Elbow Pain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] giniajim

Training

Post by [old] giniajim » December 29th, 2004, 2:53 am

I've lately been having some pain in my left elbow. As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything asymmetric. The pain is in the inner part of the elbow. It doesn't bother me when I'm rowing any more than not rowing. So far, it hasn't kept me from rowing (erging).<br>Any ideas?

[old] SimonB

Training

Post by [old] SimonB » December 29th, 2004, 11:01 am

Hi <br><br>I get the same pain, again like you, it does not stop me from rowing.<br> <br>I have not investigated it further, but suspect some soft tissue being strained. I have always row with the damper set on 10 and this may be the cause. Although I am sure it started while playing foosball ! <br><br>I am thinking of lowering this for awhile and see how it goes. I'm not built for speed (short legs ) so this may not be so good for me.<br><br>As for the pain it might be tennis elbow? Anyone?<br><br><br>(If it is tennis elbow, this link was posted from another thread <a href='http://secure.cho-pat.com/home/' target='_blank'>http://secure.cho-pat.com/home/</a>)<br>Thanks<br>S.

[old] giniajim

Training

Post by [old] giniajim » December 30th, 2004, 12:59 am

I started rowing at about 4-5 and then went to 0 for awhile, now at 2-3. Still haven't quite figured out the "right" setting for me. Haven't identified any correlation between the setting and elbow pain.

[old] gengonushi

Training

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 1st, 2006, 7:01 pm

Sorry for your pain, but it's good to know I'm not the only person that's developed pain in the elbow pit. I've only been using the C model machine at the gym twice a week since January 2006, and the "personal trainer" that gave me an orientation to the gym basically only knew how to turn on the machine, not much else help. I'd been in heaven, because I need a "no"-impact, rather than low-impact exercise idea, and the C2 machine was perfect. <br /><br />The last couple of times I've noticed inner elbow pain begin to be a problem. I've found the inner elbow posts helpful. Search this site as recommended and also the net. I plan on watching the technique videos here at the site and seeing what I can find online.<br /><br />Hope to keep rowing! I hate those eliptical machines--which killed my knees, and the recumbent bike--also a knee killer. I do have CFS/Fybromyalgia, so I'm not trying to win the race, just stay in it. My workouts are five 1 minute sessions with rests, plus stretching afterward. With that, I've felt results from the rowing already, positive results, and am hoping with the helps on this site I'll lose the inner elbow pain.<br /><br />Good luck to all.<br /><br />Michele<br />PHX, AZ<br />

[old] Ben Rea

Training

Post by [old] Ben Rea » February 1st, 2006, 9:54 pm

those elbow pains are absolutley horrible, lifting weights doesnt help fix it, turst me...

[old] gengonushi

Training

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 2nd, 2006, 2:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Ben Rea+Feb 1 2006, 06:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ben Rea @ Feb 1 2006, 06:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->those elbow pains are absolutley horrible, lifting weights doesnt help fix it, trust me... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Absolutey not going to do that. I was referring to the 'C' model rowing machine, which my gym has, which is why I picked it, but which doesn't have people who really know how to use it. So I am learning...the sort of hard way .<br /><br />Michele

[old] jfo

Training

Post by [old] jfo » February 2nd, 2006, 5:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-giniajim+Dec 29 2004, 08:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(giniajim @ Dec 29 2004, 08:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've lately been having some pain in my left elbow.  As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything asymmetric.  The pain is in the inner part of the elbow.  It doesn't bother me when I'm rowing any more than not rowing.  So far, it hasn't kept me from rowing (erging).<br />Any ideas? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Had similar problem.<br />In situations like that something should be changed. The way you row or the intensity during each session or the frequency of sessions.<br />In that order I suppose.<br />What I did was that I focused on having the arms fully streched during the catch and not flexing them before the legs are almost streched. Also I started doing the strech outs (tennis elbow) that you can find elswhere in this forum. 30 sec. each after every training session. Also I have gone from training 6 times a week to rowing only every other day. On the other days I do weight lifting.<br /><br />My pain is gone. Hopefully it won't return when I return to rowing every day a couple of months before competition.<br /><br />I am pretty sure that if you just keep rowing as usual the damage will get worse and might become permanent.<br /><br />Good luck.

[old] gengonushi

Training

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 8th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Hey guys, guess what? After all the advice and information from the site here at C2, I rowed painlessly yesterday. You people have saved me from having to give up the C2 rower! Not flapping like a duck (oops) and doing the 70% leg thing with my arms led to the big burn---at least I know now. I'm so excited! I did 5 sets of straight arm rowing yesterday and 1 without flapping. Paid attention to my body position at all times. Got a little saddle sore from sitting with good posture, but think the muscles will build up or I will get rowing shorts with some padding in the seat.<br /><br />Thanks to all!!!!<br />Michele

[old] jfo

Training

Post by [old] jfo » February 10th, 2006, 7:51 am

<!--quoteo(post=55332:date=Feb 8 2006, 11:23 PM:name=gengonushi)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gengonushi @ Feb 8 2006, 11:23 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'> Got a little saddle sore from sitting with good posture, but think the muscles will build up or I will get rowing shorts with some padding in the seat.<br /><br />Thanks to all!!!!<br />Michele :lol:<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sounds good :) <br />Reg. saddle soreness. <br />Bend your back forward before starting the recovery should solve that.<br />So...the recovery should go like:<br />1.-Arms<br /> strech the arms<br />2.-Back<br /> bend forward<br />3.-Legs<br /> flex knees<br /><br />That will make you sit on the right part of you behind during the recovery.<br /><br />-JFO<br />

[old] gengonushi

Training

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />Sounds good :) <br />Reg. saddle soreness. <br />Bend your back forward before starting the recovery should solve that.<br />So...the recovery should go like:<br />1.-Arms<br /> strech the arms<br />2.-Back<br /> bend forward<br />3.-Legs<br /> flex knees<br /><br />That will make you sit on the right part of you behind during the recovery.<br /><br />-JFO<br />[/quote]<br />===========================================================<br /><br />Thanks. The pain is basically nil now. I'm continuing to be very happy with the C2 rower and the nice folks here.<br /><br />Michele

[old] jfo

Training

Post by [old] jfo » February 21st, 2006, 9:57 am

AARrrrrgh the pain came back into my left forearm/elbow. :( <br /><br />I have now made a handle that allows my hands to be positioned in 45 degrees to horizontal instead of<br />close to 0 degrees. Now the hands are positioned pretty much like when driving a car.<br /><br />Lets see how that goes. :) <br /><br />-Has anybody else tried this?<br />-Is it possible to buy different handles for Concept2?<br /><br />

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » February 21st, 2006, 12:36 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56626:date=Feb 21 2006, 08:57 AM:name=jfo)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jfo @ Feb 21 2006, 08:57 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>AARrrrrgh the pain came back into my left forearm/elbow. :( <br /><br />I have now made a handle that allows my hands to be positioned in 45 degrees to horizontal instead of<br />close to 0 degrees. Now the hands are positioned pretty much like when driving a car.<br /><br />Lets see how that goes. :) <br /><br />-Has anybody else tried this?<br />-Is it possible to buy different handles for Concept2?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi JFO,<br /><br />Great minds think alike... I also made a handle that lets me change the angle of my hands and put the thumb on the end of the oar where it should be. My handle also lets me feather while erging. There is a picture of it in this thread, where I discuss a homemade seat that gives an additional core workout while erging:<br /><br /><a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... =3507&st=0" target="_blank">http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... t=0</a><br /><br />I used to get very sore elbows from a lot of erging, even though I am careful to keep the arms straight and fairly relaxed during the first part of the drive, pull with the elbows at the finish so I'm using the lats, etc. I spend a lot of time rowing with Xeno or Xeno and Lucas and trying to imitate their form, with the exception that I am feathering while erging. <br /><br />The different hand position solved the problem of sore elbows for me. I wasn't the first to use a homemade handle to get a different hand position. When I put a posting about the handle, Bert told me he had also done something similar.<br /><br />Byron<br /><br /><br /><br />