Bantam sculls

Here's the place if you've got something to ask about the world's best, and bestselling, oars.
Slidewinder
2k Poster

Re: Bantam sculls

Post by Slidewinder » September 22nd, 2024, 9:07 am

jamesg wrote:
September 22nd, 2024, 2:47 am
it doesn't matter how wonderful are the C2 sculling oars. I won't be buying them.
That's a well-known strategy, with a well-known mirror.

However I'd guess a wherry might require lower gearing than a racing shell anyway.
Strategy? Mirror? Please explain.

As for gearing: In addition to any length adjustment available in the oars, I could also increase the normal distance between the oarlock pins, because as I mentioned, I will be building the rigger. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I want something that is a pleasure to row, just as I want a bicycle that is a pleasure to ride. I own a decent bike with clip-on pedals, but I have never been part of any spandex-wearing set, and have never had any dreams of being a contender. Similarly, my OTW goals do not include getting from one point to another faster than my last best time. I think the graceful wherry I have built will suit me fine. I can pack a lunch, maybe even throw in my fishing rod, row up the long backwater of the river, stop in a quiet cove to watch the waterfowl, then an enjoyable row back to the boathouse.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 23rd, 2024, 10:08 am

JaapvanE wrote:
September 22nd, 2024, 8:47 am
Citroen wrote:
September 15th, 2024, 6:59 am
I am NOT a C2 rep. I'm just a normal user like you are.
He stated in other threads he hates everything associated with C2 as a company.
I have made no such statement, anywhere or anytime. I have stated that, with respect to rowing ergometers, Concept 2 ran out of ideas more than thirty years ago, that the RowErg is just a Model B dressed up in a nice suit. There is nothing hateful in this observation. It is simply a fact. I have always applauded C2 for their two great innovations: vaned flywheel resistance; and the self-calibrating monitor. These were huge advances in rowing exercise technology. But they happened long, long ago.

I have owned a Model B and a Model D. I am a Concept 2 customer. Of course, both those units have been dismantled and the parts used to build two rowing ergometers the way a rowing ergometer should be built.

As for C2 oars: I was seriously considering a purchase of the Bantam sculls, but after Citroen, the site moderator deleted my inquiry about them, locked the thread, and then sent me an abusive private message, there was not a chance that I would be buying them.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 23rd, 2024, 10:08 am

JaapvanE wrote:
September 22nd, 2024, 8:47 am
Citroen wrote:
September 15th, 2024, 6:59 am
I am NOT a C2 rep. I'm just a normal user like you are.
He stated in other threads he hates everything associated with C2 as a company.
I have made no such statement, anywhere or anytime. I have stated that, with respect to rowing ergometers, Concept 2 ran out of ideas more than thirty years ago, that the RowErg is just a Model B dressed up in a nice suit. There is nothing hateful in this observation. It is simply a fact. I have always applauded C2 for their two great innovations: vaned flywheel resistance; and the self-calibrating monitor. These were huge advances in rowing exercise technology. But they happened long, long ago.

I have owned a Model B and a Model D. I am a Concept 2 customer. Of course, both those units have been dismantled and the parts used to build two rowing ergometers the way a rowing ergometer should be built.

As for C2 oars: I was seriously considering a purchase of the Bantam sculls, but after Citroen, the site moderator deleted my inquiry about them, locked the thread, and then sent me an abusive private message, there was not a chance that I would be buying them.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 23rd, 2024, 1:48 pm

Slidewinder wrote:
September 23rd, 2024, 10:08 am
There was NOTHING ABUSIVE in my private message.
Do you want to take a rest from this forum? Because you're heading for a ban with the number of lies you spread.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 23rd, 2024, 1:49 pm

Slidewinder wrote:
September 22nd, 2024, 9:07 am
As for gearing: In addition to any length adjustment available in the oars, I could also increase the normal distance between the oarlock pins, because as I mentioned, I will be building the rigger. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Since posting this I have found reference to the gearing of the wherry (Ken Bassett design) I have built. One owner, Susan Van Leuven, who wrote an excellent book on construction of woodstrip rowing craft, recommends setting the oarlock pins at approximately 63 inches apart - about 3 inches greater than the normal spread of a racing shell. So I'll use that as a design starting point - possibly at the centre of a milled slot, to enable some adjustment to my preference.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 23rd, 2024, 2:03 pm

Citroen wrote:
September 23rd, 2024, 1:48 pm
Slidewinder wrote:
September 23rd, 2024, 10:08 am
There was NOTHING ABUSIVE in my private message.
Do you want to take a rest from this forum? Because you're heading for a ban with the number of lies you spread.
You are the face of Concept 2 on this forum. I was a potential buyer of the C2 Bantam sculls. After making a courteous inquiry of another forum member about them you sent me a private message accusing me of "annoying anyone and everyone". I call that abusive. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go through with a C2 purchase after receiving such treatment.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 23rd, 2024, 2:27 pm

Citroen wrote:
September 23rd, 2024, 1:48 pm
... you're heading for a ban with the number of lies you spread.
I do not lie. I notice you have not threatened to ban JaapvanE for his lie about non-existent statements he claims I have made about Concept 2 (ie: "He (Slidewinder) stated in in other threads he hates everything associated with C2 as a company.")

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » September 25th, 2024, 3:50 pm

rickbayko wrote:
September 14th, 2024, 6:32 am
PaulG and I have C2 Bantams for our boats on the Merrimack River in Haverhill, MA. He for his Peinert Zehpyr and me for my Alden Star. Mine are three years old and his are about four years old and we both are fully satisfied with them. I'd used Aldens, Crokers, and some nameless oars before and like the Bantams much better.

Last Saturday I rowed in a borrowed boat and oars at a regatta in Springfield and had to use some older and heavier C2 oars. They made me appreciate my Bantams even more.
I've used the Bantams in open water and I find that I am less likely to get the blades "stuck" in rough water.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » September 26th, 2024, 9:05 am

PaulG wrote:
September 25th, 2024, 3:50 pm
I've used the Bantams in open water and I find that I am less likely to get the blades "stuck" in rough water.
Thanks PaulG. I spent much time in my youth messing about in small boats in the 'land of shining waters', as this area is known. The wherry I built is not designed for rough water conditions, but will be fine in the breezy day chop that can be expected here. As explained earlier in this thread I have decided to purchase my sculling oars elsewhere, but your described experience with the C2 Bantams will be helpful to others.