What Training Have You Done Today???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] phowd

Training

Post by [old] phowd » January 28th, 2005, 7:06 pm

Today - 15k, first 9k at UT2, 22 SPM, 2:02.8, HR=157, last 6k UT1, 24 SPM, 1:58.1, HR=172. Keyed row to heart rate limits, paces were both about 2 sec below those for my pb 2k (7:11, level 3, interactive guide). 10 min warmdown paddle to allow time for everyone to get safely home through the stargate... SCI-FI channel seemed to be on the TV.<br /><br />Peter

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 28th, 2005, 7:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Jan 28 2005, 12:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Coach Gus @ Jan 28 2005, 12:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How many years and how many million of meters of rowing does it take for the new stroke to become your stroke? </td></tr></table><br />Not very long, if the new stroke is the right stroke. <br /><br />A very long time, when it's not.<br />

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » January 28th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Today I trained within some time limits I have set myself:<br /><br />Warmup: 3k<br /><br />Session: 10k @ 1:53 (yesterday was 1:55) / 24spm and Ave HR 145 (jst under 80%)<br /><br />Cooldown 3k<br /><br />Total 16k<br /><br />Goal is to see how low I can get my 10k by the end of Feb, looking to reduce the split a bit at a time. Could go sub 1:50 now but that is not my intention as I want to just do it a bit at a time and observe if there is any training effect,(my old PB is somewhere around 1:47 pace). In between days will just be realxed steady rows of 15 - 16k, so all within about 60 - 70 minutes.<br /><br />George

[old] Bill

Training

Post by [old] Bill » January 29th, 2005, 1:05 am

Hello,<br /><br />8k @ 2:05 s10ps<br /><br />avg pulse 141 max pulse 150<br /><br />5 weeks back after 2months off and starting to get close to previous efforts.<br /><br /><br />Bill

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 29th, 2005, 4:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rocket Roy+Jan 28 2005, 02:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rocket Roy @ Jan 28 2005, 02:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ranger,<br />            You say you are not ready to race with your new stroke.<br /><br /> Does this mean you'll be using your old stroke at Boston? Your new stroke as best you can? Or a hybrid between them? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Roy--<br /><br />I will be racing with my new stroke at low drag--wherever. I no longer row at high drag.<br /><br />I don't think I am fully ready to race with my new stroke, but (unlike my situation at BIRC) I can now certainly get through a 2K with it. <br /><br />How well remains to be seen.<br /><br />ranger

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 29th, 2005, 4:50 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I do agree with you on one thing tho Ranger, if one can put in 20 - 40k erging a day over 18+ months not to mention all the other aerobic work you do (I think the total is probably around 4-5 hours a day you said), and still not be in a position of being ready to race - then I certainly dont have what it takes..... that probably sums up most of us here I would think.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />But you are not at all in my position George. If you were rowing a couple of seconds off the 40s hwt world record (5:47) a year or so ago but wanted to see whether you could get quite a bit better yet, even though you are aging, you would be in my position. <br /><br />You are about 45 seconds from that position. <br /><br />No, it doesn't take a whole lot to get ready to race. How long it takes depends on how you want to perform. <br /><br />In order to row his 40s lwt WR of 6:18 at 40 (when he was rowing 6:26 at 35), Caviston did two sessions of day for five years and indeed slowly brought his time down to world record level. As I have mentioned, though, it would be even more difficult, surely, for him, now, at 44 to lower that 6:18 to 6:13. But this is the sort of thing I have in mind.<br /><br />BTW, it would also take quite a bit of preparation if you want to row 6:05 (or whatever) when you are 50. The strength, fitness, and technical requirements needed to do this, I think, are clear. UT2 rowing presupposes them: 1:46 @ 22 spm for 90 minutes or so with a 70% MHR. You have to be pretty darn strong, aerobic, and technically efficient to get that done, but perhaps you can figure out how to do it on a few minutes a day (rather than several hours). If you can do the UT2 rowing, I think the rest can follow with a pretty normal regimen. <br /><br />ranger

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » January 29th, 2005, 5:46 am

got up, 175 lbs, did 20k at an easy 2.05.5 split , 171 lbs, should be down to 168 after this afternoons session, then approaching 165 tomorrow.<br /><br />I now eat 5 small meals a day, my first today will be a black coffee and a Krispy- Kreme do-nut with jam in the middle,........yummy!<br /><br />Yesterday the total cals for the 5 meals was 985.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 29th, 2005, 5:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->BTW, it would also take quite a bit of preparation if you want to row 6:05 (or whatever) when you are 50. The strength, fitness, and technical requirements needed to do this, I think, are clear. UT2 rowing presupposes them: 1:46 @ 22 spm for 90 minutes or so with a 70% MHR </td></tr></table><br /><br />For most of us (me too), meeting these standards of fitness and efficiency amounts to holding the pace while transforming distance efforts (an hour, HM, etc.) from pb rows at an unrestricted rate to 70% MHR UT2 rows at 22 spm. <br /><br />This is quite a trick. <br /><br />To do this, you need to add about 2-4 SPI to your normal, relaxed, effortless stroke. I suppose there might be many ways to do this, but I have been reporting what I have been doing to try to get there, and I think I am indeed almost there.<br /><br />At BIRC in 2003, I could only row 5K at 1:48 and 22 spm--max, full effort. Then I had to stop. I didn't monitor my heart, but my guess is that it must have shot up over my anaerobic threshold (172 bpm) at that point. I didn't have much endurance with a powerful stroke (13 SPI, etc.). I rowed most of my distances at low power (8-9 SPI).<br /><br />Like you, my 10K pb at the time was also around 1:47 pace (at an unrestricted rate) and my hour row pb was at 1:48 (@ 32 spm), rowed right at my anaerobic threshold (172 bpm).<br /><br />ranger

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 29th, 2005, 6:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jan 28 2005, 06:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jan 28 2005, 06:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Jan 28 2005, 12:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Coach Gus @ Jan 28 2005, 12:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How many years and how many million of meters of rowing does it take for the new stroke to become your stroke? </td></tr></table><br />Not very long, if the new stroke is the right stroke. <br /><br />A very long time, when it's not. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> <br /><br />The Voice of Experience...<br /><br />ranger

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 29th, 2005, 10:18 am

14 pull ups yesterday just before I got into my car for work. <br /><br />In the afternoon: 5K at 1:55. (19:10) SR 27-29. HR peak 185. That was a little slower than last week (18:56), but felt a lot better. The pull up regime seems to be ironing out some of the stress wrinkles. <br /><br />This morning 15 pull ups. Last year I plateaued at this level for a few weeks before getting to 17 and this appears to be happening again. Still have my sights on 20+. <br /><br />Later this morning: 2x5k at 25 spm (one at 1:58 the other at 2:00). Piece of cake. <br /><br />For week 10 of my 5k paced program, I've decided to back off a little on the progression of intensity. The troops need to retrench.

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » January 29th, 2005, 12:41 pm

20k this morning,<br /><br />50 mins stepper at 215 w,<br /><br />30 mins bike,<br /><br />5k erg easy pace,<br /><br />168 lbs.

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 29th, 2005, 1:02 pm

Not good today, have a stinking cold and shin splints, struggled to hold 1:48 for 3000m so stopped.<br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] DougB

Training

Post by [old] DougB » January 29th, 2005, 1:19 pm

Today was a 5K warmup and then a 2K race. I was hoping for something around 6:32 but ended up at 6:37.5. Just didn't have any energy today - not sure why. I rowed most of the second half at 1:40 - 1:42, and couldn't pull any harder. I was never out of breath or felt tired due to lactic acid - but I just couldn't go fast. Oh well - that stuff happens once in a while. It's still not a bad time, and my second best ever.<br /><br />This was also my first time on a Model D. It's a lot smoother and quieter than my Model C, even with the Model D upgrade. One slight problem, though: the race official said we weren't allowed to change the monitor, and mine happened to be set to show elapsed time instead of average pace. I suppose I could have changed it if I noticed in time, but I didn't, so I had to race without knowing my average pace, and that was important to my race plan. But I didn't matter anyway, as it turned out. Once I started seeing 1:40's show up I knew the day was over. So if anyone else is racing on a Model D soon, make sure you remember to check the monitor setting before the race starts. It's hard if you haven't seen it before, because time flies from the moment you sit down to when the race starts.<br /><br />I might try another 2K at home this week. At least at home I can control my warmup and pick a day when I have more energy. And I'll be on a machine that I'm used to...

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 29th, 2005, 3:53 pm

1000 sit ups, an hour of skipping, 21K 1:48 @ 22 spm--with short breaks, an hour bike<br /><br />1:48 @ 22 spm is feeling _very_ nice, heart rate more and more controlled<br /><br />Pushing the pace (and then backing off) helps relaxation at 1:48. Rowed quite a bit at 1:46 @ 22 spm, with even some 1:44<br /><br />ranger

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » January 29th, 2005, 4:12 pm

Ranger,<br /><br />This week I had the opportunity to train on a new cardio piece by Cybex that enables the user to get up to train up to 900 watts of work. Its a called the Arc Trainer it's a commercial piece. I was amazed how quickly the resistance changed working in and out of effort pieces for intervals.<br /><br />Gary