How to delete workouts on PM5 when not using usb?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
blutow
Paddler

How to delete workouts on PM5 when not using usb?

Post by blutow » October 18th, 2024, 7:52 pm

I just bought a used C2 rowerg and can't figure out how to delete the workout history on the machine. I looked at the PM5 manual and it shows how to delete workouts that are stored on a USB drive, but I didn't see a way to clear memory when not using a usb. I got set up on ergdate and logbook, so maybe I shouldn't even care about the workout history on the PM5, but I just figured there must be a way to do it. I thought about doing a factory reset, but didn't want to screw anything up since it all seems to be working well. Thanks.

Tsnor
10k Poster

Re: How to delete workouts on PM5 when not using usb?

Post by Tsnor » October 18th, 2024, 8:21 pm

Welcome to the community. Before you do anything put new batteries in the PM5. I'd stick with 10 year major brand alkaline. Resetting/deleting on weak batteries is no fun.

You can use the Concept2 Utility. C2 Utility will delete individual workouts or all of them. It needs windows or mac computer and a USB printer cable. Install via https://www.concept2.com/support/software/utility then see https://www.concept2.com/support/softwa ... how-to-use and see the section on deleting workouts. If you use C2 utility then also update firmware while you are there (put in the new batteries first). Else when you use ergdata you'll get prompted for firmware update over bluetooth.

You are correct, reset will fix this. That's what I'd do on an unknown PM5. Reset should also be easier than C2 Utility. The hard reset will get rid of lifetime km rowed by previous owners too, so if you care to know how many total km on the erg write the current lifetime km down somewhere. Factory reset is pretty safe.

Hard Factory Reset https://www.concept2.co.uk/service/moni ... %20buttons.
Method 1
Hold down the Units and Display buttons and use a paperclip to depress and release the "Reset" button in the back of the monitor. Continue holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds or until the display flashes "Setting Factory Defaults" shows briefly. Then, release the buttons.

Method 2
Remove the battery and USB cable if attached. Hold down the Units and Display buttons. Re-install the battery. Continue holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds or until the display flashes "Setting Factory Defaults" shows briefly. Then, release the buttons.

If me I'd display lifetime meters before you hard reset. The instructions to display are on the same page as the hard reset instructions linked above.

blutow
Paddler

Post by blutow » October 18th, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thanks, all makes sense.

MPx
10k Poster

Post by MPx » October 19th, 2024, 12:32 pm

blutow wrote:
October 18th, 2024, 7:52 pm
I just bought a used C2 rowerg and can't figure out how to delete the workout history on the machine. I looked at the PM5 manual and it shows how to delete workouts that are stored on a USB drive, but I didn't see a way to clear memory when not using a usb. I got set up on ergdate and logbook, so maybe I shouldn't even care about the workout history on the PM5, but I just figured there must be a way to do it. I thought about doing a factory reset, but didn't want to screw anything up since it all seems to be working well. Thanks.
For junking all previous history, reset is clearly the easiest. But I sometimes have younger generations of the wider family sit on the erg when they visit and I see a few random pieces on the PM5 that clealry wasn't me. To junk them, but keep all of mine(!), I use the USB drive trick. Stick in the USB and wait for it to be recognised and select USB logbook when prompted. Then Logbook utilities, then Move workout - which moves the workout off the PM5 and onto the USB Stick. I move all the workouts I [dont] want (one at a time can be a bit slow!) and then once they're in the USB log then the Delete workout option will get rid of it off the USB, so they no longer appear anywhere.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » October 19th, 2024, 1:55 pm

MPx wrote:
October 19th, 2024, 12:32 pm
For junking all previous history, reset is clearly the easiest. But I sometimes have younger generations of the wider family sit on the erg when they visit and I see a few random pieces on the PM5 that clealry wasn't me. To junk them, but keep all of mine(!), I use the USB drive trick. Stick in the USB and wait for it to be recognised and select USB logbook when prompted. Then Logbook utilities, then Move workout - which moves the workout off the PM5 and onto the USB Stick. I move all the workouts I [dont] want (one at a time can be a bit slow!) and then once they're in the USB log then the Delete workout option will get rid of it off the USB, so they no longer appear anywhere.
That won't work on the most modern PM5s as the no-longer have a USB-A socket on the back. You can't use a USB stick.

MPx
10k Poster

Post by MPx » October 19th, 2024, 2:46 pm

Ah yes...I was told that just yesterday and have failed to heed by today. Oh dear! This age thing affects more than physical performance dunnit?!?!
Mike - 67 HWT 183

blutow
Paddler

Post by blutow » October 21st, 2024, 11:56 am

MPx wrote:
October 19th, 2024, 12:32 pm
To junk them, but keep all of mine(!), I use the USB drive trick. Stick in the USB and wait for it to be recognised and select USB logbook when prompted. Then Logbook utilities, then Move workout - which moves the workout off the PM5 and onto the USB Stick. I move all the workouts I [dont] want (one at a time can be a bit slow!) and then once they're in the USB log then the Delete workout option will get rid of it off the USB, so they no longer appear anywhere.
Finally got to this today and used the USB trick. There were only ~35 workouts on the machine from the previous owner, so it went pretty quick. Only issue I saw was that monthly totals still showed the old workout volume, but no big deal. Using logbook, I'm not sure I'll ever be looking elsewhere anyway.
Citroen wrote:
October 19th, 2024, 1:55 pm
That won't work on the most modern PM5s as the no-longer have a USB-A socket on the back. You can't use a USB stick.
The build date on my erg was April of this year, but it still has the older style with the USB-A slot. And if I look at the "product ID" screen on the PM5, it shows a datecode of 3172023, so that's over a year older than the date on the erg. Surprised to see such a big date swing between PM5 and Erg if those are both manufacturing dates. Maybe not the original PM5 or they just build the PM5's in bulk and it might be a year before they make it on a machine.

Thanks everyone for the help, now I just need to figure out some connection issues w/ergdata on my wife's android phone. It's working fine on my iPhone.

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » October 21st, 2024, 12:28 pm

blutow wrote:
October 21st, 2024, 11:56 am
...now I just need to figure out some connection issues w/ergdata on my wife's android phone. It's working fine on my iPhone.
Bluetooth needs "location" permission to function on android (because any software that has bluetooth permission can discover your location.)

Ergdata gets cranky if you let the phone connect to the PM5. If you look in Android's bluetooth devices and see the pm5 tell android to 'forget' the connection. Next time you start ergdata it'll make its own connection.

Also, PM5 will keep a bluetooth connection going long after a workout stops. Timeout doesn't seem to power down the pm5 as long as the connected phone remains in bluetooth range. That kills the battery in the PM5, and sometimes gets people's workouts recorded in the wrong phone. Make sure you power down the pm5 each time you finish a workout (hit menu slowly 4 times from main screen, when backlight and display disappear your pm5 is off). You can also use NFC to ensure your phone is hosting the ergdata currently connected when you start a workout.

blutow
Paddler

Post by blutow » October 21st, 2024, 1:06 pm

Tsnor wrote:
October 21st, 2024, 12:28 pm
blutow wrote:
October 21st, 2024, 11:56 am
...now I just need to figure out some connection issues w/ergdata on my wife's android phone. It's working fine on my iPhone.
Bluetooth needs "location" permission to function on android (because any software that has bluetooth permission can discover your location.)

Ergdata gets cranky if you let the phone connect to the PM5. If you look in Android's bluetooth devices and see the pm5 tell android to 'forget' the connection. Next time you start ergdata it'll make its own connection.

Also, PM5 will keep a bluetooth connection going long after a workout stops. Timeout doesn't seem to power down the pm5 as long as the connected phone remains in bluetooth range. That kills the battery in the PM5, and sometimes gets people's workouts recorded in the wrong phone. Make sure you power down the pm5 each time you finish a workout (hit menu slowly 4 times from main screen, when backlight and display disappear your pm5 is off). You can also use NFC to ensure your phone is hosting the ergdata currently connected when you start a workout.
Thanks, got it working. Needed some patience. My iPhone connects in a second or two, the android seems to take about 15-20 seconds. Knocked out my first 5k at a humbling pace (but very focused on form for the first 4500), love this thing.