New Personal Best

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] SimonB

Training

Post by [old] SimonB » December 4th, 2004, 3:50 pm

Today was the first time at attempting a HM. Completed it in 1:45:44.1<br><br>Now, I know it's not up there with you elite rowers <br><br>But I am very proud of my time <br><br>S.

[old] whp4

Training

Post by [old] whp4 » December 4th, 2004, 10:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SimonB+Dec 4 2004, 07:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (SimonB @ Dec 4 2004, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today was the first time at attempting a HM. Completed it in 1:45:44.1<br><br>Now, I know it's not up there with you elite rowers  <br><br>But I am very proud of my time <br><br>S.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Nothing wrong with that time whatsoever! You'll probably find that the next one is a lot easier, just because you have an idea of what to expect, and how much effort you can put out while still having enough left to finish.<br><br>One thing that can make pieces of nearly any length a bit easier is to maintain a steady pace. If you spend much time going faster than the overall average pace, that's a lot of time you're applying higher than necessary force to the handle, and because the work involved varies as the cube of the speed, that may be a lot of extra effort vs. simply keeping a steady pace at the desired average. If your pace on that first HM fluctuated quite a bit (the PM3 shows this information readily, I don't have much experience with the PM2(+)), you can probably knock a few minutes right off by rowing another HM and holding the pace steady at the same overall average pace, then turning it up at the very end when you're sure you can hold on. Then the next time, you can go out at the overall average of this one, and so on. If you don't get too aggressive about trying to knock off every possible second each time, you can enjoy getting a new PB for quite a few rows in succession - and that's a nice motivation in my book!

[old] SimonB

Training

Post by [old] SimonB » December 5th, 2004, 1:18 am

Thanks Whp4<br><br>I'm using rowpro and setup three pace boats. Had know idea what pace I would do over the 21k<br><br>Setup them up at 2:27, 2:26, 2:25. Ended up doing 2:30 ish<br><br>Had to take a few breaks for aching bum muscles and realized that my technique was not as good as I thought.<br><br>Doing a HM highlightes problems with technique that 10k does not. I realized that I was actually trying to pull with my lower back. Those muscles are weak and not upto the job. Owwww!<br><br>I made my back more rigid during the drive and relaxed more before the catch, that seemed to help. <br><br>The other thing I realized was to eat more for breakfast <br><br>Thanks again for the advice and I look forward to my next attepmpt <br>S.

[old] TheHagueDragon

Training

Post by [old] TheHagueDragon » December 6th, 2004, 9:55 am

Today i did 2k in a new PB: 6:41:7. The old one was 6:46:4.<br>It's my 21th PB since i started logging on 12-10-04.

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » December 6th, 2004, 12:04 pm

2K PB in 7:16.2!<br><br>This was my oldest PB, almost two years old. After the HM a few weeks ago, this is my second PB this season. More to come, I think.<br><br>Very happy with this one. With only two week to go for the EIRC, I needed some reassurance that my training has paid off. <br><br><br>Tom<br>

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » December 6th, 2004, 2:36 pm

Great going Tomhz. Lets have you at least sub 7:15 at EIRC <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » December 6th, 2004, 3:49 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Dec 6 2004, 06:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Dec 6 2004, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great going Tomhz. Lets have you at least sub 7:15 at EIRC    <br><br>Sir Pirate<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Thanks!<br><br>Will you be there too? <br><br>Tom

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » December 6th, 2004, 4:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tomhz+Dec 6 2004, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (tomhz @ Dec 6 2004, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Dec 6 2004, 06:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Dec 6 2004, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great going Tomhz. Lets have you at least sub 7:15 at EIRC     <br><br>Sir Pirate<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Thanks!<br><br>Will you be there too? <br><br>Tom <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Unfortunately I will not be going, I did enter but things have changed and have made the decision not to make the trip.<br><br>Anyone now if there will be a web cast for the event?<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] MarkPayton

Training

Post by [old] MarkPayton » December 7th, 2004, 7:39 pm

Wow! There are some incredibly impressive PB's on this thread! Congrats to all!<br><br>My own achievements are relatively modest, but I'll share them anyway.<br><br>Through the inspiration of a races in e-row, I've managed to set new PB's in the 5k, 6k, and 10k - all in the space of 3 weeks! This past Sunday, I put up a 60min achievement (with RowPro) - I finally broke the 15k barrier with a performance of 15234! Been working on that particular hurdle for over 2 years now, and it feels great to clear it. (It's on the rankings as a RowPro rowfile if anyone is interested)<br><br>Now, it's time to work on the shorter distances again. I'll enjoy this PB high for the week, then a 2k this weekend ought to make me humble again!<br><br>Congrats again to all who've reached new peaks of fitness - let's keep inspiring each other to improve.<br><br>Tom - good luck at EIRC!

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » December 8th, 2004, 5:59 pm

Mark,<br><br>your training and online races are really paying off on the long distances too!<br><br>It was about time. With low 6:50-ish on 2K and a low 22 on 6K you should be able to go faster on 1h and HM <br><br>Have fun!<br><br>Tom<br><br>

[old] jus gray

Training

Post by [old] jus gray » December 9th, 2004, 8:33 am

Hello everyone, did a pb on my 2000m today it was 8.10 ad now stands at 7.43.6 @ df 10.<br><br>I`m chasing all you 6 minute people (one day)

[old] johnnybike

Training

Post by [old] johnnybike » December 9th, 2004, 10:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jus gray+Dec 9 2004, 07:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (jus gray @ Dec 9 2004, 07:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello everyone, did a pb on my 2000m today it was 8.10 ad now stands at 7.43.6 @ df 10.<br><br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Well done Jus. <br>One thing I have noticed about the site are the number of very good times reported. It is easy to forget that not everyone can achieve those times.<br><br>My first PBs yesterday were 2K 8:22 and 5K 21:55. I hope to improve on these but realistically 7:30 and 20:00 would be good / achievable targets<br><br>Your 25 seconds off a 2K time is excellent. What is your realistic target<br><br>From what I can gather the df@10 does not seem to be important. I used a setting of 5 and I think it is like cycling. Lance Armstrong 'spins' more than Jan Ulrich who 'pushes a big gear'. Horses for courses I know.<br><br>I hope I have understood that correctly <br><br>John

[old] jus gray

Training

Post by [old] jus gray » December 9th, 2004, 10:24 am

Hello John, thanks and yes it`s easy to get lost with these world record breakers on here performing awesome times that us mere mortals dream of. They are my insperation though.<br><br>On the 2k today I pulled so hard on the rower I thought I was going to rip the thing of, also was very nearly sick at the end (porridge for breakfast). I gave 110% because I wanted to beat my previous pb and I did.<br><br>I think after xmas I`m going to be doing 2k at under 7 minutes and will be very pleased with that mate.<br><br>All the best.

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » December 9th, 2004, 5:46 pm

5K PB 19:01.8. <br><br>Only 0.7sec faster than previous one, almost one year ago. But I did this one with a lousy warming up. Only had 4 minutes before the start of the online E-row race. so I started a little slow. <br>With better preparation I can go under 19:00 for sure. That is one of my long term goals I set 2 years ago. Another one is sub 39:00 for 10K. I will attack that one after the EIRC. Slow but steady improvement. <br><br><br>Tom

[old] c2jonw

Training

Post by [old] c2jonw » December 9th, 2004, 5:56 pm

Congrats to all on the PBs. I really improved my hour today. 16210 meters- 1:51 pace. I rowed it pretty steady, but was a little fast for the first 20 minutes, then backed off a little for the middle 20 (mostly a psycological rest) and finished the last 20 feeling strong. Drag was at 120, stroke rate was 29-31. <br><br>Did not row yesterday, but skated for a while with a few other people. This fits the general pattern for me of having very good rows (or runs) after a day or two of rest......C2JonW