What Training Have You Done Today???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » March 13th, 2005, 3:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-neilb+Mar 13 2005, 09:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(neilb @ Mar 13 2005, 09:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Mar 13 2005, 07:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Mar 13 2005, 07:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today PB on the: <br /><br />1)   2000 m from 7:25.4 down to 7:18.0<br /><br />2)   5000 m from 18:40.3 to 18:19.4<br /><br />A good day!  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Good results and a good effort the other day with the marathon. <br /><br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thanks Neil,<br /><br />I feld strong today. It was rather easy to make the new times (nice suprise). But when I see your times I have to pull a bit harder. No marathon time?<br /><br />Hennie

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » March 13th, 2005, 4:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gw1+Mar 13 2005, 01:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gw1 @ Mar 13 2005, 01:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A fartlek is not a race. What you want to do with the rowing overall in a fartlek is just stay comfortable so that you can continue rowing. </td></tr></table><br /><br />In 27 years of doing Fartleks in the boat and on the erg, i can't remember a single "training" fartlek session that was "comfortable" they were all hard. Our aim with fartlek effort pieces is to get the boat running at full speed, then maintain as good as possible form during the recovery pieces. With every effort piece being followed by the same number of strokes in the recovery phase.<br /><br />GW <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Gary--<br /><br />Sure, improvement is improvement; and improving the recovery phase in a fartlek row would certainly improve the row as a whole, especially on the water, where technique is more crucial. With my recent work on technique, I am sure my fartleks will evolve in that direction, when I start doing unrestricted rate fartleks again. <br /><br />At the same time, I don't think that regulating what is done in the recovery phase of a fartlek is at all crucial on the erg, at least to the physical benefit, especially if you are doing fartleks to half marathon and marathon length, as I do on the erg. <br /><br />I ran 10-15 mile fartlek runs, at least once a week, for 25 years, when I was a marathon runner. I am not a newbie to the joys of fartleks!<br /><br />How far (and fast) were your fartlek rows on the water? The speed and length of the intervals and total distance covered in a fartlek makes a difference, I think.<br /><br />By comfortable, I mean that, when rowing fartleks, I do not row over my anaerobic threshold (172 bpm). As I do fartleks, this is whole purpose of the exercise. By alternating work and rest, you get in a whole lot of rowing at fast paces and high stroke rates (or strong stroking and low stroke rates) at (or near) your anaerobic threshold, much more than you could get in if you just rowed contiinuously without taking breaks.<br /><br />Sure, fartleks are "hard" (in various ways). But because I am not rowing over my anaerobic threshold during fartleks, I don't find them "uncomfortable," like distance trials, short and long intervals (Level 1 and Level 2 rowing), and so forth, where you _have_ to be over your anaerobic threshold for pretty long periods (or at least frequently) in order to do the sessions well.<br /><br />If you were over your anaerobic threshold for most of your fartlek rowing, I wouldn't call it a fartlek, because you could only maintain it for 5-10K or so. I would call such rowing short intervals. <br /><br />The 10K Level 4 row I did today (20-22 spm) was comfortably under my anaerobic threshold, too. <br /><br />Craig Virgin, the US Olympian and accomplished cross country and 10K runner back in the 70s who attended the University of Illinois when I was student there liked to do long, 20-mile fartleks runs with 800m "surges." Nice! I liked to do my running fartleks by counting steps during the surges, starting from 25 or so and adding one step with each new surge, working up to whatever I got to after 10-15 miles. I didn't regulate how fast I ran in the recovery periods. I just ran the same number of steps as the preceding surge.<br /><br />ranger

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » March 13th, 2005, 10:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How far (and fast) were your fartlek rows on the water? The speed and length of the intervals and total distance covered in a fartlek makes a difference, I think. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ranger,<br /><br />After a good warmup and drills we would start the season at 10 on 10 off, 20 on 20 off, etc up until 50 on and off, then back down to 10's. The max effort and rest pieces would build up to 80-90 each way by the begining of the week before the Nationals or Worlds.<br /><br />Cheers<br />GW

[old] chickenlegs

Training

Post by [old] chickenlegs » March 14th, 2005, 1:07 am

1500 m x 4: 1:40.0 (27), 1:40.0 (27), 1:40.0 (28), 1:39.9 (28).<br />3' off in between.<br />now if i could only put them all together for 6000 m....

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » March 14th, 2005, 5:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-gw1+Mar 13 2005, 09:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gw1 @ Mar 13 2005, 09:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How far (and fast) were your fartlek rows on the water? The speed and length of the intervals and total distance covered in a fartlek makes a difference, I think. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ranger,<br /><br />After a good warmup and drills we would start the season at 10 on 10 off, 20 on 20 off, etc up until 50 on and off, then back down to 10's. The max effort and rest pieces would build up to 80-90 each way by the begining of the week before the Nationals or Worlds.<br /><br />Cheers<br />GW <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Gary--<br /><br />Nice. As I mentioned in my post above, I have always liked this expanding/contracting/variable format for fartleks, too. <br /><br />Yes, max effort fartleks would be very hard, not "comfortable" at all. I have never done the fast segments in a fartlek at max effort. With that practice, fartleks indeed become short intervals (with active rest and with the intervals being of expanding/contracting/variable length).<br /><br />ranger

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » March 14th, 2005, 4:00 pm

4x(5:30 @ 1:46, 3:30 @ 2:05) <br /><br />Should be moving on to 6/3 soon, I started out in february, after some serious degeneration, at 3 x 5/4. <br /><br />When doing these kind of intervals now I get a strange feeling of not needing to breathe and I don't feel any burn from lactic acid like when I started this season, still I need to focus hard to keep the pace up at the end. What is that?<br /><br />Afterwards I did some bench. Last set was 5@85kg which was a long time since I could do. I'm gaining strength, but no mass says the scales. I like to think I get a little more "in shape", though.

[old] snappyrower

Training

Post by [old] snappyrower » March 14th, 2005, 10:23 pm

Did my longest row yet, both time and meters. <br /><br />1:00:11 <br /><br />10720 meters. <br /><br />am tired, but good. Intended to just row a slow 30 minutes while watching Nanny 911 (its so easy to get sucked into it), but didn't realize that its not a 30 minute show. My first intention was to do the easy 30 minutes and if i was so lazy i didn't hit 5k i'd stay on long enough to round it out, then i kept saying i'd just do a little more, a little more, and then i was so close to the end of the show and had gotten very close to my longest lenght in a day (8k, but in two workouts, morning and evening) that i thought i'd better at least beat that. Well, by the end of the show I was almost at 9k, and thought i'd better round it off! Was on the Just Row function, and I did pause (less than a minute) a few times, but for a novice who had only rowed a 6 k as longest workout previously, i think not too shabby! <br /><br />Think I'll skip the weight workout I had planned for tonight (ya know, I was gonna do it after my easy 30 minutes?) and go find something to eat. Think that my muscles might need some protein after this!

[old] Douglas256

Training

Post by [old] Douglas256 » March 15th, 2005, 12:35 am

Finished my first million meters today! Just started rowing in December and am up to rowing six half-marathons (HM) a week. Mind you, my pace has slowed to mostly 100 W days with a couple 125 W days mixed in to keep it interesting (I did an easy 155 W HM last month). But, I'm purposly keeping it slow to ward off injury until my body gets used to the higher milage.

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » March 15th, 2005, 3:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Douglas256+Mar 15 2005, 07:35 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Douglas256 @ Mar 15 2005, 07:35 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finished my first million meters today!  Just started rowing in December and am up to rowing six half-marathons (HM) a week.  Mind you, my pace has slowed to mostly 100 W days with a couple 125 W days mixed in to keep it interesting (I did an easy 155 W HM last month).  But, I'm purposly keeping it slow to ward off injury until my body gets used to the higher milage. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Douglas,<br /><br />Good job! You row a lot. I try to row between 200 and 300 k. every month.<br /><br />Keep on rowing.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » March 15th, 2005, 3:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-snappyrower+Mar 15 2005, 05:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(snappyrower @ Mar 15 2005, 05:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did my longest row yet, both time and meters. <br /><br />1:00:11 <br /><br />10720 meters. <br /><br />am tired, but good. Intended to just row a slow 30 minutes while watching Nanny 911 (its so easy to get sucked into it), but didn't realize that its not a 30 minute show. <br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hai Snappyrower,<br /><br />Not bad at all; to begin with a 30 m. workout and ending more than 1 hour on the machine. Now you know what it is to row for 1 hour you can repeat it and practice for a half marathon.<br /><br />Keep on rowing! <br /><br />Hennie

[old] neilb

Training

Post by [old] neilb » March 15th, 2005, 3:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-snappyrower+Mar 14 2005, 09:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(snappyrower @ Mar 14 2005, 09:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->then i kept saying i'd just do a little more, a little more, and then i was so close to the end of the show and had gotten very close to my longest lenght in a day (8k, but in two workouts, morning and evening) that i thought i'd better at least beat that. Well, by the end of the show I was almost at 9k, and thought i'd better round it off! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Snappyrower,<br /><br />Great effort. Counts as a PB just the same as anything else. I have found that the "just a little bit more" and "I may as well round this up" can be a very good way to add that extra distance.<br /><br />I think that 60 min is a very good session for fitness, technique and menatl toughness. It also builds a strong base.<br /><br />So, you now know that to row this distance/time is not as bad as you thought (requires some exertion but well within your capability.)<br /><br />Options now are to try and add more time or to use the 60 min as a benchmark and increase the distance covered. You said it was a slow/easy row and you will have a good idea of the split time to aim for over 60 min. It should be possible to extend a good steady 30 min pace (i.e. one that is not too stressful but more than just a gentle row) <br /><br />I suspect that if you start with this in mind you will finish strongly and probably beable to increase the pace a little towards the end. This will then give you a 60 min benchmark that you can use to pace further training.<br /><br />Well done <br /><br />Neil

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » March 15th, 2005, 4:00 am

Snappyrower,<br /><br />I only rowed for an hour straight 1 time the first 8 years of having the rowing machine.<br /><br />Good for you!

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » March 15th, 2005, 7:38 am

Yesterday I tried to row 1/2 marathon but was to tired and had to stop at 16406 m. (1:05:01.0).<br /><br />Today I rowed the 60 min. and had a PB with 15581 m. (the last PB was 15237).<br /><br />It was a good training.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] snappyrower

Training

Post by [old] snappyrower » March 15th, 2005, 10:47 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I think my next long row will be a 60 minute timed piece so that I can use it as a benchmark. Wish I'd known that I'd be doing it last night so that I could have done a timed piece not a "Just Row", but I'm glad I did it anyway. Think today will be something a little easier...my muscles are pretty tired. They don't really hurt too much, so I know that I had more in them for a harder go, but they are pretty darn tired. Will need at least one shorter row before I try to do a benchmark peice...may try the 60 minute after my next rest day! <br /><br />I think I also need to start working on nutrition a little more. I eat pretty healthy, and take my multis, but I don't think I always get enough protein. Will have to start experimenting.

[old] Steve_R

Training

Post by [old] Steve_R » March 15th, 2005, 2:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-neilb+Mar 15 2005, 02:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(neilb @ Mar 15 2005, 02:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think that 60 min is a very good session for fitness, technique and menatl toughness.  It also builds a strong base. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Good job snappy!<br /><br />Neilb, I agree and I am using this as my basis for my improvements this year.<br /><br />I recently got my VO2max tested on a cycling erg and am using the preliminary results to do my 60min training. Keeping under approx 2mmol lactate allows me to do 60 min with no pain. A little dehydrated and hungry but I find it to be a very enjoyable workout. Also gives me a great pace to think more about my stroke.<br /><br />I will be going back to test VO2max and lactate levels through a graduated test on the erg soon. I have a rough estimation based on the cycling erg where my threshold is but this will give me a better watt rating to do my training at.<br /><br />My goal is to build this low lactate pace to max before doing more short distance work.<br /><br />Steve