New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Mr. Bun

Training

Post by [old] Mr. Bun » January 14th, 2005, 6:14 pm

2000 in 7:44.5. this beat my prior best of 7:48.2. <br><br>My pacing was horrible. It was sort of a "fly and die" at first, faded in the middle, fought back to finish strong. Instantaneous pace times ranged from 1:48 to 2:02 back down to 1:55 toward the end. Clearly there will be some pacing exercises in my future.

[old] seat5

Training

Post by [old] seat5 » January 14th, 2005, 8:10 pm

Good going, <b>Mr. Bun</b>! It is hard to develop the mental discipline to choose your pace and stick to it. I usually use the pace calculator to figure out the avg. pace I need to hit a certain target , and then set the monitor on "avg pace" and work at keeping that number where it belongs until near the end, and then sprint to do better than planned.<br><br>Good work, <b>Jane</b>, keep it up! I have to admit I feel the same way about competing at any of the IRC's. I do much better work when it's just me and the erg--not even any family around to distract me from either getting the job done or wimping out! But you should maybe go and watch one and see what you think, at least you can meet Carole & have some fun, she might even let you sign that pink plaster!<br><br>You got the last laugh <b>HagueDragon</b>, I love it! <br><br>Carla

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 15th, 2005, 10:55 am

thanks carla, and well done you on that marathon. i am in awe of anyone who can do that. RESPECT! i will try to build up to a half marathon in the next month and i think i might try a 10k on monday when i have some peace and quiet.<br><br>jane

[old] RichardF49

Training

Post by [old] RichardF49 » January 15th, 2005, 12:05 pm

I know it is not fast, but after a long lay off. I started again 18 Nov 2004. I have <br>207000 meters and a 10000m time of 50:1.1 as of last night. My belly is much smaller and I don't feel like a old man. Regards

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 15th, 2005, 1:30 pm

well done, richard. i'm going to try my first 10k on monday. i'll be happy if i manage it in under an hour! i've been rowing since about the same time as you (but as a complete novice). i don't feel like an old man either; i quite fancy a younger one! <br><br>35 secs off my 6k time today. my new pb is 27:31.1 @ 23spm. i did a little sprint for the last 100m of every 1k.<br><br>and it makes it on to the 1st page of the women's 40-49 6k in the rankings!!!! that's a first for me!<br><br>very happy<br><br>jane

[old] RichardF49

Training

Post by [old] RichardF49 » January 15th, 2005, 3:52 pm

Good on you Jane and thanks. I listen to ZZTops greatest hits when I do the 10K.<br>Seems to help. Good luck on the 10. Regards

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 15th, 2005, 4:16 pm

New Half Marathon PB for me today. <br><br>New PB of 77:28.2 (1:50.1) <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Hoofbeat

Training

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » January 16th, 2005, 6:32 am

Thank you SOOOOO much for all your help guys the last few weeks. You may remember I was desperately training for some time trials where the senior squad of rowers would be picked. Originally, we were going to be doing 2 x 1k (one sprint and one to assess technique) so I had been plannig on only training over that length of distance. However, you all persuaded me otherwise and I practised over 2k & 5k for the whole of my vacation. And I'm so glad you made me, as they changed the time trial to 2k!<br><br>Anyways, have just got back from the time trial and completely smashed my previous best by almost 30seconds to get 8.27.1 (remember I'm only a novice rower!)! I was also really pleased as during that I was rowing at a pretty low stroke rate considering they were trials (around 24/26 compared to everyone else who was about 32!). My cox was there with us and he was genuinely thrilled with everyone's times.<br><br>So thank you all sooooooo much, I really feel I might have just done myself justice and now have a fairly good stab at getting in the Women's First VIII and if not I know for certain I'll be rowing in a good position in the 2nd's! I'll keep you updated when I hear which crew I'm in (probably tomorrow).<br><br>Thank you once again <br><br>Chloé<br>xxx

[old] CAROLE MAC

Training

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » January 16th, 2005, 6:43 am

well done Chloe .... keep training and you will be sub 8 next year ....

[old] little weed

Training

Post by [old] little weed » January 16th, 2005, 7:37 am

wow chloé, brilliant news...fingers crossed for you!<br><br>richard, i think i'll need something that lasts a bit longer than ZZtops greatest hits! lol! i think i might have the dvd of the 2004 olympic regatta going on. even though i don't watch much when i'm rowing, the commentary should inspire me! i'll have to try to contain my emotions when the men's coxless fours get their medals though!<br><br>jane

[old] hwt

Training

Post by [old] hwt » January 16th, 2005, 10:47 am

Good job Chloe. Glad to see that your perserverance is paying off! Good luck with the crew selection. I'm sure your coach will have noticed the improvements you've made over the past month.<br><br>Jane, that is a fantastic 6k score for someone so new. Good luck on your 10k tomorrow.

[old] neilb

Training

Post by [old] neilb » January 16th, 2005, 3:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Hoofbeat+Jan 16 2005, 05:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Hoofbeat @ Jan 16 2005, 05:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I was also really pleased as during that I was rowing at a pretty low stroke rate considering they were trials (around 24/26 compared to everyone else who was about 32!). My cox was there with us and he was genuinely thrilled with everyone's times.<br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Chloe,<br><br>Great result. The fact that you did so well with a fairly low/steady stroke rate suggest that you have good sound technique and fitness that will stand you in good stead in the future.<br><br>The race may be a 2k sprint but the training for it is certainly not! Continue to build this with the longer training sessions and you will be more than qualified for a position in the first VIII.

[old] Hoofbeat

Training

Post by [old] Hoofbeat » January 16th, 2005, 3:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-neilb+Jan 16 2005, 02:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (neilb @ Jan 16 2005, 02:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Chloe,<br><br>Great result. The fact that you did so well with a fairly low/steady stroke rate suggest that you have good sound technique and fitness that will stand you in good stead in the future.<br><br>The race may be a 2k sprint but the training for it is certainly not! Continue to build this with the longer training sessions and you will be more than qualified for a position in the first VIII. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Thanks. I was hoping that going at such a low stroke rate would indicate good technique (something else they told us they would consider). I know if I up the rate my splits get dramatically lower but I don't yet have enough stamina to maintain that rate for such long periods (well long to me!). However, like you said I just now need to do long ergs at a nice steady rate to increase my fitness and maintain my technique and then I will be able to do sprints at a higher rate and thus get even quicker times. The problem with being back at Uni is that I don't have the time to do my own separate training as well as the rowing training, so I know I'll be limited on how often we use ergs (we've been told to expect more river outings this term) and also my coaches (other undergrads who use to row) will dictate what our erg sessions are. Hopefully I should find out either tonight or tomorrow (I think 2 ppl still have to do their ergs) which boat I'll be in <fingers crossed>.

[old] TheHagueDragon

Training

Post by [old] TheHagueDragon » January 17th, 2005, 8:33 am

Today, 4 days before my 40th birthday i tried 5k. Old time was 18:20, today i did 17:52:8. Average pace was 1:47:3/500 m.<br>Thanks to someone who stayed with me and was watching me rowing the last 400 metres i managed to pull a little bit harder at the end.<br><br>On the ranking i moved from 153 to 76. If i did this one next week i would be 46th in my new agegroup. I think i'm not gonna try a PB this week again. I save the for next week.<br><br>

[old] Ash

Training

Post by [old] Ash » January 17th, 2005, 10:51 am

friday 14th - 30 minute TT - 8,806m, 30 spm, 1:42.2 Av. Was aiming for <1:42.0 but still happy with a 53m improvement. Still feeling rough after it though, think it has made me ill.