Best seat pad?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Annisotropic
Paddler

Best seat pad?

Post by Annisotropic » September 25th, 2024, 11:23 am

In the last few weeks, I have found that my gluteals start to ache after about 5k - it's not a cramp, but is unpleasant enough that I end up leaning forward just before the catch, to take the weight briefly off my seat. When that stops working, I take a break then resume.

I already have a seatpad, that came with the (secondhand) machine, but it's fairly compressed in places and I'd like to replace it. Any recommendations, please? And as an aside, how often do you tend to replace your seatpad?

Thanks 🙂

MPx
10k Poster

Re: Best seat pad?

Post by MPx » September 25th, 2024, 2:48 pm

I just use the C2 deluxe seatpad from the C2 shop available in the UK for £15. Its a fairly thin pad, but works for me up to about 10k or so. For the very few longer sessions I do I just stack two pads on top of each other. Never had to replace one over many millions of meters.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 26th, 2024, 2:35 am

Simplest and cheapest thing is to try DIY solutions, from towels and sheets of bubble-wrap to various types of foam you happen to have around the house. (e.g. foam camping ground mats)

Alternatively, you could search for "Closed Cell Neoprene Foam"

An other option is get one from C2, which is what I did. Works well for me.
Last edited by Ombrax on September 26th, 2024, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster

Post by winniewinser » September 26th, 2024, 3:04 am

For me the one that solved my issues with pain and rubbing was the Citius Remex......expensive but worked for me.
6'2" 52yo
Alex
Recent 2k - 7:19
All time 2k - 6:50.2 (LW)

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » September 27th, 2024, 12:19 pm

Seat comfort is a big issue for the first year or two of rowing. Then your body adjusts and it's not as critical. YMMV, everyone's different, etc. But if you find nothing works just back off the time rowing for a week or two. Let the sore spots heal, and try again. It'll get better.

Getting shorts that work for rowing is also important. You want seams in the right place. If you are rowing at home and can wear them actual rowing shorts (trou) or equivalent are a good investment. If a guy then you can't really wear a trou at a normal gym so just try combos of boxer-brief or compression shorts under shorts until you find one that works. If a lady then trou or tights are normal in gym.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 27th, 2024, 4:29 pm

Tsnor wrote:
September 27th, 2024, 12:19 pm
If a guy then you can't really wear a trou at a normal gym
I'm a guy, and I do.

As far as the issue I'm guessing Tsnor is referring to, rowing shorts are not that different from cycling shorts, and cyclists (I come to rowing from a bicycling background) wear their shorts on rides, in the gym, and on the podium, for all to see...

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 28th, 2024, 8:27 am

The C2 seat is hard and flat and is therefore uncomfortable for most people. The "you will get used to it" argument could also be used about sleeping on a bed of nails. The other common argument is that Concept 2 deliberately made the seat hard and flat so that users could customise it with a seat pad of their choice. By this rationale a seat that is obviously of poor design becomes another example of Concept 2's design genius. As Mark Twain said, "Once a man has a reputation as an early riser, he can sleep 'til noon."

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 28th, 2024, 9:01 am

Slidewinder wrote:
September 28th, 2024, 8:27 am
The C2 seat is hard and flat
Are we talking about the same product? Neither the seat on my Model C nor the ones on the Model Es at the two gyms I use fit that description.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » September 28th, 2024, 9:05 am

This is purely my experience, but I always used to find it uncomfortable after about 40 mins of rowing, and I needed a solution when I was doing my longer distances.

I have got used to it, and now I never use any seat padding of any kind and that has been proven even when I tried to complete a 100k and had to stop at 84k. There was no butt pain issues whatsoever, so I'm an example of one, but you can definitely get used to it.

FWIW, I've never got used to supposedly comfortable cinema and theatre seats, and after about an hour I'm feeling more uncomfortable on a well padded seat than an erg. This was proven again only two days ago after circa 60 mins at the theatre.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 28th, 2024, 4:34 pm

Ombrax wrote:
September 28th, 2024, 9:01 am
Slidewinder wrote:
September 28th, 2024, 8:27 am
The C2 seat is hard and flat
Are we talking about the same product? Neither the seat on my Model C nor the ones on the Model Es at the two gyms I use fit that description.
Same seat, and you are correct, it is not hard and flat like a steel plate, but to the average bum it is hard and flat.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 29th, 2024, 3:16 am

Random comment:

The first time I ever tried a Brooks "Swift" leather saddle on my bike, before actually sitting on it, I thought to myself "there's no way this is going to work, it's way too hard" but after a few miles I had to admit that it was indeed more comfortable that I could ever have predicted.

Rowan McSheen
2k Poster

Post by Rowan McSheen » September 29th, 2024, 3:41 am

A small towel, folded over.
Stu 5' 9" 165 lb/75 kg (give or take a couple) born 1960

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » September 30th, 2024, 4:18 am

Rowan McSheen wrote:
September 29th, 2024, 3:41 am
I used to do this until one day somehow it unravelled, caught in the rollers and unceremoniously dumped me painfully on rail behind the seat when doing a "sprint finish". I use the standard UK seatpad (I think this is the "deluxe?") and didn't have an issue with this on 111,111m.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

reevio
Paddler

Post by reevio » September 30th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Rowan McSheen wrote:
I have a small hand towel thing that was given out at a Tough Mudder running event about 10 years ago. Fits the C2 seat pretty perfectly and is prob as helpful for sweat soaking than comfort.
1k: 3:38 | 2k: 7:23.1 | 5k: 19:29.6 | 10k: 40:36.6 | HM: 1:31:04.7 | FM: 3:26:48.4 | C2 log

https://ergraces.pressthe8.com/

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » October 1st, 2024, 11:58 am

iain wrote:
September 30th, 2024, 4:18 am
Rowan McSheen wrote:
I used to do this until one day somehow it unravelled, caught in the rollers and unceremoniously dumped me painfully on rail behind the seat
Your experience with the loose towel is exactly what can happen if the user wears a loose shirt on the C2 rower. The tail of the shirt can get caught under the rear seat rollers, with a real possibility of the user tumbling backwards and sustaining a serious injury when his or her head strikes the rail or the floor.

To eliminate this risk I years ago built and installed a simple tubular structure that extends a few inches from the rear of the seat, thereby catching the tail of one's shirt and keeping it clear of the seat rollers. At the time I uploaded a video demonstrating the simplicity and effectiveness of this solution. A typical response was, "Ha,ha. Just wear a tight top!" Well, some people are modest and do not wish to wear a tight top. Also, it is a rowing machine, not a punch press. There should be no need to wear protective clothing while using exercise equipment. On a rowing ergometer, on any exercise machine, a person should be able to wear loose clothing without the danger of getting their clothing caught in the machinery. It is an inexcusable design flaw.

At the same time, when I installed the above described seat guard, I replaced the seat with a far superior seat salvaged from an old cheap piston-style rower. If that unknown manufacturer of that junk rower can design a better seat, then so can Concept 2. This too is an inexcusable design flaw.