Best seat pad?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
HornetMaX
5k Poster

Re: Best seat pad?

Post by HornetMaX » October 5th, 2024, 6:24 am

Dino wrote:
October 4th, 2024, 6:39 pm
In the boats I use for OTW rowing, the seats have zero padding, mostly CF or wood if older, with cut outs.
That's more or less the shape of the Citius Remex.

After the ones I tried, I'm sort of convinced it's more a matter of shape than of padding, stiffness, tickness etc.
1973, 173cm (5'8"), LW, started rowing Sep 2021 (after 10 years of being a couch potato), c2 log
RowErg PBs:

p_b82
5k Poster

Post by p_b82 » October 5th, 2024, 7:18 am

I use two pads, and raise my feet up a notch to mitigate the higher bum height.

bottom layer is this one:
https://www.crewroom.co.uk/products/crewroom-seat-pad

Then top layer is the C2 jobber.

for me the main issue is pinching of my nerve around my sit bones, not pain in the glutes themselves - it causes my foot to go numb and then transfer up the leg (right one only). If I get it wrong it takes about 20 mins to become extremely uncomfortable - made worse with any over-compression at the catch too.

Taking proper care to get myself seated at the catch in regards to sit bones and the cutouts and this solves it almost entirely - but I have to be very careful not to put myself in a weak position being sat on my tailbone too much at the finish; that causes me lower back pain.

So I always take a little time getting myself seated "right" and not just getting on and going for it.

On anything longer than 90mins I do start to get sore glutes, but that's acceptable/understandable and a quick stretch solves things. (also helps me reset my posture)

re the shirt/rollers issue that this took this OT for a while - I'm in the camp that it's not an issue that needs to be solved by the machine/manufacturer. It is so ridiculously easy to just wear more appropriate upper clothing - EG not so long it hangs down below the seat.
M 6'4 born:'82
PB's
'23: 6k=25:23.5, HM=1:36:08.0, 60'=13,702m
'24: 500m=1:37.7, 2k=7:44.80, 5k=20:42.9, 10k=42:13.1, FM=3:18:35.4, 30'=7,132m
Logbook

alex9026
2k Poster

Post by alex9026 » October 5th, 2024, 9:35 am

p_b82 wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 7:18 am
for me the main issue is pinching of my nerve around my sit bones, not pain in the glutes themselves - it causes my foot to go numb and then transfer up the leg (right one only). If I get it wrong it takes about 20 mins to become extremely uncomfortable - made worse with any over-compression at the catch too.
Interesting... I've had this exact same issue in my foot, which I feel could be nerve related. Doesn't always happen, but I blimin know about it when it does, have cut a few sessions short as a result. Must admit, I don't pay too much attention to how I sit, I do just get on and row.

Dangerscouse wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 1:24 am
I'm biased with Home Bargsins. It's a Liverpool based business, that is probably nationwide now but not international. I was friends with the owner's daughter when I was younger
A big fan of Home Bargains!
34 6'2 89kg
1min 368 500m 1:26 2k 6:24 5k 17:27

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » October 5th, 2024, 12:49 pm

p_b82 wrote:
re the shirt/rollers issue that this took this OT for a while - I'm in the camp that it's not an issue that needs to be solved by the machine/manufacturer. It is so ridiculously easy to just wear more appropriate upper clothing - EG not so long it hangs down below the seat.
Off topic? It is directly related to seat problems being discussed here.
Fifteen people have posted on this thread. Two have reported getting clothing jammed under the seat roller (I and Alex9026). That is about 13% of the posters here. If a similar percentage of users in the big wide world have experienced this, it translates into thousands of people.

It is an obvious design flaw. On an exercise machine you should not be required to choose your clothes carefully to avoid getting caught in the machinery, particularly when it is such an easy thing for Concept 2 to fix - a simple, up turned U-shaped structure extending a few inches out from the rear of the seat. It would be easy to manufacture and add only a few dollars to the cost of the unit. It would allow users to wear what they please, rather than what this design flaw forces them to wear.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » October 5th, 2024, 2:23 pm

Slidewinder wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 12:49 pm
p_b82 wrote:
Off topic? It is directly related to seat problems being discussed here.
Fifteen people have posted on this thread. Two have reported getting clothing jammed under the seat roller (I and Alex9026). That is about 13% of the posters here. If a similar percentage of users in the big wide world have experienced this, it translates into thousands of people.
With all due respect, to extrapolate 13% from this amount of people is wildly presumptive, not least because you're literally the only two people I've ever heard of having this issue. Admittedly I've never asked, but if it was 13% of the erging population, I'd definitely have heard quite a lot of people moan about it, or at least mention it looking for a solution.

Also by coincidence I wore a basketball vest this morning to row. It's an XL, and in US sizing I can fit into a M, this vest also has a +2 length, i.e., the back of the already notably long vest is two inches longer than the front. This is now circa eight inches lower than my hips. I had no issue whatsoever during my HM session, yet this would have been easily within the parameters of your suggestion that all long and baggy tops are a health hazard on an erg.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » October 5th, 2024, 6:51 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 2:23 pm
With all due respect, to extrapolate 13% from this amount of people is wildly presumptive, not least because you're literally the only two people I've ever heard of having this issue. Admittedly I've never asked, but if it was 13% of the erging population, I'd definitely have heard quite a lot of people moan about it, or at least mention it looking for a solution.
Tecnically, I've had this happen with a pocho I wear when it is cold before I row (I row with fully opened windows, even in freezing conditions). As it is knee-height, I realize nothing will prevent it from being caught up and I should pay attention.

As some said earlier in this thread: sane people wear decent clothing in a gym. Cables can have torn strains, many pulleys are exposed anyways. Too long or too loose clothing isn't advised. If it would happen more often, manufacturers would react. I see all seats across all brands having the same essential design, no protection added.

In summer I wear a very thin long runner shirt, a bit oversized. Never been an issue as I tuck it in to make sure my HR monitor doesn't fall when it is released accidently. Even when I don't tuck it in, nothing happens.

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » October 5th, 2024, 6:52 pm

Slidewinder wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 12:49 pm
Two have reported getting clothing jammed under the seat roller ... It is an obvious design flaw.
Not sure why the hostility towards proper rowing clothes. Next we'll be pointing out problems with swimming in boots and winter jackets, and urging pool makers to design around them.

All the OTW boats I've ever rowed have similar seats/rollers/tracks as concept2 ergs (in all sorts of non-interchangeable sizes). Day 1 as you learn the sport you are told which clothes work and which don't. Seams on shorts - no go. Floppy shorts - no go. Tops (including winter covers) need to be tucked in or short. Cotton is a no go on a cold day - (no heat retention when wet), etc.

Tucking in long shirts works great. You only need to tuck in the tail area. Our race tank tops (made by "Boathouse" one of the big two US makers of rowing clothes) only work when tucked in. Better is finding shirts that end at the waist vs at your butt. I like nike dry fit, but there are plenty of options.

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » October 5th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Yeah, shame on concept2 designers and engineers ... I mean, what's a rowing machine if you can't row with your kilt on ?!
Totally not worth its price. Even unfit for purpose. Only sells because some fanboys ... well, buys it.
1973, 173cm (5'8"), LW, started rowing Sep 2021 (after 10 years of being a couch potato), c2 log
RowErg PBs:

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » October 6th, 2024, 3:00 am

HornetMaX wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 6:24 am
Dino wrote:
In the boats I use for OTW rowing, the seats have zero padding, mostly CF or wood if older, with cut outs.

After the ones I tried, I'm sort of convinced it's more a matter of shape than of padding, stiffness, tickness etc.
Interesting. Their website claims it helps improve posture, which is an issue for me on long (90+ mins) rows. Any experience with its effects by any chance?

winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster

Post by winniewinser » October 6th, 2024, 4:29 am

JaapvanE wrote:
October 6th, 2024, 3:00 am
HornetMaX wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 6:24 am
Dino wrote:

Interesting. Their website claims it helps improve posture, which is an issue for me on long (90+ mins) rows. Any experience with its effects by any chance?
I have a Citius and it has definitely helped me. Pelvis is raised allowing sit bones to position within the seat design. It's raised where it needs to be and lower where it should be. Solved my rubbing issues for my tailbone and also helped on comfort for longer rows.

I don't like that it can move under you on the erg seat as it doesn't attach with anything. Could use some double sided tape but then it's not as portable as I also use work gyms.

May not be for everyone but I can only recommend it based on my personal use.
6'2" 52yo
Alex
Recent 2k - 7:19
All time 2k - 6:50.2 (LW)

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » October 6th, 2024, 6:30 am

JaapvanE wrote:
October 6th, 2024, 3:00 am
The first few times I used it I had the distinct feeling of it making me more aware of "where/how I was sitting on it": things like leaning back too much, sitting with the pelvis rotated too forward (sitting on your tail bone) etc. I've read somewhere on their website the proper term for that is proprioception.

I agree that it's a bit annoying when it moves around: I only had this problem on fast paces (let's says 2K or less). As I only row at home, I solved that by fixing one of the inserts it came with to the c2 seat with double sided tape: when you put the Citius Remex on top of the insert, that's enough to keep it in place. This way you can still remove the CR (to bring it on another erg, when I go on holiday) and, if you want, you can row without it (the insert won't bother). But since I put it on (and did a few tests with/without), I never rowed without again.

BTW, I didn't find any noticeable difference between the different inserts.

As said by others, it worked for well for me, it may/may not work for you. But I'd say that if you spend time on the rower (let's say north of 3h/week) and you're currently having issues with your bum / sit bones / tail bone and maybe even lower back, it's probably worth to invest the money. Worst case, you can probably sell it second hand for little loss.
RowErg PBs:

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » October 6th, 2024, 8:02 am

HornetMaX wrote:
October 6th, 2024, 6:30 am
As said by others, it worked for well for me, it may/may not work for you. But I'd say that if you spend time on the rower (let's say north of 3h/week) and you're currently having issues with your bum / sit bones / tail bone and maybe even lower back, it's probably worth to invest the money. Worst case, you can probably sell it second hand for little loss.
Thank you and winniewinser for the great info. Their website says you can get a full refund within 50 days of trying, so I'll try this one.

As I only row at home on my own machine, putting some velcro or doublesided tape on it would be quite doable for me. Thanks again!

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » October 6th, 2024, 9:01 am

HornetMaX wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 7:21 pm
Yeah, shame on concept2 designers and engineers ... I mean, what's a rowing machine if you can't row with your kilt on ?!
Typical disregard and lack of consideration of others on display in this thread.

Not everyone who uses, or wants to use a C2 rowing ergometer, is an athlete. They do not wish to put their fleshy rolls on public display, but because of the design flaw I have described, and Concept 2's refusal to fix it, they are forced to wear a tight fitting top and suffer embarrassment.

There are others whose modesty is unrelated to their level of fitness. Certain religions consider modesty to be virtue. For adherents of those religions wearing a tight top in public would be a violation of their faith. The predominant attitude of forum members here is, "Who cares about their faith-based notions of virtue. They can wear a tight top like everyone else!"

In my own case, I just don't like the feeling of tight clothing. I never have. I wear loose fitting garments. It is a matter of personal style. If I were to put on a tight top and look in the mirror, I would say, "That person is not me."

Why should I, and people like me, and people who are embarrassed about their body, and modest people of faith, be forced to wear a tight top because Concept 2 can't be bothered to fix this simple mechanical problem?

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » October 6th, 2024, 11:36 am

Slidewinder wrote:
October 6th, 2024, 9:01 am
HornetMaX wrote:
October 5th, 2024, 7:21 pm
Typical disregard and lack of consideration of others on display in this thread.

Not everyone who uses, or wants to use a C2 rowing ergometer, is an athlete. They do not wish to put their fleshy rolls on public display, but because of the design flaw I have described, and Concept 2's refusal to fix it, they are forced to wear a tight fitting top and suffer embarrassment.

There are others whose modesty is unrelated to their level of fitness. Certain religions consider modesty to be virtue. For adherents of those religions wearing a tight top in public would be a violation of their faith. The predominant attitude of forum members here is, "Who cares about their faith-based notions of virtue. They can wear a tight top like everyone else!"

In my own case, I just don't like the feeling of tight clothing. I never have. I wear loose fitting garments. It is a matter of personal style. If I were to put on a tight top and look in the mirror, I would say, "That person is not me."

Why should I, and people like me, and people who are embarrassed about their body, and modest people of faith, be forced to wear a tight top because Concept 2 can't be bothered to fix this simple mechanical problem?
You only need to wear a shirt short enough, that's it.
Your arguments are really strange...
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » October 6th, 2024, 12:03 pm

JaapvanE wrote:
October 6th, 2024, 8:02 am
As I only row at home on my own machine, putting some velcro or doublesided tape on it would be quite doable for me. Thanks again!
BTW after my session today I tried to scientifically measure if the Citius Remex is any softer/squishier than the c2 seat: according to my calibrated measuring device (my finger), it isn't. They are just as stiff or very close to (maybe the CR is a tiny bit squishier than the c2 seat, but really it's a big maybe and if, just barely). I think it's the shape that does the trick.
RowErg PBs: