Finding the right drag factor?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ShiftSavvy
Paddler

Re: Finding the right drag factor?

Post by ShiftSavvy » September 16th, 2024, 11:26 am

efagerho wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 5:06 am
I've seen quite a few posts here on the drag factor. I had previously been rowing at damper 4, which on my rower seemed to be a drag factor of about 117. I suspect that this is too low for a 190cm/95kg male. I've decided to try out my next workout at drag factor 130. However, I was wondering how people usually go about finding the right drag factor? Any good tests that would make sense doing?
I know this is a super old post but... Finding the right drag factor can definitely make a difference in your rowing experience, especially as a taller, heavier rower like yourself. The drag factor determines how much resistance you feel with each stroke, and getting it dialed in correctly is key to optimizing your performance and comfort on the machine.

A drag factor of around 130 is a common starting point for many rowers, especially for someone of your size (190cm/95kg). However, the "right" drag factor really depends on your goals, fitness level, and stroke technique

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » September 17th, 2024, 1:55 am

However, I was wondering how people usually go about finding the right drag factor?
I use Ergdata to set drag so that I can do a full length pull (1.1-1.2m) in 0.6 seconds, at the force that I can apply for up to a hundred strokes at aerobic training rates (18-24).

I've dropped DF from 130 to 90 in the last 20 years.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » September 18th, 2024, 10:04 am

One windy day we couldn't get on the water, so did 2K on erg instead.

I forgot to set DF on boathouse erg. Turned out erg DF was 84. I usually use 115 +/- 5.

84 vs 115 made ZERO difference on 2K time, effort, HR as far as I could tell.

Someone on this forum a few years ago did a great experiment where they did steady state at different drag factors, same SPM, same SPLIT and looked their HR. HR didn't care about DF at all. Really neat data.

Someone did a medical study of training effect of different drag factors. Google can find it. No impact by changing DF based on studying post exercise muscle tissue, etc.

So hunt for a DF you like, but don't sweat it. Lower DF is claimed to be less stress on back starting intervals. Higher DF is likely better for very short sprint race pieces for best time/distance.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » September 18th, 2024, 4:42 pm

Here's the thread @tsnor is referring to:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206252&hilit=drag&start=21

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 22nd, 2024, 9:13 am

Tsnor wrote:
September 18th, 2024, 10:04 am
Someone on this forum a few years ago did a great experiment where they did steady state at different drag factors, same SPM, same SPLIT and looked their HR. HR didn't care about DF at all. Really neat data.
I did a similar thing, but found very different results. And I've trained for months at lower dragfactors due to injury. The issue is that at DF70 the flywheel is too fast to catch effectively at 20SPM and too heavy to keep doing for long at DF225.

I'd agree that small changes in DF wouldn't matter much, but at the extremes changes are tough to compensate for.
Tsnor wrote:
September 18th, 2024, 10:04 am
Someone did a medical study of training effect of different drag factors. Google can find it. No impact by changing DF based on studying post exercise muscle tissue, etc.
That is surprising. In my experience, DF70 makes rowing quite aerobic: you need a quick drive to obtain a decent catch. You have a bit more time in the recovery, but it stays quite earobic. On DF225, the strain on muscles is considerable as you encounter a slow flywheel and accelerating is tougher due to the drag. I rowed on DF450 for a while on a different machine, and it actually hurts your joints, making it almost a power lifting excercise. So I have some issue in being convinced that DF has no effect on muscle buildup.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » September 23rd, 2024, 5:21 am

If the DF feels too high, as it often does nowadays even at 90, I increase the rating slightly, without increasing power. This alters my force/speed combination; aka impedance. Todays WOD was a killer for me, so did it with a 5W stroke at 21 and a few extra breaks.

A personal worst, but still better than nothing.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week