Row Along- The Grid

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Row Along- The Grid

Post by Dangerscouse » August 20th, 2023, 1:40 am

I saw this from a teammate and it looks like a great virtual competition, running throughout September www.rowalong.com/thegrid

In summary you need to pick one session out of four categories (sprints, short, middle and long) but you benefit if you choose a less popular option. They range from 100m to HM, and it's in the usual age groups. £10 to enter and the proceeds go to charity.

I'm not looking forward to the sprint option, but it's all going to be great training. As it's all virtual and a month long, it might appeal to quite a lot of us.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

RDL
500m Poster

Re: Row Along- The Grid

Post by RDL » August 21st, 2023, 4:44 am

I have seen this pop up a few times on YouTube (probably because I've watched a few of Johns videos).

First time I've read the full format though. Sounds appealing as I need some motivation at the minute. Have found myself stuck in a rut doing 30:00 & 45:00 sessions just plodding along, consciously or subconsciously protecting the elbow and not really pushing myself.

Something like this might give me a little kick up the bum to push a bit more however.

Would say though that right now, none of the distances or times to pick from I feel like I could give myself a good showing.

In the A & B sections probably the shortest distances and I feel like ive kept some power but lack the endurance to carry that pace for longer periods.
In the C & D sections I've no idea, especially the D section as I've thus far stayed away from anything in that range. Time to have a look I reckon.

Several days to have a ponder.
Definitely just be making up the numbers though and adding an extra £10 to the charity pot!

rleeden
Paddler

Post by rleeden » September 5th, 2023, 6:07 am

Decided to enter this competition on Saturday (after a bit too much wine :shock: ), and got my first row in this morning. Not sure why I decided to do the hour in Section D this morning, seeing as it's a bit warm in the UK today, but got a decent PB (14800m) so happy with my choice.

I seem to be better at the longer distances, so not looking forward to the sprint and short sections (A & B). Hopefully, given the competitive element to these rows, it will give me a bit of extra motivation.

I want to get an entry in for all sections with at least a week to go before the deadline, so that I can have a go at improving any times/distances I think I've got a chance of improving.
Male 54 - 74.4kg 188cm - Restarted rowing Feb. 2023 (after a 30 year break!)

JWP1969
Paddler

Post by JWP1969 » September 19th, 2023, 6:01 am

Just came across this competition and entered. I have only 5 days to do the four sessions....... as i go away on Sunday.

It would be nice to set some good personal benchmarks..... i'm under no illusion of being competitive..... i looked at some of the scores already posted in my section..... dang, some quick lads.

What order would you do the sessions, to minimise impact on subsequent sessions? Unfortunately, i did yesterday's WOD, 5 x 3 mins (with 2 mins recovery) - so not exactly started from a good tapered perspective.

I was thinking of doing the A & B today (Tuesday), C on Thursday, then D on Saturday. Easier days on Wednesday and Friday. Any thoughts?

Best of luck everyone.