What Training Have You Done Today???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » January 11th, 2005, 11:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Jan 10 2005, 08:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Jim Barry @ Jan 10 2005, 08:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> But I do have ample time in the week for resting (compensation?). We'll see how this all goes. <br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Normally going all out even two times a week would be more than I would recommend to anyone, but you're resting completely in between these efforts. You might be getting enough recovery time by doing so. It will be interesting to see how your body holds up to this regemin.

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » January 11th, 2005, 1:49 pm

30 mins pb attempt today,<br><br>along the way I also shaved 2 seconds off my 5k and 20 seconds off the 6k, the 30 mins was 8283m a pb by 117m,<br><br>then a 20 mins on the stepper at 250 watts

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 11th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Coach Gus, <br><br>I'm making a distinction to never go all out. It is just a stone's throw away though. I think taking this same idea to a 10k based program might be more dangerous. Hard 5k's just do not use that much glycogen (although they use it pretty fast). I'm actually most afraid of losing my focus/interest. If anything, this takes a lot of motivation. I have to add that I'm beginning a pull up improvement program along side this rowing now. Today I did one set to max (that was 8). Last year I did this one set to max most days and went from 7 to 17 in about 2 months. That whole program was about a 1 hour investment in my time (I did it while I went to get wood in the woodpile). <br><br>--Jim

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 11th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Today, 25 mile bike ride, then 6000m on-line session.<br><br>With W/U & C/D a total of 10k<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Don Seymour

Training

Post by [old] Don Seymour » January 11th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Jim,<br><br>Did you find the pull up improvement from 7 to 17 to help your rowing?<br><br>-Don

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 11th, 2005, 8:19 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jim,<br><br>Did you find the pull up improvement from 7 to 17 to help your rowing?<br><br>-Don <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br><br>I was not rowing at the time, so it is hard to say. The pull ups were all part of a general plan to work on my core strength. I gave up endurance training for strength and flexibility training. When I returned to endurance training I was better for it (training went really well last summer). I'll keep you up to date on how this round of pull up training goes when I train on the erg at the same time. <br><br>--Jim

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 12th, 2005, 4:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Jan 11 2005, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Jim Barry @ Jan 11 2005, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jim,<br><br>Did you find the pull up improvement from 7 to 17 to help your rowing?<br><br>-Don <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br><br>I was not rowing at the time, so it is hard to say. The pull ups were all part of a general plan to work on my core strength. I gave up endurance training for strength and flexibility training. When I returned to endurance training I was better for it (training went really well last summer). I'll keep you up to date on how this round of pull up training goes when I train on the erg at the same time. <br><br>--Jim<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Don't know about this for sure, it seems to me that core stability and strength, to the extent that they are significant in rowing (i.e., to the extent that they combine productively with other things and lead to the productive developmente of other things (CV fitness, technique, etc.), can be most readily developed and tested by UT2 rowing or some equivalent (e.g., Level 4 rowing in the Wolverine Plan), which seem to be measures of efficient stroking power (i.e., How much can you pull when working effortlessly, or at least at a low level of CV strain)? <br><br>ranger

[old] Physicist

Training

Post by [old] Physicist » January 12th, 2005, 5:23 am

Disagree Ranger. Tested maybe, but not developed. If a rower has inadequate core strength (which 99% of rowers do!) then rowing is unlikely to rectify this. Lack of core stability leads to poor technique (an inability to maintain posture during the drive) and just rowing will in most cases lead to this poor technique being ingrained, and other muscle groups strengthening to try and compensate for the deficiency.<br><br>I would favour just rowing as the remedy for most physical weaknesses - but the core muscles are tricky to engage and use before you've built up some strength and control of them. Most rowers (water) incorporate separate core-stability training into their schedule.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 12th, 2005, 7:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Physicist+Jan 12 2005, 04:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Physicist @ Jan 12 2005, 04:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Disagree Ranger.  Tested maybe, but not developed.  If a rower has inadequate core strength (which 99% of rowers do!) then rowing is unlikely to rectify this.  Lack of core stability leads to poor technique (an inability to maintain posture during the drive) and just rowing will in most cases lead to this poor technique being ingrained, and other muscle groups strengthening to try and compensate for the deficiency.<br><br>I would favour just rowing as the remedy for most physical weaknesses - but the core muscles are tricky to engage and use before you've built up some strength and control of them.  Most rowers (water) incorporate separate core-stability training into their schedule.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Thanks. Then I stand corrected.<br><br>I am not a good source for my own statement, I am afraid. I have done _loads_ of core work (1000 sit ups a day for long periods, etc.).<br><br>Interestingly, when I mentioned that I did this core work, "experts" on this line told me that rowing is just fine as is to develop your core. No need to do anything else.<br><br>Oh well.<br><br>ranger

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 12th, 2005, 7:12 am

21K, 1:50 @ 21 spm, with short breaks to keep my heart rate below 160 bpm<br><br>Stroke is getting _very_ nice now, although I am not _completely_ relaxed yet. I think that things will be _totally_ in order by the time of the CRASH-Bs, though. Just need to keep putting in a lot of (easy, relaxed) meters at this high power (13 SPI) as I work up other things for racing.<br><br>I am trying trying get my heart rate down to 154 bpm (70% MHR) at 1:50 and 20-22 spm and then work up the muscular durability to hold this for a marathon. This would be the (UT2) base for a 6:20 2K.<br><br>I am getting close.<br><br>ranger

[old] Andrew Burrows

Training

Post by [old] Andrew Burrows » January 12th, 2005, 7:15 am

Ranger - Crash B's are only approx 4 weeks away, are you going to do any shorter intervals (500's, 1k's, 2k's etc) and if so when will you start these and how often will you do them?

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » January 12th, 2005, 11:08 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jan 12 2005, 03:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ranger @ Jan 12 2005, 03:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I am trying trying get my heart rate down to 154 bpm (70% MHR) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> This 154 = 70% MHR seems high. What are your max and resting heartrates?

[old] Paul Smith

Training

Post by [old] Paul Smith » January 12th, 2005, 2:32 pm

Weights in the morning.<br><br>Afternoon 5 X 1500m, 5min rest Target pace 1:45 <br>2K strapless warm up <br><br>1:44.8 30spm 170bpm <br>1:44.8 30spm 171bpm <br>1:44.8 30spm 172bpm <br>1:44.7 30spm 174bpm <br>1:42.8 30spm 180bpm legs didn't feel like a sprint so just pulled a bit harder throughout. <br><br>2K strapless cooldown <br><br>AVE 1:44.4 Realy struggled with motivation, just don't like going quick. Don't get on at me Ranger

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 12th, 2005, 5:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Burrows+Jan 12 2005, 06:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Andrew Burrows @ Jan 12 2005, 06:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ranger - Crash B's are only approx 4 weeks away, are you going to do any shorter intervals (500's, 1k's, 2k's etc) and if so when will you start these and how often will you do them?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Sure, all of the above. <br><br>How much and when? No set schedule. If I want to, it seems that I can do faster rowing every day when I sharpen. I don't seem to need a recovery day inbetween. <br><br>I did some one minute on, one minute off (1:32-1:36) yesterday. Power is _very_ good at the moment, so there is no jolting transition this time between long distance rowing and sprinting. <br><br>I might try some 1Ks or 2Ks tomorrow. Need to start getting some 5Ks in, too.<br><br>ranger

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 12th, 2005, 5:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Jan 12 2005, 10:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Coach Gus @ Jan 12 2005, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jan 12 2005, 03:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ranger @ Jan 12 2005, 03:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I am  trying trying get my heart rate down to 154 bpm (70% MHR) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>This 154 = 70% MHR seems high. What are your max and resting heartrates?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Nope. <br><br>200 MHR, 45 RHR<br><br>.70 (200-45) + 45 = 154 bpm<br><br>ranger