Flywheel roller bearing size/spec (not clutch bearing)

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Basil
Paddler

Flywheel roller bearing size/spec (not clutch bearing)

Post by Basil » February 13th, 2024, 12:34 am

Hi everyone,

I’m restoring an ex-surf club Model C with a failing clutch and no PM that is currently usable. Bought for AUD60 so happy to spend a bit more for quality components.

Can someone please tell me the specs of the two (?) bearings that accompany the one-way clutch bearing inside the flywheel core and if there are better quality alternatives?

I have searched the forum to no avail and called Concept 2 in Australia who didn’t have the answer. (They do sell new Model C flywheels though for AUD155 which is my fallback if it all goes wrong.)

After taking the flywheel off, removing the circlip and measuring with my plastic calipers, I’ve come to suspect they could be R8 / R8-2RS bearings (0.5 X 1.125 X 0.3125 INCHES) but would prefer to confirm before ordering.

TIA

c2jonw
6k Poster

Re: Flywheel roller bearing size/spec (not clutch bearing)

Post by c2jonw » February 13th, 2024, 9:14 am

Technically speaking they are ball bearings, not roller bearings. And the clutch is a roller clutch. There are also roller bearings and roller clutch bearings (two small rows of roller bearings adjacent to a roller clutch, all in one unit). But anyway yes they are stock R8 bearings with shields.
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

Basil
Paddler

Post by Basil » February 14th, 2024, 1:03 am

Thank you on both counts c2jonw! I’ll order some R8-2RS ball bearings ASAP.

BTW I read in a post that the serial numbers used to be handwritten so here’s a picture of mine (032095):

I was expecting to overpaint this during the refurb but I think I’ll mask it off and maybe even clear coat it.

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » February 14th, 2024, 3:57 pm

Also read this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=192588&start=30 from Carl Watts about upgrade bearings.