How to get better on the erg

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
millermathewson
Paddler

How to get better on the erg

Post by millermathewson » January 29th, 2024, 5:17 pm

Hi all,

I’m a 15 year old male, 5’8 (I know) and 56kg. I’ve been rowing maybe 2 and 1/2 years now I can’t really remember. Obviously there is always room for improvement but me and the coaches would say my technique is alright, I can scull, sweep, erg and do it without capsizing or falling off. I’m just not very good on the ergos. My 2k is an abysmal 7:59. I train 3 times a week (right now 2 indoor one water if the weather lets it). I just need some tips, work outs, erg sessions etc. to try and fix my scores. Anything would be appreciated. Cheers

Joebasscat
2k Poster

Re: How to get better on the erg

Post by Joebasscat » January 29th, 2024, 6:19 pm

At 123 lbs (56kg) I don’t find anything abysmal about your 2k score of 7:59. Best advice I could give would be that time and Mother Nature will pull up along side you and provide much of the improvements you seek. At 15 yrs of age I know that’s not what you want to hear, but stay the course as long as you enjoy it. Remember you must balance any additional work with your already structured schedule. I’ll leave it to others for more specific suggestions.
65 5’-11” 72.5 kg

btlifter
2k Poster

Post by btlifter » January 29th, 2024, 11:33 pm

Joebasscat wrote:
January 29th, 2024, 6:19 pm
At 123 lbs (56kg) I don’t find anything abysmal about your 2k score of 7:59. Best advice I could give would be that time and Mother Nature will pull up along side you and provide much of the improvements you seek. At 15 yrs of age I know that’s not what you want to hear, but stay the course as long as you enjoy it. Remember you must balance any additional work with your already structured schedule. I’ll leave it to others for more specific suggestions.
^this
chop stuff and carry stuff

aussie nick
10k Poster

Post by aussie nick » January 30th, 2024, 2:27 am

millermathewson wrote:
January 29th, 2024, 5:17 pm
Hi all,

I’m a 15 year old male, 5’8 (I know) and 56kg. I’ve been rowing maybe 2 and 1/2 years now I can’t really remember. Obviously there is always room for improvement but me and the coaches would say my technique is alright, I can scull, sweep, erg and do it without capsizing or falling off. I’m just not very good on the ergos. My 2k is an abysmal 7:59. I train 3 times a week (right now 2 indoor one water if the weather lets it). I just need some tips, work outs, erg sessions etc. to try and fix my scores. Anything would be appreciated. Cheers
hi and welcome to the forum.

Good on you for looking to do extra to learn and improve. Most of us on here...at very different levels of talent, ages and stages of our rowing journey...have perspectives on what's worked for us and what might for you.

But we don't know nearly enough about you, your current program, what other sports, activities etc you partake in. We could ask you for that, but I do think the first person to start with is the coaches you currently work with who know you better than we can.

Can you ask them what 'extras' they can prescribe? If they're any good as coaches I'm sure one of the things that gives them pleasure is having students who want to learn and improve, so I'd very much hope you get good, constructive responses and advice from them. And hopefully some tangible advice and a plan.

but I will also concur that getting sub 8 at your height and weight really isn't 'abysmal'. I'm sure there's more to come and with more training and more height and weight as you age, you'll get there
M/52/6ft/86kg
took up rowing during pandemic

500m 1.26.9
1k 3.08.2
2k 6.39.7
5k 18.02.2
30min 8008m

ShortAndStout
500m Poster

Post by ShortAndStout » January 30th, 2024, 6:53 pm

Not sure if this is accurate in general but theres something to be said about having just started puberty so your muscles have really just started seriously developing, which means you'll get stronger over time automatically.
24M 200lb 67in HR45-205 | 2K 7:45 (June 23) | HM 1:38 (June 23) | First million meters! (Nov 23)