New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Ben Rea

Training

Post by [old] Ben Rea » January 29th, 2006, 3:35 pm

new 6k PB!!! 25:14.3 !! woot! beat my last 6k by 36.4 seconds! <br /><br />looking to get into 24 mins soon

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 3:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ben Rea+Jan 29 2006, 03:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ben Rea @ Jan 29 2006, 03:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->new 6k PB!!!    25:14.3  !! woot! beat my last 6k by 36.4 seconds! <br /><br />looking to get into 24 mins soon <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Excellent Ben ... that call from Oxford or Cambridge is that much closer ...

[old] Ben Rea

Training

Post by [old] Ben Rea » January 29th, 2006, 3:46 pm

HAHAHAHA, you crack me up...

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 3:52 pm

New 2K PB: <b>7:23.3</b> down from 7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati, which was a <b>HUGE </b>surpise for me ... being my first race. I had a rotten night's sleep due to too much caffeine yesterday used to stay awake on the drive down to Cincinnati, and had to drop a pound at 5:30 am jogging in sweats and windshirt in the hotel room to make weight (164.5 at weigh in ... close).<br /><br />I have to thank my daughter, for coxing me right on the 7:18 target pace until almost the last 300M, and of course Mike C. for the Wolverine Plan and associated "virtual coaching" ... plus the good wishes of many here.<br /><br />But, I do have to say that if I hear, "OK Dad, <u><b>explode </b></u>off those streatchers!" one more time today, someone's gonna get hurt!

[old] Ben Rea

Training

Post by [old] Ben Rea » January 29th, 2006, 3:55 pm

wow, thats a great time!<br /><br />sounds like your daughter is on her way to being the best little coxswain there ever was! anoying coxswain=best coxswain

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 29th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Hey Mark,<br /><br />Congrats on your new PB.<br /><br />What are the details of the race, the venue and your warmup and all?<br /><br />Did you hold 7:18 pace for 1700 meters?

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » January 29th, 2006, 4:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well done Mark. Good effort.

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 5:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jan 29 2006, 04:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jan 29 2006, 04:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Mark,<br /><br />Congrats on your new PB.<br /><br />What are the details of the race, the venue and your warmup and all?<br /><br />Did you hold 7:18 pace for 1700 meters? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks John ...<br /><br />Yes, I held 7:18 to 7:20 pace (1:48 to 1:50 pulls) through about 1700M and then had a bout with the "what in the world am I doing?" monster ... pace went to 1:53 and even 1:54 I think, which is when my daughter's voice went up an octave and many decibels. I do believe that gave me a shake and I got back on track. Without her, no way I would have done this well.<br /><br />I can certainly give Dougie and everyone else who's done it a <b>huge </b>hand for breaking 7 <u><b>as a LW</b></u>. It is not going to be an easy goal for me to achieve, but one that's worth shooting for.<br /><br />The venue is great ... a large high school gym with a ton of warm-up machines right behind the two banks (12 each, side by side) of racing Ds. Two large projection screens, and good room for spectators, but no elevated seating. They appeared to keep the room fairly cool, and it was a wet, rainy day about 50 degree F, so I did not notice a problem with dryness. No racing hack or anything of that nature. It was a very well run race. The staff who volunteered were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I'd recommend this race to everyone who can possibly make it. You will not be disappointed. Oh yes, everything was on time ... to the minute.

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 5:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jan 29 2006, 04:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jan 29 2006, 04:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well done Mark. Good effort. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Dougie.

[old] FrancoisA

Training

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 29th, 2006, 6:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 07:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati, which was a <b>HUGE </b>surpise for me ... being my first race.  I had a rotten night's sleep due to too much caffeine yesterday used to stay awake on the drive down to Cincinnati, and had to drop a pound at 5:30 am jogging in sweats and windshirt in the hotel room to make weight (164.5 at weigh in ... close).<br /><br />I have to thank my daughter, for coxing me right on the 7:18 target pace until almost the last 300M, and of course Mike C. for the Wolverine Plan and associated "virtual coaching" ... plus the good wishes of many here.<br /><br />But, I do have to say that if I hear, "OK Dad, <u><b>explode </b></u>off those streatchers!" one more time today, someone's gonna get hurt! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congratulations Mark! <br />With the consistency in training you have shown, I wouldn't worry about going sub 7 min, you'll make it eventually.<br />Now, if you could just explode off those stretchers a little more... <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Francois

[old] browny71

Training

Post by [old] browny71 » January 29th, 2006, 6:03 pm

<br /> Well done mark great result

[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » January 29th, 2006, 6:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 08:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 08:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati, which was a <b>HUGE </b>surpise for me ... being my first race.  I had a rotten night's sleep due to too much caffeine yesterday used to stay awake on the drive down to Cincinnati, and had to drop a pound at 5:30 am jogging in sweats and windshirt in the hotel room to make weight (164.5 at weigh in ... close).<br /><br />I have to thank my daughter, for coxing me right on the 7:18 target pace until almost the last 300M, and of course Mike C. for the Wolverine Plan and associated "virtual coaching" ... plus the good wishes of many here.<br /><br />But, I do have to say that if I hear, "OK Dad, <u><b>explode </b></u>off those streatchers!" one more time today, someone's gonna get hurt! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Congrets mark Keep on going. Being your first race a good expirience.

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 6:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hjs+Jan 29 2006, 06:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hjs @ Jan 29 2006, 06:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 08:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 08:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 ... not a huge improvement, but good enough to win gold in the LW Masters Category in Cincinnati, which was a <b>HUGE </b>surpise for me ... being my first race.  I had a rotten night's sleep due to too much caffeine yesterday used to stay awake on the drive down to Cincinnati, and had to drop a pound at 5:30 am jogging in sweats and windshirt in the hotel room to make weight (164.5 at weigh in ... close).<br /><br />I have to thank my daughter, for coxing me right on the 7:18 target pace until almost the last 300M, and of course Mike C. for the Wolverine Plan and associated "virtual coaching" ... plus the good wishes of many here.<br /><br />But, I do have to say that if I hear, "OK Dad, <u><b>explode </b></u>off those streatchers!" one more time today, someone's gonna get hurt! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Congrets mark Keep on going. Being your first race a good expirience. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />HJS:<br /><br />And thanks for your words of inspiration & support this week. How was your 2K today?<br /><br />Regards -- Mark<br />

[old] johnnybike

Training

Post by [old] johnnybike » January 29th, 2006, 7:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 02:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 02:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Really well done Mark. You have been putting in some good training recently and you deserve the PB. Congrats on the gold as well. Nice one in your first race. <br /><br />My first race today was not as good. 0.9 off a PB but I made a lot of mistakes with the warm up and the set-up so lessons learned comes out on top today. More details in my diary<br />

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 29th, 2006, 7:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Jan 29 2006, 07:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Jan 29 2006, 07:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 29 2006, 02:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 29 2006, 02:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:  <b>7:23.3</b> down from  7:26.1 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Really well done Mark. You have been putting in some good training recently and you deserve the PB. Congrats on the gold as well. Nice one in your first race. <br /><br />My first race today was not as good. 0.9 off a PB but I made a lot of mistakes with the warm up and the set-up so lessons learned comes out on top today. More details in my diary <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John:<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />It sounded like you had the same sleep issue I did ... but maybe not for the same reason. I know caffeine after noon for me is a no-no. My own fault.<br /><br />There were several first-timers, and some veterans, who had set-up problems today ... particularly setting drag factor. It seemed pretty straight-forward to me ... DF was displayed on the race machines on the display when we sat down on our ergs. Pull the handle, get the DF, change the damper, change the DF, pull the handle, etc. etc. Maybe those with Cs and Ds at home thought it should have been harder to do?<br /><br />I'll check out the diary ... Mark