What Training Have You Done Today???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » November 26th, 2004, 5:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Nov 23 2004, 04:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Coach Gus @ Nov 23 2004, 04:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SteveV+Nov 23 2004, 10:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (SteveV @ Nov 23 2004, 10:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well as long as he doesn't start watching race that he should be rowing in, I think he will be OK. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Nah, that would never happen. Roy would rather die on the erg than to give up without even trying.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I don't know about how others view these things, but for me, most of the significant "trying" or "giving up" in sports, especially sports such as rowing, is done in training, not in racing. Racing is just determined by your training. <br><br>Racing is more dramatic performance than sustained effort. Yes, you have to race to reveal in some sort of objective way how you have "tried" in practice, but IMHO, that is about all that racing reveals. If you "try" in races but "give up" in training, the result, when revealed in racing, is pretty clear.<br><br>You can race anytime to reveal how you have "tried" in your training. No particular race venue is crucial. But for your racing to be successful, you need to train intelligently, consistently, and with great effort, day after day. <br><br>ranger

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » November 26th, 2004, 5:30 pm

Today was the first day with snow on the ground and the roads clear enough for riding, so I first did a very nice trike ride, only about 25 miles, and enjoyed the return trip pedaling and sipping my coffee (the joys of riding a trike--you only need one hand while steering.) It is a joy to have a trike and get outdoors in the winter. <br><br>Since I'm doing the holiday challenge, I did a comfortable 10K this afternoon. Well, right at the end I did a few harder pulls and had the HR at 177, which is below my max, at the end. <br><br>Byron<br><br>

[old] jus gray

Training

Post by [old] jus gray » November 26th, 2004, 6:28 pm

I`m well pleased as I just completed my first 100k today and feel I have a few more of them coming.<br><br>The log book on this site is good as well as I`d never write it all down on paper.

[old] J.D.

Training

Post by [old] J.D. » November 26th, 2004, 9:13 pm

Today I did 50K in 3:50:00 (2:18. avg) in one sitting. I mostly pulled 2:14-2:15 but one bathroom break and lots of short drinking stops I wound up with the slower average. <br><br>I finished that 4 hours ago and I'm feeling pretty good. I might do 90K on Sunday.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » November 27th, 2004, 2:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Nov 23 2004, 01:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Coach Gus @ Nov 23 2004, 01:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SteveV+Nov 23 2004, 08:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (SteveV @ Nov 23 2004, 08:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 40km a day, you've been hanging around with Ranger for too long <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Next thing you know he'll also be skipping and sitting for hours. Ranger I and Ranger II. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I have explained this before, but here goes again: The daily hour of sit ups and daily hour of skipping that I do (before erging) has many indirect benefits, too. First, the increased investment of time and energy just makes my workouts consistently longer (by a factor of 2-3x) and therefore more challenging than most. At the same time, the added work is both muscle specific and (when you get used to it) cardiovascularly mild and therefore provides a more thorough warm up for the harder work that I do on the erg. These long warm-ups (1) keep my general fitness high and (2) serve as a buffer against staleness, overtraining, injury, sickness--all of which tend to plague rowers at some point, especially older rowers or those younger rowers who are capable of doing large quantities of especially damaging hard work. My long warm ups dispel the adverse effects of the hard work of the previous day and get me completely relaxed, tuned up, and ready for another bout of hard work.<br><br>Much of the chatter from coaches on this forum is about staleness, overtraining, sickness, improper preparation for a certain workload, etc. Rightly so. There are good ways to prevent these (disasterous) things. I think I have found one of the best. Following my warm up regimen religiously, over the last three years, I have never been stale, sick, or injured, even though I am now 53 years old, do 3-4 hours of physical work a day, train year round, and have been rowing consistently at (or close to) the highest (i.e., world record) level for some time now.<br><br>ranger

[old] wrez

Training

Post by [old] wrez » November 27th, 2004, 12:37 pm

today i did 1 h workout and that got about 15300 meters dont really remember at a steady rate 1.56

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » November 28th, 2004, 8:29 am

2x5000m with 5 min rest capped at 25spm today <br>1st 18:15.5 (1:49.6) 25spm <br>2nd 18:15.9 (1:49.6) 25spm <br><br>Felt the 5K from last night still in my legs (17:29.1) 1:44.9. <br><br>30min at 20spm tomorrow. <br><br>Sir Pirate<br>

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » November 29th, 2004, 5:28 pm

Having "completed" the 265w intensity last week in terms of having managed it for 30min or 8202m, I have now turned to 270w. <br><br>Between 7900m and 8600m it just so happens that every 5w means 50 meters, so this means that completing the 270w intensity means going 8250 meters for half an hour (8254m to be exact).<br><br>I didn't go for the 30 min today. Last thursday I tried the intensity for the first time. I did 19 min. Today I did it for 6k which I completed in 21:46. This is actually a PB. <br><br>The last 50m I decided to see how much power I had left and I only barely managed to get the pace below 1:30. This got me thinking. I was not very tired, still the pace for a 6min 2k was almost out of reach for me. It could be interpreted so, that to do a 6min 2k (which I never will) I would actually have to have so much aerobic capacity that I would be rather untired when finishing, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hold the split. You need a lot of aerobic capacity _and_ strength reserves to do sub 6, so that you can afford being tired. On the other hand, does not a marathon make you weak, even though you are not very aerobically tired? (I don't know)

[old] TheHagueDragon

Training

Post by [old] TheHagueDragon » November 30th, 2004, 8:33 am

Today i did 30 minutes.<br>1 K warmup, then 1 minute speed (avg 1:43/500), 1 minute easy (avg 2:06/500).<br>It ended in 7770 meters which is a PB because i've never did 30 minutes.<br>I am curious what the distance should be if i do 30 minutes without intervals. Based on my 15 minutes, 4098 metres it could be over 8000 i think.

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » November 30th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Had a better session today, am hoping things are starting to pick up a bit. A number of longer interval sessions today, the fastest being a 2K in 6:29.1 <br><br>Sir Pirate<br>

[old] Atorrante

Training

Post by [old] Atorrante » November 30th, 2004, 6:00 pm

Look down there.

[old] Atorrante

Training

Post by [old] Atorrante » November 30th, 2004, 6:01 pm

2X5000 With 5 minutes rest. 18:57 and 19:07 respectively.

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » December 1st, 2004, 5:58 pm

I biked for 40 minutes. Biking feels much easier than rowing at the same HR. This was an easy session but HR was still in the range 157-160. <br><br>I didn't want to row as I was saving for a monumental fly and die tomorrow. <br>1000m will be the distance I intend to finish. First 500 I will do at 1:28 and then just see what happens when I continue. I will believe that lactate just means more energy. Pain will be good, pain will be the target <br><br><br>

[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » December 1st, 2004, 10:02 pm

6' warmup<br>stretch<br>10' AT, 26 SPM, 2480 meters, average heart rate 156<br>stretch<br>5' cooldown<br><br>felt good, although it took a while to heat up. My erg is in our unheated garage currently, outside temp minus 9 degrees C.

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » December 2nd, 2004, 2:23 pm

Today I did the 1k fly and die. I started out the first 500m a little more reserved than I said I would. Only 1:30. Perhaps I should, add, that currently I am no faster than 6:39ish over 2k, since I have had problems with continuity in rowing. <br><br>After the start there was a quick fade in power. Before I knew it I could only pull 1:45:s but there it levelled out. <br><br>I think I failed a little in going for maximum pain. My mind was thinking more in terms of wanting to endure after 550m. I didn't feel so much lactate biting either at the end, I was just weak and hyperventilating. I don't think I really got in to every stroke and gave it all I've got. I was more observing "from the outside" how I felt and what the monitor said, and trying to give it all from there.<br><br>The end result was 3:11.5. I am not too pleased. It would have been nice to go sub 3:10. However, it is still a PB since I've never tried the 1k before. <br><br>Also, now I am a fresh fly and die experience richer. I Haven't done a such since my first 2k, in which I started out the first half 4.5 s/500 faster than the end average, kind of like now, though this was 5.5s/500 faster than average.<br><br>Anyone with an idea, based on this, of what I could do for a even paced k?