PM5 Staying On

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
VincentJ
Paddler

PM5 Staying On

Post by VincentJ » January 10th, 2024, 11:28 am

I have recently purchased the Bike ERG and over a period of two weeks went through several batteries because the PM5 would not turn off unless I unplugged it! I have the Row ERG and that is on the same batteries over a year later. Contacted Concept who sent out a replacement (excellent service) but the new PM5 is doing the same. The bike seems to be keeping the monitor on, yet if I unplug it, off it goes as it should. Obviously there is no power going to the bike so why should this be happening. I push the menu button four times and it goes off but comes back on again after a while. Has anyone else had this issue :?: All I can think is there is an issue with the cable and how it is in contact with the monitor.
Thoughts or advice appreciated.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Re: PM5 Staying On

Post by gvcormac » January 10th, 2024, 3:17 pm

There's an option to disable auto-off. Maybe it got set by accident. I've forgotten the ritual to set and reset it, but you might want to try a factory reset.

You can manually turn it off by pushing "Menu" button 4 times from the main menu. (That is, press it enough times to return to the main menu, then four more times.) This is not a long-term solution, but maybe.

Also, if you "just row" and are connected to ErgData, it'll stay on. The solution is to terminate ErgData and/or disconnect using ErgData and/or do the Menu-four-times off sequence.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » January 10th, 2024, 3:25 pm

Here's the magic sequence (starts at 2:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_J-Sp-XC8

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » January 10th, 2024, 6:36 pm

I had a similar problem that turned out to be related to using ErgData. When done with a workout if I didn't go back to the home screen, press the CONNECT button and manually disable ErgData, the screen would stay on and use up battery life. Once I remembered to do that the problem went away.
55-59: 1:33.5 3:19.2 6:55.7 18:22.0 2:47:26.5
60-64: 1:35.9 3:23.8 7:06.7 18:40.8 2:48:53.6
65-69: 1:38.6 3:31.9 7:19.2 19:26.6 3:02:06.0
70-74: 1:40.2 3:33.4 7:32.6 19:50.5 3:06:36.8
75-76: 1:43.9 3:47.7 7:50.2 20:51.3 3:13:55.7

VincentJ
Paddler

Post by VincentJ » January 11th, 2024, 4:07 am

Thank you for the responses, everything suggested has been tried but does not work. Only if I physically unplug the PM5 does it do what it should. Concept think the circuit board was faulty on the first PM5 but the fact that the replacement is doing the same. I just wonder if there is a contact issue on the cable, although the bike has no power, if there was a fault in the contact then that could keep the monitor awake when plugged in. The fact it goes off when unplugged points towards that.
I need to make contact with Concept again over this.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » January 11th, 2024, 6:54 am

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "physically unplug." Do you mean remove batteries, or unplug a USB connection?

Concept 2 are very responsive. I suggest you contact them via their web page.

Edit: On re-reading, I think you mean unplug from the sensor.

Here is contact form:

https://www.concept2.com/company

Here is phone number:

Please feel free to contact us by email or phone (800.245.5676 Monday–Friday 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m. ET) if we can be of any assistance with your new equipment—training, parts, warranty, support—we're here to help!

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 11th, 2024, 10:00 am

Has the permanently on for 12 hours option been set? That stops the PM5 shutting down unless you press the [MENU] button four times.

viewtopic.php?p=446625#p446625

VincentJ
Paddler

Post by VincentJ » January 12th, 2024, 5:58 am

Thanks for the response. Everything is set to turn off, nothing is connected, no apps, no sensors. If I leave the PM5 on the bike it does not turn off or if I press the menu four times goes off but will come back on again a bit later (30 secs- 1 minute) If I unplug the cable from the bottom of the PM5 that connects it to the bike it behaves as it should and turns off so it has to be an issue with the lead or bike keeping the PM5 awake.
I can unplug the lead each time I finish using it but apart from eventual wear it is just a hassle and takes a little away from the enjoyment of using the bike but more concerned that if I keep unplugging the cable, one day it will break and it is not supposed to operate like that anyway.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 12th, 2024, 7:13 am

Write an email to info@Concept2.com and ask them.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » January 12th, 2024, 8:23 am

Sounds like you will need a new sensor/cable assembly. It is a bit more complicated than on the rower because it connects to an angle sensor on the damper as well as the rotation sensor. I haven't actually done it -- only gotten as far as removing the fan cage, which is captive by the angle sensor wire.

There are schematics on the Concept 2 web site.

I guess it is also possible there is a bad ground inside the PM5, but that's not really a DIY fix.

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » January 12th, 2024, 9:55 am

Last September I had a similar issue on my RowErg (that has been not showing the issue in the past 2 years).
However in my case the PM5, after spontaneously coming back ON, automatically went OFF as expected (after a few minutes).

The problem lasted only a few days (2-4) and then disappeared, never to be noticed again (BTW, I also have a SkiErg since last August and I've never seen the issue on it).

I thought maybe it was something related to Bluetooth (an app like ErgData/ErgZone pinging the PM5, or maybe even BT in one of my cars, maybe left unlocked). But yeah, not a very convincing explanation.

My original thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207623
1973, 173cm (5'8"), LW, started rowing Sep 2021 (after 10 years of being a couch potato), c2 log
RowErg PBs:

VincentJ
Paddler

Post by VincentJ » January 12th, 2024, 10:40 am

Interesting reading your original thread. There could be any number of bluetooth connections around that could cause it then, however my rower is next to the bike and that has no issue. It has made me wonder if there is some stray signal causing it but I dont know what unless it is a phone. I have a Garmin watch connected to the PM5 for HR and in turn that is always connected through the Garmin app on my phone. The phone is away from the bike but maybe there is an issue there. I always make sure the HR is dissconected from the PM5 after use, but something is bringing the PM5 back to life.

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » January 12th, 2024, 10:55 am

The "BT may be waking up the PM5" is little more than speculation: to be honest I think somebody suggested it but I don't even know if it's technically possible.

I now have a Garmin watch too but that's recent: I got it well after the problem appeared & disappeared and I haven't seen the problem since.
And same for me: my SkiErg sits next to the RowErg but the SkiErg didn't show the problem.
I use both ErgData (on the SkiErg) and ErgZone (on the RowErg), and a chest HRM (Polar H9) connected to the PM5(s).
1973, 173cm (5'8"), LW, started rowing Sep 2021 (after 10 years of being a couch potato), c2 log
RowErg PBs:

HornetMaX
5k Poster

Post by HornetMaX » April 7th, 2024, 5:20 pm

Hmm today the problem happened again, after an HM row (~1h30) with ErgZone connected to the PM5 as usual.
Once done I've quit ErgZone and shut the PM5 down (press 3-4 time the Menu button on the PM5), again as usual.
After about 30sec the PM5 came back on. So I shut it down again and after ~30secs it came back on.

So I progressively switched all the devices that could even remotely connect, one by one, and shut the PM5 off after eliminating each device (phone by switching BT off, Wahoo Kickr unplugged, check my cars just in case, remove my HR chest strap). Same issue.

Funny thing: I power it off, after 30secs it switches on by itself, then after some time it goes off all alone (as per timeout, I guess) but then it comes back on.

I took the batteries off for a few secs, put them back in, same problem.

I let it be for 1 hour, no change, still going ON then OFF then ON etc.

So I took the batteries off for much longer (1h or so), put them back (I had to re-enter the date & time, but everything else was there, e.g. workouts in memory) and now it's OK.

Weird. Last time it happened was roughly September 2023 (I use it 4 times a week).
RowErg PBs:

MysticMelody
Paddler

Post by MysticMelody » April 8th, 2024, 2:40 am

Try is checking the cable connection to ensure it's secure and not loose. Sometimes, a loose connection can cause the monitor to stay on when it's not supposed to. If everything seems tight, you might want to reach out to Concept again and let them know you've tried the replacement but are still having issues. They might have some additional troubleshooting steps or be able to offer further assistance.

Also, have you tried updating the firmware on the PM5? Sometimes, a software update can fix bugs or glitches that might be causing the monitor to stay on. You can easily update the firmware by connecting the PM5 to a computer with a USB cable and following the instructions on the Concept2 website.