What Training Have You Done Today???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 31st, 2005, 9:43 am

Easing back in to training again.<br />5x1500m with 1:00 rest av of 1:46.4<br />few other small pieces.<br />5000m cool down.<br /><br />Total of 15000m<br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] CAROLE MAC

Training

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » January 31st, 2005, 9:51 am

oops double post ...nice to see you all anyway ....lol.....

[old] CAROLE MAC

Training

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » January 31st, 2005, 9:52 am

tried to mix the session up a bit today .... <br />1k w u <br /><br />30mins at 2.30 22spm <br /><br />then 10 x 1 mins all under 2.05 with 2 mins rest last three were all under 2.00 <br /><br />2.04 32spm <br />2.03.4 32spm <br />2.02 33spm <br />2.01.9 33spm <br />2.01 34spm <br />2.01 34spm <br />2.00.9 34spm <br />1.59.4 35spm <br />1.59.2 35spm <br />1.58.8 36spm ........................phew .....left buttock is aching though <br /><br />2k cool down <br /> <br />one week till pinky comes off ................ yehaaa ...................

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 31st, 2005, 10:29 am

Bit of a rest today, felt a little sluggish in warm up. <br /><br />An hour of skipping and an easy 10K, UT2.<br /><br />Back to some hard work tomorrow.<br /><br />ranger

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 31st, 2005, 11:51 am

Yesterday: Recovery row: 10k at 2:10 and 22spm. Felt great. HR about 147 for the last 5k. ( a bit under 70% HRR). I had this rare and elusive feeling where I really felt it was no effort to row. <br /><br />Time is freeing up again and so I'm ending the "all intensity" experiment and adding back in the recovery rows. These modest rows are very welcome. In retrospect, I really got more out of these past 9 weeks than I expected. I got back to nearly where I was in the summer (when I was rowing almost an hour a day) on just an hour a week (120,000 meters in total). But there are some things missing. My resting HR is nothing special. About 50 where I usually see 43. Things were getting a little unstable here lately, too. Good rows and then bad rows even though I had rested. I sort of expected that is how this would unwind. I was also missing a little on the mental edge. You can only yell "Charge!!" for so long before it gets sort of ineffective.

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » January 31st, 2005, 1:11 pm

Did a sweat down this afternoon, as a practice just in case at Boston.<br /><br />dressed in fleece and Anorak with sweat pants, did 2 x 5k's at 2.04 and 2.02.<br /><br />lost 4.2 lbs, I just hope I don't have to do this an hour before the race <br /><br />I now weigh 76.8 at home and 74.8 at the gym. so when my scales at home read under 75 kilos I'll be celebrating.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 31st, 2005, 3:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rocket Roy+Jan 31 2005, 12:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rocket Roy @ Jan 31 2005, 12:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did a sweat down this afternoon, as a practice just in case at Boston.<br /><br />dressed in fleece and Anorak with sweat pants, did 2 x 5k's at 2.04 and 2.02.<br /><br />lost 4.2 lbs, I just hope I don't have to do this an hour before the race <br /><br />I now weigh 76.8 at home and 74.8  at the gym. so when my scales at home read under 75 kilos I'll be celebrating. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Roy--<br /><br />Nice! It's always good to have insurance. Given 4 lbs. as leeway, lightweight is a lock.<br /><br />Yes, it is better to just be at weight and have no need for a sweat down, but...<br /><br />ranger

[old] dadams

Training

Post by [old] dadams » January 31st, 2005, 3:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jan 31 2005, 09:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Jan 31 2005, 09:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />An hour of skipping and an easy 10K, UT2.<br /><br />ranger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Don't know how you do all the skipping. I've added a mear 5 min to my warm-up, and my calves go crazy. Can't imagine doing it for an hour. Good on ya man!<br /><br />Dwayne

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 31st, 2005, 3:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Jan 31 2005, 02:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Jan 31 2005, 02:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jan 31 2005, 09:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Jan 31 2005, 09:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />An hour of skipping and an easy 10K, UT2.<br /><br />ranger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Don't know how you do all the skipping. I've added a mear 5 min to my warm-up, and my calves go crazy. Can't imagine doing it for an hour. Good on ya man!<br /><br />Dwayne <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I've always wondered what justification there is for an hour of skipping as a warm up. That has got to take something out of you. An hour is an hour! I wonder if Ranger has ever experimented with different skipping times. I guess my question is - when does 'warming up' cross over into actual work? <br /><br />I tend to think he might be even faster if he ,say, only warmed up for 20-30 minutes instead of an hour... but what do I know? It's only a theory - and I guess Ranger's results speak for themselves.... <br /><br />Maybe I'll just leave the question open for Ranger himself... so.. why do you skip for an hour - or do an hour of crunches ? I don't see the logic of doing crunches for an hour.. no one (that I know) benches or does curls for an hour, why are the abs different from any other muscle? What benefits other than iron abs are you getting out of it? <br /><br />peace, <br />D

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » January 31st, 2005, 6:00 pm

Exceptionally hot and humid this morning played havoc with my HR - settled on a warmup then a 30min piece then a cooldown. Average pace was 1:50 but was amazed how quickly HR rose and stayed high, breathing was steady but was sitting in a puddle by the end.<br /><br />I play it cautious in these situations as it can screw up a whole week if you get 'macho' and push to hard.<br /><br />George

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » January 31st, 2005, 6:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Feb 1 2005, 03:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Feb 1 2005, 03:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bit of a rest today, felt a little sluggish in warm up. <br /><br />An hour of skipping and an easy 10K, UT2.<br /><br />Back to some hard work tomorrow.<br /><br />ranger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Ranger, how did the race go over the weekend?<br /><br />regds George<br />

[old] Roland Baltutis

Training

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » January 31st, 2005, 11:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Jan 31 2005, 05:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GeorgeD @ Jan 31 2005, 05:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Exceptionally hot and humid this morning played havoc with my HR - settled on a warmup then a 30min piece then a cooldown.  Average pace was 1:50 but was amazed how quickly HR rose and stayed high, breathing was steady but was sitting in a puddle by the end.<br /><br />I play it cautious in these situations as it can screw up a whole week if you get 'macho' and push to hard.<br /><br />George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />DITTO George.<br /><br />The last week in Melbourne, Australia has been extremely hot and humid. Some days around 35-37 degrees C (close to 100 F) and over 70% humidity. ABSOLUTE MADNESS TO ERG IN THOSE CONDITIONS (Even if you were just plodding).<br /><br />Hence I have abandoned the ERG and retreated to the water with my scull. Each day for the past week I have cycled down to the rowing club (1.5 hours round trip). Then I have rowed on the water for 1.5 hours (approx 19 Ks). <br /><br />2000m warm up<br />3 X 2000m at race pace.<br />3 X 2000m rowing firm (low rating hard pressure concentrating on getting puddles 1.5 metres or further past stern of boat).<br /><br />Then about 5000m of technique work, with quick sharp whippy catches, then slowing right down in the recovery going up the slides, concentrating on arms and body position to get perfect balance. No running of oars on the water (Ergers have got it easy not to worry about balance).<br /><br />Near the end of each workout I've had to stop to wipe the sweat and sunscreen lotion out of my eyes due to the extreme pain and being blinded by it.<br /><br />Feeling ready for my first race this season in the boat against blokes 20 years younger than me. A good test of how much I've aged since I was in my 20s.<br /><br /><i>Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis</i><br /><br />

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » January 31st, 2005, 11:45 pm

Hi Roland,<br /><br />our temps would not be that high (mid to late 20's in the gym at 5:30am today) but humidity in the 90's I am guessing - and by the end I was erging on water.<br /><br />Can you tell us a bit more about 3 x 2000 race pace session, and for me who has no idea how does your on the water time compare to your erg time.<br /><br />regds George

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » February 1st, 2005, 12:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Jan 31 2005, 07:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GeorgeD @ Jan 31 2005, 07:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Roland,<br /><br /><br />Can you tell us a bit more about 3 x 2000 race pace session...<br /><br />regds George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I, too, would like to know how you manage three 2Ks at race pace. Even with a fairly substanstial rest, I would not think it possible to hold race pace through three 2K intervals.

[old] Roland Baltutis

Training

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » February 1st, 2005, 6:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Jan 31 2005, 11:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Coach Gus @ Jan 31 2005, 11:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeD+Jan 31 2005, 07:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GeorgeD @ Jan 31 2005, 07:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Roland,<br /><br /><br />Can you tell us a bit more about 3 x 2000 race pace session...<br /><br />regds George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I, too, would like to know how you manage three 2Ks at race pace. Even with a fairly substanstial rest, I would not think it possible to hold race pace through three 2K intervals. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />My 3 X 2000m race pace on water in the scull are all done downstream on the river with the current. That might help things a little bit because I don't think I could do the same on the erg. However the current is not all that strong. My only rest is in turning the boat around before going back upstream at firm pressure but low rating pace. By my 3rd 2000m race pace downstream piece the fatigue really catches up with me and my form comes and goes throughout the piece. But I still manage to finish off the last 300m rating well into the 30s and still with good boat run over the water.<br /><br />My well developed endurance base of doing these types of workouts on the water, for 12 mths of the year, for the past 20 years, no doubt is the key. Unlike other blokes at my age, over those 20 years I have never had an extended break from rowing, even during winter when I still find time to do many days of 50 km per session cross country skiing.<br /><br />All that work means that I can manage 6:14s/6:15s on the erg with relatively little training on the erg. My longest week ever on the erg was about 30 km (excluding warm up/cool down). I obviously do a lot more km on the water which doesn't seem to hurt my indoor rowing form. My on water times are about a couple of minutes slower but you have to remember that the erg was designed to go at quad scull speed, which would kill a single scull on the water.<br /><br />Place the oars at the catch, lock onto the water and drive away with the legs and body. Then listen to the bubbles under the boat as it skims over the water. That's the feeling that's kept me interested for so many years.<br /><br /><i>Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis</i><br /><br />