New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » October 3rd, 2005, 1:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Hendrie+Oct 2 2005, 08:13 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Hendrie @ Oct 2 2005, 08:13 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is not a PB category which is often addressed but this week I reached the 19 million meter mark. This one is especially significant for me as I did this last million in 71 days, beating my old personal best by 11 days. My previous best was the 4 million mark back in 1998 which I accomplished in 82 days. <br /><br />john hendrie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations!<br />That is a fast 1 Mm as well as quite a lifetime total.<br /><br />David<br />

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 6th, 2005, 4:05 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Hendrie+Oct 2 2005, 03:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Hendrie @ Oct 2 2005, 03:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is not a PB category which is often addressed but this week I reached the 19 million meter mark. This one is especially significant for me as I did this last million in 71 days, beating my old personal best by 11 days. My previous best was the 4 million mark back in 1998 which I accomplished in 82 days. <br /><br />john hendrie <br /> </td></tr></table><br />19 Million meters and the last million in 71 days (14085 m. average!). That's very good; you must be in a very good condition!!<br /><br />Hennie

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 8th, 2005, 5:36 am

New PB on the 2000m.: 6:44,0 m. (was 6:48,2) <br /><br />I set this new PB in the 3 X 2k. race with Roland (he is very fast), Andreas (also very fast) and Pieter (and again a fast rower). It was a shame that Polaco had 'engine' trouble and could not race (hope you have a new cable and everything is working again). To row with this fellows is very motivating! <br /><br />Quote "Don't think, don't quit and just row as hard as you can!!" (Thanks to Pieter) <br /><br />Hennie

[old] CAROLE MAC

Training

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » October 8th, 2005, 11:08 am

oh hennie fantastic ...... all those metres are now starting to pay off ...

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 9th, 2005, 5:44 am

Today in the 5k. handicaprace a new pb: 17:33,1 <br /><br />Thanks for the advice Jaap.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] Polaco

Training

Post by [old] Polaco » October 9th, 2005, 11:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Oct 8 2005, 04:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Oct 8 2005, 04:36 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It was a shame that Polaco had 'engine' trouble and could not race (hope you have a new cable and everything is working again). [right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yeah Hennie.. I don't think that it's a cable problem, looks more to be a USB port problem of the PM3. It was a shame because I think that if we have the opportunity of rowing 'boat to boat' we both will go down of 6:44. I finished that serie at 6:49. <br /><br /> I don't think that by next Saturday I will have the problem solved but let's see if the next one we can race together and make a double PB <br /><br />Cheers!!<br /><br />P.S. aaahh!!! and congratulations for your new 5K PB

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » October 9th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Since my personal best times and distances (2k, 30,’ and 60’) where made a decade ago at ages 70 and 71, there is no way that I am ever going to beat them. The only PBs (or firsts?) I can get would be for the other (6?) ranked events. For a couple of years after that, I noticed that I seemed to be adding about 5”/500m for each year. Then it accelerated and I eventually found out that I had a stenosis of my aortic valve that was gradually getting worse with the years. That, too, started to accelerate and, after an angiogram, I was told that I had a 90% blockage of my LAD, despite the fact that my cholesterol was only in the 160s and I was asymptomatic. Later, a biologist pointed out that the faulty valve was likely producing an eddy current that caused a build up (makes me think of a silt deposit) at the first branch – exactly where my problem was. I was urged to have the artery bypass done immediately and the valve replaced while they were at it. I was reluctant to do it, so I went for a second opinion from a rowing cardiologist. He felt that the arteries were not all that bad, since they were larger than normal. Then he gave me a stress test. I failed it miserably. When my pulse went up, my blood pressure plummeted. The artery may have been good for a while longer, but that valve had to go. My own take on this is that the calcified valve flaps were too sluggish and couldn’t keep up with a fast pulse. They didn’t close in time and keep the downstream pressure up. By the end of July, I had a new “mosaic porcine tissue aortic valve” and some supplemental plumbing. We had just moved to a remote area, so I was on my own as far as rehab was concerned. I just went at it “poco a poco” and 18 months afterwards I qualified for a free California to Boston flight.<br /><br />Now I date any PBs from the date of the surgery. I figure that I can call whatever the pig and I do “post-op PBs.” Last season, in addition to the winning 2k times, I posted a 500m, a 1k, a 30,’ and a pseudo 60’ (59:59 on a PM1). It turned out that these were all best of category for the season and, all but the 60’ were best of season for hwt M 80+ as well. This season, I took up the Dev Sq training program to see what it could do and for the first couple of months I was doing nothing but non-ranked events, 10’ and 20’ pieces. I did slip in a 59:59 piece in place of a set of 3X20’ pieces and was pleased to add a lot of meters to my distance of last season. The new program for October includes 30,’ 2k, and 10k pieces, so now I have a chance to check them out without varying from the scheduled workouts.<br /><br />On Friday, the program called for 2X30’ pieces and my second one was 4 meters better than last season’s. Yesterday (Saturday), it was 3k, 2k, and 1k, with these results:<br />3k 13:14.0, a rate of 2:12.3 – a faster rate than my best previous 2k rate here at home.<br />2k 8:41.5 – better by over 9 seconds than my previous best 2k rate here.<br />1k 4:12.6 – this was a second slower than my last season’s 1k, but since I was taking only 6-7 minutes rest between pieces, I was happy enough with the result.<br /><br />No doubt there is at least one and maybe more on this forum that would say that none of my postings are valid, since I am using modified rather than original “equipment.” I really don’t give a hoot what they might say, but I am willing to share credit with the pig.<br /><br />Bob S.<br />

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 9th, 2005, 4:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Oct 9 2005, 10:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Oct 9 2005, 10:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->No doubt there is at least one and maybe more on this forum that would say that none of my postings are valid, since I am using modified rather than original “equipment.” I really don’t give a hoot what they might say, but I am willing to share credit with the pig.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hallo Bob,<br /><br />Congratulations with all your new pb's. To me all your pb's are valid <br /><br />Hennie

[old] GutBustin'

Training

Post by [old] GutBustin' » October 13th, 2005, 8:56 pm

hi Bob,<br />I really enjoyed reading your post on your achievements. Much respect.<br /><br />I hit a big PB today of 7495 metres for 30 minutes.<br />I know, I know, I know - "duh, GutBustin', if you wanna bust that gut, why didnya bust 7500?"<br />I tried!! Was just too worried about blowin' up so took it too steady at some points.<br />GB

[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » October 13th, 2005, 9:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Oct 9 2005, 03:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Oct 9 2005, 03:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->No doubt there is at least one and maybe more on this forum that would say that none of my postings are valid, since I am using modified rather than original “equipment.” I really don’t give a hoot what they might say, but I am willing to share credit with the pig.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Congrats on your PB's Bob, that's great inspiration for all of us here. You've overcome a huge obstacle and earned yourself a load of respect at the same time.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Mark<br /><br />P.S. I admire your energy, you remind me of my uncle that I work (farm) with on a daily basis. He turned 82 this past April but could outwork over half of the 28 year olds I know.

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » October 14th, 2005, 5:16 am

Sub 19 5K<br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>New PB 18:51.8 (-9.5secs)</span></span><br /><br />Details in weblog,

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 14th, 2005, 5:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Oct 14 2005, 11:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Oct 14 2005, 11:16 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sub 19 5K<br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>New PB  18:51.8  (-9.5secs)</span></span><br /><br />Details in weblog, <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Well done Dougie that is a major improvement <19 <br /><br />Hennie

[old] hennmart

Training

Post by [old] hennmart » October 15th, 2005, 5:53 am

Today in a great RowPro Race with Jaime and Pieter (3 times 2K.) I had a new PB:<br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>6:38,9 (was 6:44,0) </span></span><br /><br />I can use this progression for the upcoming BIRC were I and Pieter want to go to.<br /><br />Jaime had two PB's one in the first race and the second race a new one: Congratulations Jaime.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] Polaco

Training

Post by [old] Polaco » October 15th, 2005, 6:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Oct 15 2005, 04:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Oct 15 2005, 04:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today in a great RowPro Race with Jaime and Pieter (3 times 2K.) I had a new PB:<br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>6:38,9  (was 6:44,0)  </span></span><br /><br />I can use this progression for the upcoming BIRC were I and Pieter want to go to.<br /><br />Jaime had two PB's one in the first race and the second race a new one: Congratulations Jaime.<br /><br />Hennie  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks Hennie and congratulations again. But I only had one during the first race <br /><br /><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>6:43.5</span></span></span><br /><br /><br />just 1.5 seconds from my previous PB (6:45.0) but I'm very happy because I'm at the beginning of my season...<br /><br />Hennie, remember our deal for may, you have to be my rabbit doing 6:29 in order I could make 6:30, right?? <br /><br />Cheers

[old] ancho

Training

Post by [old] ancho » October 15th, 2005, 10:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Polaco+Oct 15 2005, 11:01 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Polaco @ Oct 15 2005, 11:01 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Oct 15 2005, 04:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Oct 15 2005, 04:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today in a great RowPro Race with Jaime and Pieter (3 times 2K.) I had a new PB:<br /><br /><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>6:38,9  (was 6:44,0)  </span></span><br /><br />I can use this progression for the upcoming BIRC were I and Pieter want to go to.<br /><br />Jaime had two PB's one in the first race and the second race a new one: Congratulations Jaime.<br /><br />Hennie  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks Hennie and congratulations again. But I only had one during the first race <br /><br /><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>6:43.5</span></span></span><br /><br /><br />just 1.5 seconds from my previous PB (6:45.0) but I'm very happy because I'm at the beginning of my season...<br /><br />Hennie, remember our deal for may, you have to be my rabbit doing 6:29 in order I could make 6:30, right?? <br /><br />Cheers <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hennie and Polaco:<br />Congrats, you are starting to become really fast.<br />Will have to go for a 2k one of these days, and see if I can get somewhere near you!<br />