seems that the 305 (and 205) have higher sensitivity, but I remain skeptical. If I were to make such a purchase again, I would get the polar S625x since it doesn't depend on satellites but uses an accelerometer which is quite accurate once calibrated.

Whatever you buy, keep us informed on how you like it!

Cheers!

Francois
As mentioned, I've got a 205, but no experience with a 201. The postings I've seen elsewhere by people who do have experience with both suggest that it is significantly better than the 201, and I haven't had any problems with it losing signal on some tree-covered trails where I use it.

Does the Polar accelerometer system track elevation changes? The FAQ doesn't say anything about it. I notice also that they tell you not to go swimming with it, which might be a dealbreaker for the triathletes. The Garmin is claimed to be water resistant to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. As to whether that's enough to be useful, I'll defer to the swimmers in the crowd. Know any? :)

Bill

Alissa
2k Poster

Suunto T6

Post by Alissa » April 12th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Krysta, I'm not a runner, but you might like to look at the Suunto T6, with the foot POD. It will track heart rate, respirations, altitude, stride, laps, etc. and has some interesting looking training software included...

Alissa

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » April 12th, 2006, 6:16 pm

whp4 wrote:Does the Polar accelerometer system track elevation changes? The FAQ doesn't say anything about it. I notice also that they tell you not to go swimming with it, which might be a dealbreaker for the triathletes. The Garmin is claimed to be water resistant to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. As to whether that's enough to be useful, I'll defer to the swimmers in the crowd. Know any? :)
Bill
Yes, the Polar S625x tracks elevation. It can also be used on the bike to give speed and cadence. The watch is water resistant to 30 meters. I have the polar S210 which is water resistant to 50m and have used it in the pool and in open water swims, so I don't forsee any problem with the S625x.

The other drawback I've found with the Forerunner 201 is that even with good signals, the pace displayed fluctuates widely, which makes it hard to pace oneself for intervals workout.
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

runr/rowr
Paddler

Post by runr/rowr » April 12th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Krysta, Iam actually a runner first,and use rowing as cross training. i belong to a running club here in florida, and there are sevearal of us that run with the garmin 201, we all like it very much, there is however a few drawbacks,as mentioned in other posts. we have a half marathon course that we run every sunday which is a certified course, In the past several of us have run it and compared our garmins. we were within 500ft of each others gps. as mentioned in an earlier post, the pace is off somtimes, but over all distance is usually fine. I personally have used mine in the jacksonville marathon, three years in a row and it has came out with in a couple hundred ft. but that marathon is flat and with little tree shade, however i tried it in a 50k trail run, ( 31 miles) and it was very hilly and the course was over grown with trees. and the garmin registered it at 27 miles. there again this course was also certified. we have found that it is really accurate at shorter distances, like 5k and 10k races. i really dont think you will find a better gps for the money, and i believe the one with the heart rate is even a better model. as far as accuracy to get the absolute best. That would be the military. hope my post helps some.

Runr/Rowr

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » April 12th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Francois wrote:
whp4 wrote:Does the Polar accelerometer system track elevation changes? The FAQ doesn't say anything about it. I notice also that they tell you not to go swimming with it, which might be a dealbreaker for the triathletes. The Garmin is claimed to be water resistant to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. As to whether that's enough to be useful, I'll defer to the swimmers in the crowd. Know any? :)
Bill
Yes, the Polar S625x tracks elevation. It can also be used on the bike to give speed and cadence. The watch is water resistant to 30 meters. I have the polar S210 which is water resistant to 50m and have used it in the pool and in open water swims, so I don't forsee any problem with the S625x.
Ah, I see the question in the FAQ where they recommended not swimming was about the foot sensor, not the watch itself. My mistake!

It does look like a lot of thought has gone into this product. I guess the thing that would keep me going with a GPS solution is the utility for activities not specifically designed for by the Polar engineers. For example, Paul Smith's recent suggestion of using a Forerunner as a on-water coaching aid wouldn't fly with the Polar device, and anything where actually knowing where you are relative to your starting point is needed won't work either. Get lost running or hiking with the Polar device and it won't be much help getting you home!

Bill

Krysta Coleman
500m Poster

Post by Krysta Coleman » April 13th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I am going to take a quick look at the Polar model, partially because I already have a polar HR chest strap, but I think I will probably get the Forerunner 305 and take my chances on the GPS accuracy.

- Krysta
5'7", 35 years old, trying to regain fitness. Old PBs:

samroot
Paddler

Post by samroot » April 14th, 2006, 10:59 am

My wife and I,pursued very different 'March Madness' regimens this past month. For myself,up until last Saturday,I erged and ran every day the last six weeks. I did alternating days of 10k hilly road run with 6k rows.and 8k flat village runs with a 5k rows. On the 8k and 5k days I lifted weights. I've been lifting weights 3x a week since the beginning of the year,missing only one session. On Saturdays, I ran long,13,17,20,22,15 and 13 miles,along with a 5-7k row. My long runs were slow except for the last two that were uptempo. I bordered on the obsesive. A couple of weeks ago,two hours after having a molar ripped out of my mouth,I hopped on the erg for 6k,gauze clenched between my teeth,to complete my daily routine. When I was achy and tired I reminded myself at least I had that option,my wife did not.

My wife's 'March Madness' consisted of 3 rounds of Adriamycin and Cytoxen chemotherapy infused every two weeks. The Adriamycin she not so fondly referred to as her 'Jim Jones' experience. Two big bright red syringes of caustic koolaid,that must be infused manually because if there is leakage,it can burn your skin. Plus there is the issue of getting it in right or it will collapse your vein-which happened at least three times. Even with all the drugs they have to control the nausea it still made her feel very ill. Her most often used expression was "I just don't feel human." About 5 days out from the infusion she'd hit a low point that would break her mentally and emotionally,and she didn't want to go on. After a good verbal and emotional purge,she'd start coming around the next day. By the end of the first week,she'd push herself down stairs and hop on the erg for 5k. By the end of the next week she would have completed 7-8 rows,working up to 8-10k. She had what I call the anti blood doping effect with her plunging red blood cell count and hemoglobin level. Her 500m pace increased 10 seconds but her heartrate soared to over 170 and as high as 177. Her oncologist remarked that her hemoglobin level was one of the highest he's seen,so I guess there is a training effect even in chemotherapy.
Our black lab has been pressed into therapy service. He is her constant companion when I am at work. They do run/walks to complement the erging. Her once very thick hair has been reduced to a few wispy strands and she's taken to referring to herself as 'Sweetpea'-Popeye and Olive Oil's offsspring. She complains that her bald head is pointed. I told her no its a knowledge bump,a trait she shares with the dog. I told her the possessors of said trait are capable of ceasing my babblings in mid sentence and commanding my undivided attention with one withering glance. They're both capable of that.

Tomorrow I fly to Boston to meet my twin sister,flying in from Green Bay,to do her 10th and my 11th Boston Marathon. On the way to the airport I'll give Debbie one of three specially made club singlets,and tell her if you think you hear your name shouted about 10,000 times,Monday afternoon,you probably won't be dreaming-the boomings coming all the way from Boston. My sister Sarah and I will be wearing the other two in the race. Emblazoned across the back will be'Go Debbie Benton Beat Breast Cancer!'.

I'll be looking for the ergers at mile 16,a shout out and maybe stop for a second. My wife already has her heart set on doing the erg marathon next year. She'd be a perfect poster child for erging and survivorship. The weekend before she started her chemo she did a 30k erg in 2-1/2 hrs.
So she was well within range of doing an erg marathon under 3-1/2 hrs.
Her race has been only postponed,not cancelled.

She is halfway home in the chemotherapy. This morning I took her in for the start of 4 rounds of taxol,once of every two weeks. All I need to do is think of my wife and I'll float through the hills of Newton and hammer it home to Boston on Monday.

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » April 14th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Samroot,

Your wife sounds like a brave and courageous women! I will send good thoughts and prayers her way as she goes through this round of chemo. As a fellow Runner, I wish you and your sister the best of luck in Boston and may you "float through the hills of newton"

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » April 14th, 2006, 3:52 pm

What can I say. Respect to the both of you and hope Marathon Monday goes well.

Please keep us posted on progress

John
[url=http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=57]Read my diary[/url]
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Stretching before running

Post by Rockin Roland » April 16th, 2006, 12:28 am

For those of you that are interested see my post under "Health and Fitness" for recent research about pre-exercise stretching.

"The least flexible runners are also the most economical".
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

ancho
6k Poster

Re: Stretching before running

Post by ancho » April 18th, 2006, 11:20 am

Rockin Roland wrote:For those of you that are interested see my post under "Health and Fitness" for recent research about pre-exercise stretching.

"The least flexible runners are also the most economical".

Hehehee, that must referr to me :lol:

I have been to the Pyrinees over the easter holydays.
No erg, no hart rate monitoring, no stop watches, only my good ol' running shoes and plenty of nature (always uphill! :( ) at 1000-2500 m height
So since last thursday I have been running about 65 km (that about nearly doubles my year's total), expecting to meet Frodo Baggins or the black knights at any corner...
Image Image Image

Nice crosstraining for erging, as yesterday on my return, I rowed my half marathon PB! B)

Samroot: all the best for your wife and for you as well!
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » April 18th, 2006, 11:44 am

Sounds good Ancho and you have beaten my HM by exactly 2 seconds - not much over 92 minutes is it.
Nice photos

Samroot, hope yesterday went well, looking forward to a report
[url=http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=57]Read my diary[/url]
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

samroot
Paddler

Post by samroot » April 18th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Quick report-more extensive report to follow.

Self fulfilling prophecy:floated through the hills of Newton,stormed home from Boston College,and a final furious surge down Boylston to finish in 3:20:50. I think I would have gone under 3:20 but burned at least 30-60 seconds going off course at Wellesley Newton Hospital,and running into back parking lot looking for erg marathoners. Happened upon bewildered souls sitting under tent,determined ergers long gone and continued on my way.

Spent 3 sleepless hours back at Sheridan with radioactive legs and feet,before flying home to Buffalo. Back at work this afternoon weary,but basking in afterglow of exceding realistic expectations-well chuffed.

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » April 18th, 2006, 3:02 pm

samroot wrote:Quick report-more extensive report to follow.

Self fulfilling prophecy:floated through the hills of Newton,stormed home from Boston College,and a final furious surge down Boylston to finish in 3:20:50. I think I would have gone under 3:20 but burned at least 30-60 seconds going off course at Wellesley Newton Hospital,and running into back parking lot looking for erg marathoners. Happened upon bewildered souls sitting under tent,determined ergers long gone and continued on my way.

Spent 3 sleepless hours back at Sheridan with radioactive legs and feet,before flying home to Buffalo. Back at work this afternoon weary,but basking in afterglow of exceding realistic expectations-well chuffed.
Sam, you must have just missed us! We started at 10:00 AM and saw the wheelchairs and elite women go by, but were finished by the time the lead men came by. Paul Flack and I stood there for quite a while, with him specifically looking for Joachim (German erger who was staying at his house) who was shooting for 2:40. We never saw him and assumed that we had been out there a long, long time. Maybe our sense of time and space had altered because of erging too long??? Were you in the second wave by any chance? I pulled out of the parking lot at about 2:10 PM

Hopefully enough money was raised for Breast Cancer Research that the event will be held again next year.

Rick

samroot
Paddler

Post by samroot » April 18th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Rick

The more likely explanation was I was in the second wave,and didn't go off until 1230. I was going scary fast-16 miles under 2 hours. But still that would have put me at the hospital at over 1430-probably long after you were done. I thought there was a slim chance someone was still around.

I called the store on the slight to nil chance you were open Sunday. My sister and I ended up taking the T out to the hospital on Sunday to know what to look for. Did you set up in the parking lot facing the road behind the shrubs?