Connect BikeERG with Garmin Fenix 6x

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg.
RGS
Paddler

Re: Connect BikeERG with Garmin Fenix 6x

Post by RGS » September 19th, 2023, 7:29 am

I don't mind the manual connection/USB (actually prefer it) and am perfectly happy with the C2 Logbook data; my issue is getting the correct time and distance on Garmin Connect directly from the watch rather than via the Logbook/ErgData as an additional upload.

Thanks.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 19th, 2023, 7:33 am

RGS wrote:
September 19th, 2023, 6:52 am
JaapvanE, do you define your workout via Garmin Connect? I note you can set a custom distance, but presumably that'll only finish the workout when it thinks you've covered that distance (which of course is not accurate, as it's unable to get this info from the PM5).
On my Epix, it lags a bit, but it is accurate. Is anything obstructing the communication?
RGS wrote:
September 19th, 2023, 6:52 am
At this rate, it looks like I'm just going to have to edit both the time and distance fields for each workout on Garmin Connect; whilst not ideal, I presume this is doable?
I edit on the mobile app, which allows modification of these fields.

RGS
Paddler

Post by RGS » September 19th, 2023, 8:07 am

Nope, no obstruction; I just mean that unless the watch is getting the distance data from somewhere (eg PM5) it's going to be an estimate, right?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought you got around the distance issue by telling the watch (via custom workout) that you'll be doing 10K (for eg); if the watch could get the distance data from the PM5/ErgData, this would not be necessary, but as it can't the watch can only estimate the distance, and thus I don't see how the time taken to complete the distance will tally perfectly with the actual exercise/PM5?

Maybe distance data is transmitted from the PM5 via ANT+ FE-C, which C2 recommend for the RowErg but not (it seems?) for the BikeErg.

Anyway, as it appears I'll be editing workouts (post-exercise) for accurate time, I suppose it's easy enough to correct the distance then too.

Cheers!

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 19th, 2023, 9:18 am

RGS wrote:
September 19th, 2023, 8:07 am
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought you got around the distance issue by telling the watch (via custom workout) that you'll be doing 10K (for eg); if the watch could get the distance data from the PM5/ErgData, this would not be necessary, but as it can't the watch can only estimate the distance, and thus I don't see how the time taken to complete the distance will tally perfectly with the actual exercise/PM5?

Maybe distance data is transmitted from the PM5 via ANT+ FE-C, which C2 recommend for the RowErg but not (it seems?) for the BikeErg.
ANT+ is designed to remove any guessing from the equation. The PM5 should tell the total distance travelled via ANT+ (see the Open Source implementation of a PM5 ANT+ interface: https://github.com/JaapvanEkris/openrow ... ipheral.js). On the RowErg, the distance is communicated, but it seems to be the per stroke. So if you miss some broadcasts, the total distance will suffer.

RGS
Paddler

Post by RGS » September 19th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Well, just given it a decent test and everything seemed to work as expected! I presume the distance issue I saw initially was likely user error, such as wrong unit setup or something equally silly... (the watch only displays a number) :oops: .

Time and distance do seem to be matched to when you start/stop the watch, meaning that both are likely to be out but only by a touch; one metre extra for my 10K and +2 seconds timewise, both of which can be easily corrected in Garmin Connect.

Thanks once more for all the help!

RGS
Paddler

Post by RGS » September 21st, 2023, 7:51 am

Just a last few Qs, JaapvanE; if you don't mind:
  • How do you go about setting up your workout, just set the distance under Custom Workout in the Garmin Connect app?
  • Do you then load it from within the Indoor Rowing activity, or is it its own thing?
  • Presumably once you hit the set distance, the watch stops your workout automatically; is that correct?
While I'm happy to edit the results post-workout, it looks like Garmin Connect uses the original for PRs etc (and maybe elsewhere also), thus at least getting the distances exact would be preferable. Almost all my workouts are simple set distances: 10K, 20K, 40K etc, so I don't need anything fancy.

Thanks!

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 21st, 2023, 8:23 am

RGS wrote:
September 21st, 2023, 7:51 am
Just a last few Qs, JaapvanE; if you don't mind:
  • How do you go about setting up your workout, just set the distance under Custom Workout in the Garmin Connect app?
  • Do you then load it from within the Indoor Rowing activity, or is it its own thing?
  • Presumably once you hit the set distance, the watch stops your workout automatically; is that correct?
While I'm happy to edit the results post-workout, it looks like Garmin Connect uses the original for PRs etc (and maybe elsewhere also), thus at least getting the distances exact would be preferable. Almost all my workouts are simple set distances: 10K, 20K, 40K etc, so I don't need anything fancy.

Thanks!
I create a workout in the app (More -> Training & Planning -> Workouts), type 'Custom' (it might need Bike for a bike) with a fixed distance. Then you send it to your watch. When you open your bike/rowing activity, I hit the three dots on the side, and I can select "Training" and then "Workout Library". You must activate it, although I'm still wondering if it could start automatically once the rower starts moving. It concludes that the workout has finished, but it doesn't seem to complete the workout entirely. My distance is correct though.

RGS
Paddler

Post by RGS » September 21st, 2023, 9:03 am

Thanks for the swift reply.

"...but it doesn't seem to complete the workout entirely." – do you mean that you still need to stop it manually; as in, the distance will stop automatically but the time will keep rolling?

Yeah, I noted there's a Cycling option, but as no Rowing (or Skiing) option and as only using the distance parameter, I thought it'd be best to select Custom; that way, in theory I can use the workout across all machines (eg 5K, 10K, 20K etc; combined with Indoor Bike, Indoor Rowing etc) or even a run if I know the exact distance (or on a track).

Thanks again for all the help; just making sure I have everything setup correctly before beginning new regime next month.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 21st, 2023, 10:05 am

RGS wrote:
September 21st, 2023, 9:03 am
"...but it doesn't seem to complete the workout entirely." – do you mean that you still need to stop it manually; as in, the distance will stop automatically but the time will keep rolling?
I honestly wouldn't know, as I'm typically catching my breath at that same moment :lol:

RGS
Paddler

Post by RGS » September 21st, 2023, 11:16 am

JaapvanE wrote:
September 21st, 2023, 10:05 am
I honestly wouldn't know, as I'm typically catching my breath at that same moment :lol:
Hehe, fair enough! I'll run a few tests and see how it works.

Cheers!