Wolverine Plan Discussion

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 4:03 pm

"Troll Alert" -- Bayko!

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 4:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br />In all due respect, this thread is in danger of being usurped. <br /><br />What had started as a discussion of the Wolverine Plan, and had progressed reasonably in that direction, is turning into another "let me kiss Mike's butt" thread with a few needles at Ranger along the way. Giving Bayko the benefit of a doubt that this has happened inadvertently (i.e., he just can't help himself), I'll start a new thread for him to put forth his feelings for Mike and for others to add theirs.<br /><br />Cheers.

[old] afolpe

Training

Post by [old] afolpe » October 29th, 2005, 4:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Oct 29 2005, 03:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Oct 29 2005, 03:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike </td></tr></table><br />In all due respect, this thread is in danger of being usurped. <br /><br />What had started as a discussion of the Wolverine Plan, and had progressed reasonably in that direction, is turning into another "let me kiss Mike's butt" thread with a few needles at Ranger along the way. Giving Bayko the benefit of a doubt that this has happened inadvertently (i.e., he just can't help himself), I'll start a new thread for him to put forth his feelings for Mike and for others to add theirs.<br /><br />Cheers. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />"Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write a follow-up message entitled "Troll Alert" and type only this:<br /><br />The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.<br /><br />By posting such a message, you let the troll know that you know what he is, and that you are not going to get dragged into his twisted little hobby."<br /><br />From:http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 5:09 pm

"Troll Alert" -- Andrew Folpe the Quack!

[old] joanvb

Training

Post by [old] joanvb » October 29th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Hi Mike,<br /><br />You may be aware that quite a few of us (women, men, light and heavy) in Long Beach use your Wolverine Plan as a guide, and I just want to let you know that we appreciate all the updates. <br /> <br />Our group has discussed how your work-outs are challenging, but generally not hideously grueling....So we can face them regularly. We actually (almost) look forward to them. <br /><br />When my erging buddies and I have the opportunity, we encourage others to give your plan a try....You have a lot of followers here in Long Beach, and we look forward to your continuing posts. <br /><br />Joan VB

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 6:26 pm

Joan,<br /><br />Thank you for your lovely comments supporting Mike and the Wolverine Plan and also kissing Mike's butt.<br /><br />Please notice we have started the new "Let Me Kiss Mike's Butt" thread so we can have all these messages on one place.<br /><br />Thank you!

[old] joanvb

Training

Post by [old] joanvb » October 29th, 2005, 6:55 pm

Hi Mike, <br /><br />Please keep those posts and responses to training questions coming on this most appropriate thread, "Wolverine Plan Discussion." <br /> <br /> Joan

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Joan,<br /><br />I have copied and moved a copy of your post to the "kiss Mike's butt" thread.<br /><br />Thank you posting it and please do keep enjoying yourself on the forum

[old] PaulH

Training

Post by [old] PaulH » October 29th, 2005, 9:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Oct 29 2005, 05:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Oct 29 2005, 05:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Joan,<br /><br />I am moving your post to the "kiss Mike's butt" thread.<br /><br />Thank you posting it and please do keep enjoying yourself on the forum <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />John,<br /><br />Using the phrase "I am moving your post" rather than the correct "I copied the text of your post" makes you sound like an admin on the forum. Please don't do that.<br /><br />I deleted the thread you created - I strongly dislike removing material, even that which is profane or insulting, but that thread was clearly intended for nothing except insults, which is not the purpose of the board. Outside of spam threads and duplicates this is the first time I've deleted a thread.<br /><br />You've reminded me that with the reformatting of the board we lost the text of the guidelines for use. I shall try to update them shortly.<br /><br />Cheers, Paul

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Bayko had started a thread for Ranger, from this very thread as a matter of fact.<br /><br />I took Bayko's exact words and inserted "Mike" and retitled the thread to fit, and also encouraged people to show their support of Mike and his plan and showing their love for him. Additionally my new thread was much more welcoming to those who love Mike, than Bayko's was about Ranger as his thread was rather condesending.<br /><br />It appears we have a double standard here on the forum!<br /><br />However, let's not let this stop us from showing our love to Mike!<br /><br />Since we can't do it on the thread specially opened for Mike, then let's keep showing our love on this one. <br /><br />I wonder why Bayko hasn't joined in the fun. Perhaps he's waiting to get a good night's sleep first.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Paul,<br /><br />Actually first I copied the post and then I moved the text that I'd copied to be as a part of the posts supporting Mike, in the special thread that had been opened for him.<br /><br />Alas, Mike, we tried. <br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 10:18 pm

Here is the previous thread posted by Bayko:<br /><br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... st&p=35262' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... p=35262</a>

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 10:20 pm

And the one I posted earlier:<br /><br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... st&p=38567' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... 567</a><br /><br />Notice they are basically identical, with the exception that mine is more supportive than was Bayko's.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 29th, 2005, 10:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulH+Oct 29 2005, 06:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulH @ Oct 29 2005, 06:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I deleted the thread you created - I strongly dislike removing material, even that which is profane or insulting, but that thread was clearly intended for nothing except insults, which is not the purpose of the board.  Outside of spam threads and duplicates this is the first time I've deleted a thread.[right] </td></tr></table><br /><br />This morning I posted some comments about altitude rowing.<br /><br />Then Bayko posted a paragraph which was clearly intended for nothing except insults.<br /><br />Note, the thread I posted for Mike was about love and not insults.<br /><br />In any case, have you removed Bayko's post from the altitude thread?<br /><br />And have you removed AFolpe's posts that are clearly intended as insult and out of line with the discussion of cholesterol?<br /><br />I am sure you can justify why you would leave their insults, which really was the reason that I started a love thread about Mike -- doing the opposite you see -- however the guidelines should really fit their intention.

[old] Mike Caviston

Training

Post by [old] Mike Caviston » October 29th, 2005, 11:50 pm

<b>Pacing, Part 3</b> <br />To reiterate again some of the major strategies from the Wolverine Plan regarding pacing:<br /><br />1) Select a Goal pace for a given workout (e.g., 4 x 2K) based on an overall seasonal progression. Know where you are at the start of a training season, and where you want to end up at the end of the season. Follow a fairly linear progression (i.e., rate of improvement) from the beginning to the end of the season. Goal paces for a given session should be chosen with consideration for the number of weeks before your Big Race for the season (e.g., twelve, eight, or four weeks before CRASH-Bs). From one week to the next, modify the Goal Pace slightly if dictated by recent results. So, if the goals for the same/similar session from the past two weeks were achieved easily, you might consider making the next pace a little faster than you originally calculated. If you’ve recently struggled to reach your goals (or failed to reach a goal), you might want to adjust your current goal to be a little slower than originally calculated. This might involve repeating the previous goal, or even going back to a goal from a couple weeks ago. <br /><br />2) Once a specific target has been selected for a given workout, determine Goal Paces for each individual piece within the workout, as I described previously. For example, if the overall GP for a 4 x 2K workout is 1:41.8, my format would be 1st piece @ 1:42.0; 2nd @ 1:41.8; 3rd @ 1:41.8; and 4th @ 1:41.6.<br /><br />3) Have a strategy for finishing each individual piece at the desired pace. One strategy is to simple start a given piece a few tenths of a second slower than GP, and gradually bring the pace down to GP over the body of the piece. I’ve used that strategy successfully for years. I still use it for Level 1 workout intervals shorter than 1K. I haven’t performed the Level 2 workout 5 x 1500m in a couple years, but I plan to get back to it a couple times this season using this “fairly even pace” strategy. When I do Level 3 intervals (i.e., 3-5’ or 1250-1500m work intervals with a strict 3:1 work:recovery ratio), I also use this format. But for other workouts (specifically 4 x 1K, 4 x 2K, 3K/2.5K/2K, 6K/5K/4K, and continuous Level 3) I have developed a more elaborate format.<br /><br />Again, a basic disclaimer: the format I am about to describe is not meant to represent the optimal way to produce the fastest times for these workouts. It is a strategy I use to facilitate consistency of performance, to facilitate a steady structured progression of fitness, and to give myself a firmer mental grasp on some tough workouts.<br /><br />I divide each interval into 5 segments (inspired by the default setting of the PM3). I plot whole number (no decimal) GPs for each segment, and round the interval GP as well as the overall workout GP off to an even decimal. Example:<br /><br />Workout GP for 4 x 2K: 1:41.8<br />GP for first 2K interval: 1:42.0<br /> GP for 1st 400m: 1:44<br /> GP for 2nd 400m: 1:43<br /> GP for 3rd 400m: 1:42<br /> GP for 4th 400m: 1:41<br /> GP for 5th 400m: 1:40<br />GP for second 2K interval: 1:41.8<br /> GP for 1st 400m: 1:43<br /> GP for 2nd 400m: 1:43<br /> GP for 3rd 400m: 1:42<br /> GP for 4th 400m: 1:41<br /> GP for 5th 400m: 1:40<br />GP for third 2K interval: 1:41.8; format same as for second interval<br />GP for fourth 2K interval: 1:41.6<br /> GP for 1st 400m: 1:43<br /> GP for 2nd 400m: 1:42<br /> GP for 3rd 400m: 1:42<br /> GP for 4th 400m: 1:41<br /> GP for 5th 400m: 1:40<br /><br />I have created tables for all the various combinations for paces between 1:30-2:10, but unfortunately I can’t reproduce them here. Hopefully the pattern becomes clear. If the GP for an interval (2K in the above example) is a whole number, then the segment GPs are, 1st segment = GP+2; 2nd segment = GP+1; 3rd segment = GP; 4th segment = GP-1; 5th segment = GP-2. If the GP for an interval is a whole number -.2, subtract 1 second from the first segment; if the interval GP is a whole number -.4, subtract an additional 1 second from the second segment; and so on. I know it sounds confusing, but it’s based on a simple repeating pattern.<br /><br />So, for an interval GP of 1:42.0, you have (from 1st to 5th segments):<br />1:44, 1:43, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40.<br />For 1:41.8: 1:43, 1:43, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40.<br />For 1:41.6: 1:43, 1:42, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40.<br />For 1:41.4: 1:43, 1:42, 1:41, 1:41, 1:40.<br />For 1:41.2: 1:43, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40, 1:40.<br />For 1:41.0: 1:43, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40, 1:39.<br />For 1:40.8: 1:42, 1:42, 1:41, 1:40, 1:39.<br />For 1:40.6: 1:42, 1:41, 1:41, 1:40, 1:39.<br />Etc. etc. etc. Just substitute the same general pattern for other interval GPs (1:54.2, 1:35.6, etc.)<br /><br />An example using 3K/2.5K/2K and a 1:59.8 GP for the entire workout:<br />First interval is 3K; GP is 1:59.8 + .4 = 2:00.2.<br />3K is 5 x 600m segments; segment GPs are 2:02, 2:01, 2:00, 1:59, 1:59.<br />Second interval is 2.5K; GP is 1:59.8.<br />2.5K is 5 x 500m segments; segment GPs are 2:01, 2:01, 2:00, 1:59, 1:58.<br />Third interval is 2K; GP is 1:59.8 - .6 = 1:59.2.<br />2K is 5 x 400m segments; segment GPs are 2:01, 2:00, 1:59, 1:58, 1:58.<br /><br />Another example using 4 x 1K and an overall GP of 1:35.2:<br />The GPs for the four 1K interval s are 1:35.4, 1:35.2, 1:35.2, and 1:35.0.<br />Each 1K is divided into 200m segments. Segment GPs for the first 1K are 1:37, 1:36, 1:35, 1:35, 1:34. For the next two 1Ks: 1:37, 1:36, 1:35, 1:34, 1:34. For the final 1K: 1:37, 1:36, 1:35, 1:34, 1:33.<br /><br />You have to be technically sharp to row this way, to make the desired shifts when necessary and consistently hit the desired splits (and hold the correspondingly appropriate stroke rates). It is extremely challenging during 4 x 1K when the shifts come every 200m and the fatigue factor is high. But I believe this technical proficiency (the skill to hit and hold the descending paces) is beneficial in allowing one to utilize maximal efficiency. – I don’t hit every target GP <b>exactly</b> on <b>every</b> segment, but pretty close, and it is rare that I miss a target GP by more than a tenth of a second. If you attempt this method, and struggle initially, I encourage you to stick with it until you develop the ability to hit your desired goals almost automatically (the same as with Level 4 training).<br /><br />For long, continuous Level 3 rows I modify the format slightly. These workouts should be 60’-plus in duration; that will be at least 12-16K for most people (I am currently doing 24K, which most recently took 87:02.7). My approach is to break the long row into multiple smaller segments with 4-5 whole number GPs to achieve my overall GP for the workout. The number of smaller segments varies depending on the length of the workout and the best division to keep the math simple. So I divide 24K into a dozen 2K segments. I am going to bump the workout up to 25K soon and will divide it into 10 segments each 2.5K in length. For 15K I would probably keep it simple and use 3K segments. Once I establish my overall GP for the entire workout, I use the general format described above for the interval workouts, but play with it a little bit to adapt it to the longer workout. The spread of segment paces from start to finish (gradually getting faster, of course) will be 3-4 seconds (e.g., 1:51-1:47). Yesterday my 24K goal was 1:49.0, and my GPs for each 2K were 1:51, 1:51, 1:50, 1:50, 1:49, 1:49, 1:49, 1:49, 1:48, 1:48, 1:47, 1:47. Again, this isn’t the absolute fastest way to do a long workout like this, but I know I’ll be warmed up before things get too hard, and I can break the overall workout down mentally into shorter segments. These workouts just don’t seem that long any more. The last 4-6K can be pretty challenging, but by that point I’ve invested too much in the workout to give up easily, and proportionally the remaining distance is small enough that I can usually tough it out. Perception-wise, each segment might feel something like this:<br />1st segment: almost too easy; have to hold back to keep from going faster.<br />2nd segment: fairly easy; could keep the pace for a long time and the thought of going faster doesn’t concern me much.<br />3rd segment: just about right; couldn’t cruise like this forever, though; could go faster if I HAD too.<br />4th segment: this feels like work, but I can handle it; don’t know how I can go faster, though.<br />5th segment: hang on somehow; I guess I can do it after all.<br /><br />Overall, I’ve found this strategy very helpful when approaching tough workouts for which I’ve reached plateaus over the past couple years. (You think 4 x 1K is a bitch? You ought to be in my shoes, who has done it so many times and know that even if I kill myself on this workout, rather than becoming faster I can only hope to become less slow.) Others who are newer to these workouts might not need such special guidance. Still others will think it is another example of how the Wolverine Plan is too complicated and structured. Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice. This is just an option. To summarize the main advantages of the system:<br />• Built-in extended warm-up makes hard work physiologically less stressful<br />• More consistent, reproducible results<br />• Mentally reduces longer, tough workouts to manageable chunks<br />• Develops technical proficiencies required to change pace/rate on demand<br />• Ingrains the concept of finishing strong/always getting faster<br />But, I would also say this strategy requires a certain level of commitment and mental toughness some people just don’t have. It takes a certain faith in your abilities to spend the entire workout behind your goal pace, knowing there isn’t much room for error and that as tired as you are, you have to find a way to get faster before the workout is over. But with practice, the proper attitude can become automatic and I think the value of such an approach when racing is tremendous.<br /><br />Well, there you have the Wolverine Plan approach to pacing during training & racing. I don’t imagine everything will sink in all at once or that everyone who reads this will be convinced of the strategy’s effectiveness. But as I have said repeatedly regarding the WP, I’m not seeking converts. I’m just trying to clarify for anyone interested exactly what the program is all about. Happy training.<br /><br />Mike Caviston<br />