Forum Flyers

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » April 17th, 2024, 3:35 pm

@ debinapril previous:

I posted about the FF boat 4 disappearance on the CTC comp thread yesterday.

“ATTENTION Fergus:

Forum Flyers boat IV has gone missing from the April CTC Baker’s Dozen challenge. Four seats occupied; 1 hwt seat open. A list of unfloated boats of other teams remains—most of which contain only 1 or 2 entries. I can’t imagine this deletion is intentional by either human or programmatic agency but if there is a threshold for inclusion that FF boat 4 did not meet, what is it? The list of unfloated boats was recently added to the new Indoors Outdoors version of the game. So birthing pains perhaps and to be expected. If the disappeared entries are down to errant electrons, please have the FF boat 4 data restored or request resubmission by the four persons effected. Thankyou.”

Doug Lawson advises adressing Fergus (the game runner) on the indoorinside site:
https://insideindoor.com/contact-us/
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » April 17th, 2024, 3:52 pm

Just checked the CTC and boat 4 is restored to the list of unfloated boats. Still needs one hwt for full complement.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

debinapril
Paddler

Post by debinapril » April 19th, 2024, 4:47 am

jackarabit wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 3:52 pm
Just checked the CTC and boat 4 is restored to the list of unfloated boats. Still needs one hwt for full complement.
Well done! Glad you’re on the case, I didn’t know who to contact. Every seat counts and it’s always helpful to see who needs to jump into a boat!

:D
F Hwt 65yrs 5ft 9in 2K - 7.41 (Nov 2011)
16.5 Million Metres rowed OTE :-)
Forum Flyers

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » April 19th, 2024, 9:20 am

I didn’t get around to contacting Fergus. The irrascible Pup with the Loving Cup may have? Possible it fixed itself which typically means it will break itself again. No scores migrating from one month to the next thus far. That’s progress!

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

AnnaRaeGreen
500m Poster

Post by AnnaRaeGreen » May 4th, 2024, 10:36 am

Welcome to a New Season of Indoor Rowing!

We already have one boat floating in the May CTC - and, we have the pick for June! Any suggestions?

I was all excited to start entering times for the 2025 Nonathlon. After several odd messages in trying to register, I realized that they don't have the registration open for the new season yet - so there is still time to put in an entry for a workout that you did last season. I guess I will try later this weekend to get myself registered.

ARG
Anna Rae Green
Medicine Hat, AB Canada
FHWT, Age 58

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » May 4th, 2024, 11:07 pm

My April training was very limited by work commitments unfortunately with staff on leave - worked every day bar 3 in the month!
Managed the May challenge yesterday and had to work hard to get 3511m. Maybe one later in the month will be better.

Yes Anna we have the pleasure of choosing the next CTC! Normally we take a few suggestions and maybe a vote.
We should try not to be too close to some recent ones. Back in the day FF were the sprint kings and queens and won/top3 a couple outright.
A June theme could 6x 240m or a straight 6240?

BTW the Terry update is not good at all - the diagnosis a lung cancer called mesothelioma which is incurable. It is common here in Oz and related to exposure to asbestos. Usually the time between exposure and disease is decades - 40/50 years is the average. Often those in the building trades, those mining it or exposed from insulation. Treatment can be positive and hold things at bay for years hopefully. Terry is upbeat and optimistic. We are hoping he will have a row soon just to keep moving on.
Lindsay
72yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

AnnaRaeGreen
500m Poster

Post by AnnaRaeGreen » May 15th, 2024, 11:30 am

lindsayh wrote:
May 4th, 2024, 11:07 pm
Yes Anna we have the pleasure of choosing the next CTC! Normally we take a few suggestions and maybe a vote.
We should try not to be too close to some recent ones. Back in the day FF were the sprint kings and queens and won/top3 a couple outright.

BTW the Terry update is not good at all - the diagnosis a lung cancer called mesothelioma which is incurable. It is common here in Oz and related to exposure to asbestos. Usually the time between exposure and disease is decades - 40/50 years is the average. Often those in the building trades, those mining it or exposed from insulation. Treatment can be positive and hold things at bay for years hopefully. Terry is upbeat and optimistic. We are hoping he will have a row soon just to keep moving on.
Lindsay - I like either one of your ideas for the June CTC - although I would lean towards the 6240 m just because the last few CTC's were interval based.

Sorry to here about Terry - hopefully his treatments work to hold things off for quite a few years.
Anna Rae Green
Medicine Hat, AB Canada
FHWT, Age 58

skkipper
500m Poster

Post by skkipper » May 17th, 2024, 11:48 pm

lindsayh wrote:
Sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for treatment success and feeling better soon.
lindsayh wrote:
I think all of the recent rows have had total distances around 2000-4000m, so I was thinking a shorter single sprint would be fun, like maybe just 624m. But I don’t have strong feelings, 6x240m and 6240m would also be good. (I have a hip labrum tear so personally not excited by a longer row at the moment, but hoping it will feel much better by late June.)

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » May 21st, 2024, 7:49 am

skkipper wrote:
May 17th, 2024, 11:48 pm
I think all of the recent rows have had total distances around 2000-4000m, so I was thinking a shorter single sprint would be fun, like maybe just 624m. But I don’t have strong feelings, 6x240m and 6240m would also be good. (I have a hip labrum tear so personally not excited by a longer row at the moment, but hoping it will feel much better by late June.)
I'm happy with that 624 too. similar to some of the sprinting ones from the past.
you can make the call skipper by the end of the week.

Speaking of the past the historical records on the CTC thread are pretty good for us - 4th overall since the competition started.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161998&start=2010#p584225

go the Flyers!!
Lindsay
72yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

Slothful1
6k Poster

Post by Slothful1 » May 21st, 2024, 4:50 pm

I'm absolutely embarrassed to see that I last logged into the forum in December 2022! Sorry everyone, but I'm sure this level of dedication isn't what you were expecting when Henry handed me the captaincy. If anyone is keen to take over and do a better job I really won't mind, but I'll also pledge to do better until that kind soul comes along!

It's great to see new people joining the team and also that the regulars keep dipping in and out and contributing to all the challenges. I've tried to at least get on the rower once a month for the CTC but I suspect that my overall metres are going to plummet now that I've replaced my BikeErg with something from a competitor.

Anyway, onto the choice of next month's CTC... Thanks for kicking off the discussion (I've been snoozing my reminder since late April) and I'd be very keen to support the 624m proposal. It's something different from what we've seen in recent months and should attract good participation.

If no one has strong objections by the end of Tuesday next week I'd be happy to lock it in with the organisers. I'll also drop a message onto our Facebook group and send a quick logbook mail to the team.

Cheers
Dave

meerkats
1k Poster

Post by meerkats » May 22nd, 2024, 3:46 am

skkipper wrote:
May 17th, 2024, 11:48 pm
[ (I have a hip labrum tear so personally not excited by a longer row at the moment, but hoping it will feel much better by late June.)
Whoop whoop!!!!, someone with the same thing.....in a nice way. This resulted in me dislocating my hip and trapping the femoral nerve and artery, i thought I was going to be on walking sticks for a while. Holding off for a hip replacement and just doing single leg strength to keep the tear at bay. Are you going t have an op???

meerkats
1k Poster

Post by meerkats » May 22nd, 2024, 3:49 am

Slothful1 wrote:
May 21st, 2024, 4:50 pm
I'm absolutely embarrassed to see that I last logged into the forum in December 2022! Sorry everyone, but I'm sure this level of dedication isn't what you were expecting when Henry handed me the captaincy. If anyone is keen to take over and do a better job I really won't mind, but I'll also pledge to do better until that kind soul comes along!

It's great to see new people joining the team and also that the regulars keep dipping in and out and contributing to all the challenges. I've tried to at least get on the rower once a month for the CTC but I suspect that my overall metres are going to plummet now that I've replaced my BikeErg with something from a competitor.

Anyway, onto the choice of next month's CTC... Thanks for kicking off the discussion (I've been snoozing my reminder since late April) and I'd be very keen to support the 624m proposal. It's something different from what we've seen in recent months and should attract good participation.

If no-one has strong objections by the end of Tuesday next week I'd be happy to lock it in with the organisers. I'll also drop a message onto our Facebook group and send a quick logbook mail to the team.

Cheers
Dave
It took me way too long to work out why 624 :). Happy to go with the flow

meerkats
1k Poster

Post by meerkats » May 22nd, 2024, 4:02 am

and Hello everyone!!!! Also not logged in for a while, trust alls well, especially Terry, lets hope good things.

I've started like a train this year. I want to hit the 30million this season, which hope means a more nature move towards being a lightweight, eitherway really fancy a pop at the 2k again and doing maybe a silly trip to Boston again, or similar. That means averaging 8+k a day, not done that for a while, but so far so good, not too far off target.

Also going to organise a local race, just organised a Wellie Wanging Championship, cant be that different :)

Asked this before, who is our "Name Withheld"??, I dont see the point, is it a famous person, a royal maybe??

CTC legends update soon

CHeers

C

skkipper
500m Poster

Post by skkipper » May 22nd, 2024, 10:37 am

meerkats wrote:
May 22nd, 2024, 3:46 am
Whoop whoop!!!!, someone with the same thing.....in a nice way. This resulted in me dislocating my hip and trapping the femoral nerve and artery, i thought I was going to be on walking sticks for a while. Holding off for a hip replacement and just doing single leg strength to keep the tear at bay. Are you going t have an op???
Oh no!! That sounds much much worse. Mine is not so bad, I think it just needs some time and lots of PT but I have been walking without too much pain and able to do some bilateral strength. How long will you have to wait for the hip replacement?

meerkats
1k Poster

Post by meerkats » May 22nd, 2024, 11:14 am

skkipper wrote:
May 22nd, 2024, 10:37 am
meerkats wrote:
May 22nd, 2024, 3:46 am
Oh no!! That sounds much much worse. Mine is not so bad, I think it just needs some time and lots of PT but I have been walking without too much pain and able to do some bilateral strength. How long will you have to wait for the hip replacement?
The doctor said about three year if you don't do any running....so what am i doing :). I think I'll save up and just get it done before it goes pear shaped.

It is pain free at the moment, although did get some nerve damage, so its abit like have electirc shock treatment to my shins most of the time