Model D Shudder

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] psu91

Product

Post by [old] psu91 » November 29th, 2004, 7:37 pm

My relatively new Model D is beginning to shudder more than a little on the recovery move while rowing but only well into a row AND within a certain speed range...before this began the machine has been very smooth...(thus far I've rowed roughly 200,000 meters)...<br><br>Is something out of whack that I need to fix/adjust?<br><br>Any thoughts out there?

[old] Blue44deuce

Product

Post by [old] Blue44deuce » November 29th, 2004, 11:39 pm

I'm no expert by any means. But maybe it needs oiled?

[old] preelfs

Product

Post by [old] preelfs » November 30th, 2004, 8:11 am

hello,<br>I have the same problem. I already oiled the rower but with no effect. <br>Any suggestions?<br>Thx

[old] becz

Product

Post by [old] becz » November 30th, 2004, 10:08 am

I don't have a D, but my model C used to have a slight pulsation (for lack of a better word) from time to time that I'd feel in the handle more than anything else. It sounds like the shudder you are experiencing is a little more dramatic. I recently removed the flywheel cover and the flywheel itself to completely clean it out, front and back. Since doing this, I no longer feel any vibrations at any speed. It might be worth trying on your D (it's pretty simple to do). I'm sure the C2 customer service folks would be happy to help you solve the problem also.<br><br>Good luck.

[old] c2jonw

Product

Post by [old] c2jonw » November 30th, 2004, 3:51 pm

Cleaning out the flywheel is a good idea. Typically a "shudder" on the recovery at a particular speed is indicative of either an out of balance flywheel or a bent flywheel axle- both of which would happen for the entire duration of the row. So maybe enough lint has attached itself to the flywheel to cause an occasional shudder. <br>Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean by a shudder.<br> <br>An out of balance flywheel will cause a vibration at certain resonant flywheel speeds, usually most noticable as a shaking monitor. Close the damper down completely, take several very hard strokes and then just let the flywheel run down while watching the monitor. If the flywheel is out of balance you will see 2-3 brief periods of vibration which progressively decrease in intensity as the flywheel slows down. <br>A bent axle will cause the monitor to vibrate during the recovery phase of the stroke at certain return rates. Typically, rowing at an easy pace and returning the handle very rapidly will reveal this problem. <br><br>But why this has developed over time and occurs only after rowing for a bit is a mystery to me.<br><br>Try the cleaning first, and oil the chain as well. Give us a call at C2 if it persists.....JonW.

[old] psu91

Product

Post by [old] psu91 » November 30th, 2004, 6:47 pm

When I say "shudder" I mean that the whole machine will shake on the recovery...it's not a slight wobble at all...I can feel it building from the beginning of the recovery to the end and then it smooths out when I begin the drive...as I said this is a rather recent development and it certainly hasn't been mistreated in any way...I'm fairly certain it's not a mechanical issue given that it has performed great up to this point...<br><br>So, I'm going to take the previous advice by cleaning it out and oiling the chain...<br><br>I really enjoy the machine (down 15 pounds already...15 to go!)...<br><br>Thanks to all who posted...if there are any other thoughts on this feel free to keep posting!

[old] ebolton

Product

Post by [old] ebolton » November 30th, 2004, 9:05 pm

Not much of a rower, but good at fixing machinery--<br><br>Check the framelock, and the tightness of the four screws that hold the front legs to the main beam.<br><br>Ed

[old] PaulS

Product

Post by [old] PaulS » November 30th, 2004, 9:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ebolton+Nov 30 2004, 05:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ebolton @ Nov 30 2004, 05:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Not much of a rower, but good at fixing machinery--<br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> A guy name "Bolt - on" that's good at fixing machinery? Figures!