How do I assess which of these used Ergs to buy?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
noam
Paddler

How do I assess which of these used Ergs to buy?

Post by noam » July 22nd, 2024, 7:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm shopping for my first rower, and it's gonna be a used one. I'm very new to this and don't understand all the options and differences between models and computers. I don't need the newest computer as long as whatever model I get has a future upgrade path.

I'm looking at these two currently for sale:

PM3 Model C - $400 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/d/ ... 75096.html

PM3 Model D - $500 https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/d/ ... 45225.html

Obviously, I'm going to bargain that Model C seller down in price if I go with the C.

Otherwise, how should I assess these two when I go look at them? What things should I look at to determine whether the machine is in good shape?

Thanks!

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: How do I assess which of these used Ergs to buy?

Post by jamesg » July 23rd, 2024, 4:14 am

I'd go for the D. Looks newer, and will have a newer chain type, better framelock, the higher frequency signal to PM and simpler fan access for cleaning.

That said, I've a 20 year C with a recent C-type PM5 and a new flywheel ready to fit and no hope of it ever becoming impossible to use.

SEO
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » July 23rd, 2024, 7:18 am

It is tough to judge what $100 up front means to you, but over the (remaining) life of the machine it is probably insignificant.

Both are fine machines, but the D is a bit more compact, has a nicer handle, and a quieter chain. Also, the D has a charging magneto so the batteries in your PM3 will last longer.

Model C makes the statement "this is a legacy piece of equipment" more than the D, which differs from the current RowErg only in color and PM3 and (maybe) the mechanism that holds the two pieces together.

Mrmouse
Paddler

Post by Mrmouse » September 28th, 2024, 8:23 am

The Model D is newer and usually offers a smoother, quieter experience, which could make it worth the extra $100 for better durability. Both have the PM3 monitor, and while it's a bit older, you can upgrade to a PM5 down the road if needed. When checking them out, make sure the chain moves smoothly, the seat glides without bumps, and the flywheel area is clean. Also, look out for rust or wear around the footrests and handle. If the Model C is in good shape and you can get a good deal, it’s still a solid option.