Is It Me... (newbie Alert!)

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] traveller

Training

Post by [old] traveller » February 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm

...or my rig?<br /><br />Okay, before we go any further, let me get one thing off my chest - I don't have a Concept2. Frankly, I just couldn't consider anything over 1,000- EUR & the model D sells for 1,300- EUR <i>(~1.600 USD incl. tax)</i> in my neck of the woods.<br /><br />So why am I here, you ask? Because although I'm very new to rowing, I've already come to the conclusion that this community is <i>the</i> place to be if you're interested in indoor rowing, not to mention the general sport of rowing!<br /><br />Now that I've got that out of the way, I'm concerned that my speed is waaaay to low. When I first got my rower (~one mth ago), I had no idea of how to row. Now I have <i>some idea</i> of how to row - heck, I've even studied Xeno's [indoor] rowing sequence... 8) Don't worry, I'm not so silly as to believe that I would become a competitive rower in a mth's time - but I'm not even remotely in the ball park.... :( <br /><br />So here's the deal: I'm 42, 1.82M (5'11"), 88Kg (195Lbs) & in so-so shape. My main hobby-sport is in-line skating but winter (& Fondue...) has taken it's toll (hence, my extra Lbs).... None the less, I'd say I'm <i>reasonably</i> fit (... for an IT professional addicted to Fondue, that is).<br /><br />So yeah, the underlying reason for the rower is to trim off some of that winter fat, but the other, more dominant reason is that I've gotten pretty excited over the sport and would like to approach rowing with the respect it deserves.<br /><br />Finally, on to the times. I row at a pace of ~30 which I find to be comfortable and in general, I keep the resistance relatively low. Now might be a good time to mention that my rower uses <i>cough * permanent magnet * cough</i> technology as opposed to air (or water) resistance. Well, at least it has a flywheel... :P<br /><br />Back to those times: If I don't even bother to worry about "speed", I average around 5min/500M.... After reading about everyone & their grandmothers rowing at <2min/500, it occurred to me that something's not right.... In the meantime, I read that flywheel acceleration is the key value behind an indoor rower's speed calc. & not resistance or even a super-duper stroke rate. So I jumped back on my rower & tried to row as hard (per stroke) as I could & managed to bring the average down to 3min/500 which is still nowhere near what you all row at during an entire marathon & I wouldn't even last 5mins at that level :(<br /><br />So, finally, my question: am I <i>that much</i> of an out-of-shape-and-unexperienced-newbie rower, or do magnetic rowers use "new math" or is it maybe a combination of both?<br /><br />Thanks for any info you may put forth <i>(even if it is to chastize me for not owning a Concept2... </i><br />

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » February 20th, 2006, 7:17 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56541:date=Feb 20 2006, 03:04 PM:name=Traveller 8^))--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Traveller 8^) @ Feb 20 2006, 03:04 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>...or my rig?<br /><br />So, finally, my question: am I <i>that much</i> of an out-of-shape-and-unexperienced-newbie rower, or do magnetic rowers use "new math" or is it maybe a combination of both?<br /><br />Thanks for any info you may put forth <i>(even if it is to chastize me for not owning a Concept2... </i><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The best way to answer your problem is to find a club that has a C2. Try it out an see how it compares with your brand. I really don't think that the number comparison has much value, since the different machines are using different methods of measurement. Most clubs will let you have a single visit membership for a nominal price. If there are any regular OTW rowing clubs in your area, they might let you try one out for free.<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] traveller

Training

Post by [old] traveller » February 20th, 2006, 8:03 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56545:date=Feb 21 2006, 02:17 AM:name=rspenger)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Feb 21 2006, 02:17 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->The best way to answer your problem is to find a club that has a C2. Try it out an see how it compares with your brand. I really don't think that the number comparison has much value, since the different machines are using different methods of measurement.<br />Bob S. </td></tr></table>Hi & thx for the idea, bob! I was already toying around with the idea of trying a C2 at one of the specialized fitness/ sporting goods stores <i>(but of course they'd probably freak if I jumped on a floor model & proceeded to row 2K...)</i>. So I'll try your idea out first! :)<br />

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » February 21st, 2006, 3:50 pm

Traveller, if for some reason, you are not able to take advantage of Bob's good suggestion, if you post here when you are going to be in a particular city, I'm sure a Forum member would be happy to let you try their C2.<br /><br />David<br />

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » February 22nd, 2006, 6:19 am

T8, as you have a machine, the thing to do is get the best out of it, or rather out of yourself. To do this, you need to pull long strokes. They don't have to be fast. 20 a minute will do. Watch carefully what you and your oar handle are doing. That handle must travel as far as possible, say 65-70% of your height, NOT as fast as possible. You move between two strong positions at catch and release. Relax and take it easy on the recovery, you don't get any other chance. <br /><br />If then you can pull say a few hundred long strokes, you're on your way. You'll be there when the strokes are long and also hard. Then you'll be glad to keep them slow.<br /><br />Don't worry about readouts. The clock and the litres of sweat you lose are good enough controls. Roughly 2% of our time is enough to stay fit, and a litre a day.

[old] BobD

Training

Post by [old] BobD » February 22nd, 2006, 11:49 am

<!--quoteo(post=56559:date=Feb 20 2006, 07:03 PM:name=Traveller 8^))--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Traveller 8^) @ Feb 20 2006, 07:03 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=56545:date=Feb 21 2006, 02:17 AM:name=rspenger)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Feb 21 2006, 02:17 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->The best way to answer your problem is to find a club that has a C2. Try it out an see how it compares with your brand. I really don't think that the number comparison has much value, since the different machines are using different methods of measurement.<br />Bob S. </td></tr></table>Hi & thx for the idea, bob! I was already toying around with the idea of trying a C2 at one of the specialized fitness/ sporting goods stores <i>(but of course they'd probably freak if I jumped on a floor model & proceeded to row 2K...)</i>. So I'll try your idea out first! :)<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you keep an eye on EBay you can find a C for less than €1000,00. I paid €946 for mine and it included shipping from Berlin to Munich. :D

[old] traveller

Training

Post by [old] traveller » February 23rd, 2006, 7:07 am

Hi & Thx to all<br /><br />for the offers, suggestions and tips :)<br /><br />My goal was to first of all decide if my rig is comparable to the C2 in terms of simple measurements, such as total meters rowed, 500 split times, etc. The theory is that if they are comparable, then I can decide if<br /><br />1) I'm rowing relatively efficiently, &<br />2) my general condition compared to various C2 user classes.<br /><br />While I still have not managed to establish if my rig is comparable, I have managed to improve my stroke quality quite a bit thanks to the C2 community and the suggestions (like the strapless concept, etc.) - so my thanks goes out to the community & I'll be visiting often for more :D<br /><br />As for the Ebay suggestion: yes, that <i>would</i> have been a possibility but now that I'm sitting on an 870- EUR rower I'm going to keep <a href="http://www.tunturi.com/fitness/product.cfm?id=85" target="_blank">it</a> a while, because much like a new car, it has already depreciated by <i>at least</i> 20%... .<br /><br />Fitness centers in Austria are not up to the level of marketing & sales tactics as they are in the U.S., but maybe I'll get lucky and manage a <i>trial week</i> or something like that... 8)

[old] Ray79

Training

Post by [old] Ray79 » February 23rd, 2006, 7:21 am

You could always try the <a href="http://www.concept2.co.uk/shop/hire_scheme.php" target="_blank">C2 indoor rower rental scheme.</a> But be warned, you <i><b>WILL</b></i> be hooked.<br /><br />P.s im not sure if they offer it to Austria, but it is worth a try