New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » December 10th, 2005, 10:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 10 2005, 06:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 10 2005, 06:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:<br /><br /><b><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>07:26.1</span></span></span></b><br /><br />During the Fall Series RowPro race this morning.<br /><br />Down from 07:29.8 (-3.7 seconds)<br /><br />Now, it appears, the improvements come much more slowly.<br /><br /> <br /><br />The real work begins ...<br /><br />John, now it's time for a Boddingtons ... my new favourite beverage.  We finally have those amazing cans with the pressure device.  It pours from the can as if from the tap/spigot.  Beautiful.<br /><br />Probably should wait a few hours, since it's only 8:52 a.m. here!<br /><br /> <br /><br />-- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Good job Mark

[old] johnnybike

Training

Post by [old] johnnybike » December 10th, 2005, 10:19 am

Nice one Mark, gradual improvement is best as it shows it was not a 'lucky' row but a solid one building on previous performances.

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » December 10th, 2005, 10:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Dec 10 2005, 10:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Dec 10 2005, 10:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nice one Mark, gradual improvement is best as it shows it was not a 'lucky' row but a solid one building on previous performances. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks John, although I find it hard to believe that there could be a "lucky" 2K PB. It seems one needs to go "all out" for most of the distance (at least after the first 500M to 750M) that luck would be overcome by pain! <br /><br />This is the first 2K race/test I've done where I got off the erg and said to myself that there was no way I could have gone any faster today. I feel I've reached the performance limit of current training, and need to layer on some more aerobic base and speed work to gain incremental improvement. The slog begins!

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » December 10th, 2005, 12:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 10 2005, 01:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 10 2005, 01:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New 2K PB:<br /><br /><b><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>07:26.1</span></span></span></b><br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well done Mark, good result.

[old] johnnybike

Training

Post by [old] johnnybike » December 10th, 2005, 12:59 pm

Mark, I know I did not express myself well when I used the lucky word. What I was trying to say is that it is possible to put in an exceptional performance that you find very hard to repeat. The day when everything is 100%.<br /><br />The small but steady improvements are an indication that the baseline is moving in the right direction and at a steady speed.<br /><br />I want little 2 second PBs I don't want to knock 20 seconds off my time and then struugle to ever repeat that<br /><br />Cocked up today. Chris Davis from the UK forum came round and I we both managed new 5K PBs. My cockup was that it was a 4 second improve not a 2 second one <br /><br />5K 18:43.1 27spm 1:52.3

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » December 10th, 2005, 1:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Dec 10 2005, 12:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Dec 10 2005, 12:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mark, I know I did not express myself well when I used the lucky word. What I was trying to say is that it is possible to put in an exceptional performance that you find very hard to repeat. The day when everything is 100%.<br /><br />The small but steady improvements are an indication that the baseline is moving in the right direction and at a steady speed.<br /><br />I want little 2 second PBs I don't want to knock 20 seconds off my time and then struugle to ever repeat that<br /><br />Cocked up today. Chris Davis from the UK forum came round and I we both managed new 5K PBs. My cockup was that it was a 4 second improve not a 2 second one  <br /><br />5K 18:43.1 27spm 1:52.3 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><b><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'>Congrats John on the new 5K PB.</span></span></span></b><br /><br />I took no offense from the "luck" remark. My comment was more that I doubt I would ever have a hugely improved "lucky" PB because what I did today took it all ... though there are days when one feels "in the zone".<br /><br />I do agree with the small, incremental progress approach. I'd hate to knock one out of the park and then spend months (or years) trying to do it again, or beat it.<br /><br />Like last weekend, I did a second row just now, about 4 hours later, and tried for a 5K PB. Unlike last weekend, when I got a new 2K PB and a new 6K PB in the same day, I hit the 2500M mark and knew it just wasn't going to happen. It would have been my first 5K under 2:00 pace, but I'm not unhappy. It just tells me I didn't leave much in the tank with the race this morning. Could also have been contributed to by the 15K continuous I did yesterday, which was my second longest continuous row behind last weekend's HM.<br /><br />It's great to be even attempting 2 PBs in one day ... I'm still pleased. <i><u><b>Now </b></u></i>it's time for a beer!

[old] eyespliced

Training

Post by [old] eyespliced » December 10th, 2005, 11:40 pm

w00t!!!! i did it sub 7:00<br />6:57.6/2k or 1:44.4/500m<br />and that was after two previous 2k's (1st was 1:50.1 other was 1:48.0 both of those were because my coach wanted me to be +5 and +3 to my previous PR)(which was 1:45.8)<br />next one i am sure I will do better, as I was a bit tired going into my last 2k<br />

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » December 11th, 2005, 12:32 am

New PB also PW, since it is an only. I lost my head today and went for a half marathon - 1:35:37.1, not much by general standards, but reasonable for M 80+. I think that I'll take a raincheck on the full whammy for a couple of months - at least until the 2k season is over.<br /><br />Splits: 2:20.6, 2:14.2, 2:14.2, 2:15.8, and 2:14.7. Ave. 2:15.9. The average rate for the first split was 21 spm and after that it was 24 spm for the remainder of the piece.<br /><br />I didn't want to spend any more time on the seat than was neccessary, so instead of doing a separate 15' warmup, I incorporated the first 12' of my warmup into the piece - 3' each at 15, 18, 20, and 22 spm, then went into a steady 24 spm for the duration. I followed it by a longer cooldown than usual, 10' instead of 5' at 12 spm.<br /><br />Bob S.<br />

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » December 11th, 2005, 5:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Dec 10 2005, 11:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Dec 10 2005, 11:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New PB also PW, since it is an only. I lost my head today and went for a half marathon - 1:35:37.1, not much by general standards, but reasonable for M 80+. I think that I'll take a raincheck on the full whammy for a couple of months - at least until the 2k season is over.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations!<br />We all believe you but why not have these rows verified if they are world records.<br />Can you get to a gym with a rower?

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » December 11th, 2005, 7:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Dec 11 2005, 02:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Dec 11 2005, 02:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Dec 10 2005, 11:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Dec 10 2005, 11:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New PB also PW, since it is an only. I lost my head today and went for a half marathon - 1:35:37.1, not much by general standards, but reasonable for M 80+. I think that I'll take a raincheck on the full whammy for a couple of months - at least until the 2k season is over.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations!<br />We all believe you but why not have these rows verified if they are world records.<br />Can you get to a gym with a rower? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />In my Forum message I didn't claim this as a world record, just a "Personal Best/Personal Worst" (since it is my only 1/2 Marathon). I happen to believe that it is, but I realize that there might be others that have done it who are not in the habit of reporting their results.<br /><br />You are right that it falls short of the rules, since it is not on a machine with public access, not witnessed, and I did't have verification of my weight. However, I doubt that there is another C2 Indoor Rower within 180 miles of where I live, let alone one with public access. It is possible that there is a spa with one in Mammoth Lakes (over 50 miles away) but that is another 3000 ft higher than the elevation here at home (4000 ft). My best 2k time here on my own Model B was 8:27.5 on November 26, 2005. One week later, I did it in Copenhagen at an official 8:05.6. No, it was not the effect of the crowd - if anything, I find that distracting. I generally do better alone. The non 2k records are just numbers anyway. The only currently recognized distance/time is the 2k. To do a qualification time for that, I had to drive 300 miles each way to Xeno's Iron Oarsman and back. Physically, the two long drives were much harder on me than the 2k time trail. The 10 hour London to Los Angeles flight a week later was even harder (middle seat of five). And, of course, that trip involved another couple of 300 mile drives, as well as three other flights which were shorter than the Heathrow/LAX run.<br /><br />Bob S. <br />

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » December 11th, 2005, 8:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-eyespliced+Dec 10 2005, 11:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(eyespliced @ Dec 10 2005, 11:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->w00t!!!! i did it sub 7:00<br />6:57.6/2k or 1:44.4/500m<br />and that was after two previous 2k's (1st was 1:50.1 other was 1:48.0  both of those were because my coach wanted me to be +5 and +3 to my previous PR)(which was 1:45.8)<br />next one i am sure I will do better,  as I was a bit tired going into my last 2k <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Eyespliced:<br /><br />Sweet! congrats on the new PB and breaking 7:00! Sounds like you had plenty of warm-up ... maybe more than you needed!<br /><br />Regards -- Mark

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » December 11th, 2005, 8:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Dec 11 2005, 12:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Dec 11 2005, 12:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->New PB also PW, since it is an only. I lost my head today and went for a half marathon - 1:35:37.1, not much by general standards, but reasonable for M 80+. I think that I'll take a raincheck on the full whammy for a couple of months - at least until the 2k season is over.<br /><br />Splits: 2:20.6, 2:14.2, 2:14.2, 2:15.8, and 2:14.7. Ave. 2:15.9. The average rate for the first split was 21 spm and after that it was 24 spm for the remainder of the piece.<br /><br />I didn't want to spend any more time on the seat than was neccessary, so instead of doing a separate 15' warmup, I incorporated the first 12' of my warmup into the piece - 3' each at 15, 18, 20, and 22 spm, then went into a steady 24 spm for the duration. I followed it by a longer cooldown than usual, 10' instead of 5' at 12 spm.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Bob:<br /><br />Nice row!<br /><br />I am over 30 years your junior, and my PB/PW for the HM is 1:48:45.5 from last Sunday. Halfway through, as the lower back seized up, I thought, "What was I thinking?"<br /><br />I won't use your benefit of more wisdom and more experience (than me) as an excuse (a la Ronald Reagan) and will vouch that you're clearly in better condition than I.<br /><br />Congratulations!<br /><br />Regards -- Mark

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » December 11th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Congratulations to Mark, Johnny, Bob and Eyespliced for the PBs yesterday. <br /><br />I didn't think I was going to be one of those people that leaves themselves short, but a new PB in the 2k in todays online race: 7:01.0. I somehow missed the start, losing maybe half a second, and then was too slow over the first 1000k, giving up 3-4 secs that I just couldn't get back down the stretch. But this is still 10 secs faster than my last all out 2k, when I was 25lbs heavier and 2 years younger. I haven't done any speed work this fall, instead working on technique and pacing and my recovery, so I should be faster for the crash-bs.<br /><br />My goal in making lightweight was to make the top 10%, and as of today, at least I did that. People are constantly adding rows (congrats to Yukon John for his row yesterday), and by the end of the season I will drop down quite a bit, but nice to see that today anyway (Jeff is still to come too in the rankings). Thanks to Frank for the races, everyone for the support and challenge, and PaulS for the coaching.<br /><br />Next up: what to have for Dinner? (Hmmm, a cheeseburger with fries and a cold beer, or a nice thick steak....)

[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » December 11th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Micheal,<br />Well done. Sub-7 anytime soon!!!

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » December 11th, 2005, 12:50 pm

Michael:<br /><br />Congratulations on a massive new PB. Sub-7 for sure ... and soon!<br /><br />Regards -- Mark