Concept2 Rankings

Post bug reports or anomolous operation here
Dave Neve
Paddler

Concept2 Rankings

Post by Dave Neve » September 23rd, 2024, 5:34 pm

Hello everyone :)

This post is about the Concept2 Rankings website at https://log.concept2.com/rankings/

I've noted this problem before but this time they have not reacted or replied to me.

Take the Mens 2025 2000m RowErg Rankings for instance.

The first two times (fastest) are 0:00.1 and 0:00.5 !!! (the third fastest time is verified at 5:57.3)
The last time (slowest) is 7:36:09.0 !!! (the second slowest time is verified at 22:13.9)

I understand that Concept2 cannot verify unverified performances of course, but how someone checking the fastest and slowest times at least to delete such errors, whether by accident or deliberate.

These impossible times can completely warp the average time for each distance if present. :shock:

What do you think?
DOB: 08/12/1958
Weight: Around 87 kg
Regular gym goer.
Best distance ever: 7601m in 30 m, 10,000 m in 42m15s
Ex-squash player and regular cyclist on all terrain bike

MPx
10k Poster

Re: Concept2 Rankings

Post by MPx » September 23rd, 2024, 6:31 pm

The log books operate on an honesty basis and anyone can input any numbers they want. Its always disappointing to see erroneous entries and simply anti-social that some people choose to corrupt. But I suspect C2 people are just way too busy with their day jobs to monitor what gets input, and are unlikely to even prioritise corrections needed once the errors have been pointed out to them. Having said that, I've mostly found them responsive (on the ranking@ address) to situations where I've alerted them to likely errors. What they won't typically do is steam roller in however obvious it seems to us. They will try to make contact with the person with the suspect log entry and try to understand if the person agrees its an error. If the person doesn't respond (and they'll be give quite some time) or error is not admitted, they are likely to let it stand unless its simply not possible. More corrections happen towards the end of the season - duplicate entries are common, with the same piece taking two positions instead of one as race times are uploaded individually and by race organisers.

Overall I think its helpful to point out the obvious errors and ask for updates to be made - hopefully they'll be able to sort out most of them, but maybe not as quickly as we'd like.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 24th, 2024, 1:14 am

Dave Neve wrote:
September 23rd, 2024, 5:34 pm
I understand that Concept2 cannot verify unverified performances of course, but how someone checking the fastest and slowest times at least to delete such errors, whether by accident or deliberate.
As Mpx said: the unverified rows can contain a lot of noise. Sometimes people don't even realize they done it. EXR had some moment of insanity where they weight-corrected times, including the ones coming from a C2. So on their leaderboards we saw multiple world records being broken, and the auto upload will make sure that mess will hit C2's leaderboards as well.

I always watch the leaderboards with the verified results only.

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » October 3rd, 2024, 5:54 am

JaapvanE wrote:
September 24th, 2024, 1:14 am
I always watch the leaderboards with the verified results only.
Same for me.
1973, 173cm (5'8"), LW, started rowing Sep 2021 (after 10 years of being a couch potato), c2 log
RowErg PBs: