thoughts on this used C2 (and meaning of numbers)

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Ombrax
10k Poster

Re: thoughts on this used C2 (and meaning of numbers)

Post by Ombrax » September 2nd, 2023, 1:16 am

Even if the flywheel area looks good on the outside it's good idea to take a look inside. Look closely at the air passageways in the screen and convince yourself that they're back to their original area. Anything obstructing the in or out flow of the air needs to be cleared out, because that's what limits the DF one can achieve. That said, unless an erg is horribly dirty, chances are it can make it to a DF or 120 or 130, and most folks really don't need to get any higher than that.

Just be careful, be aware of the weights, and don't mess with them. I just watched the C2 video and realized that the Model D and E flywheel cover doesn't come off completely, only the outlet screen, so you don't get as good access to the entire side of the flywheel, which is why you don't see the balance weights. I was thinking of my Model C, where the entire side panel comes off (a fundamentally different design) allowing you to really get in there and potentially re/move the balance weights. That doesn't seem to be as likely with the more recent models.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » September 2nd, 2023, 2:11 am

Ombrax wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 1:16 am
Just be careful, be aware of the weights, and don't mess with them. I just watched the C2 video and realized that the Model D and E flywheel cover doesn't come off completely, only the outlet screen, so you don't get as good access to the entire side of the flywheel, which is why you don't see the balance weights. I was thinking of my Model C, where the entire side panel comes off (a fundamentally different design) allowing you to really get in there and potentially re/move the balance weights. That doesn't seem to be as likely with the more recent models.
On the RowErg, the entire side panel can come off without issue. There are four bolts that keep it in its place. You can remove the screen by loosening the bolts a bit, but when you remove the bolts, the side panel can be removed. My impression is that the D and E work the same way (my gym has some of them).

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 2nd, 2023, 2:29 am

JaapvanE wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 2:11 am
On the RowErg, the entire side panel can come off without issue. There are four bolts that keep it in its place. You can remove the screen by loosening the bolts a bit, but when you remove the bolts, the side panel can be removed. My impression is that the D and E work the same way (my gym has some of them).
Thanks for the clarification.

That's a step probably worth doing on a recently acquired older erg, if only to better get to know it and to give it a good inspection, and if necessary, a deep cleaning. (with the caveat noted above regarding the balance weights)

ecrow
Paddler

Post by ecrow » September 2nd, 2023, 3:31 am

Ombrax wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 2:29 am
JaapvanE wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 2:11 am
Thanks for the clarification.

That's a step probably worth doing on a recently acquired older erg, if only to better get to know it and to give it a good inspection, and if necessary, a deep cleaning. (with the caveat noted above regarding the balance weights)
In the 2nd video I linked (the Dark Horse one) he removes the side panel and then wipes the inside of the fan blades with a cloth. Is that where the weights are attached? I'm still not clear if weights are there or you need to remove more parts to access them?

Can I just use a vacuum blower on the fan blades after removing the perforated strip, without removing the side panel, as the C2 official video says? rather not risk anything else. Is that going to be enough?

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 2nd, 2023, 7:25 am

ecrow wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 3:31 am
I'm still not clear if weights are there or you need to remove more parts to access them?

Can I just use a vacuum blower on the fan blades after removing the perforated strip, without removing the side panel, as the C2 official video says? rather not risk anything else. Is that going to be enough?
There are two images at the link below that clearly show the balance weights on the flywheel blades.

It's up to you how far you choose to disassemble things. If you're uncomfortable with removing the cover, then by all means just follow the C2 guidance - odds are that's enough. The only reason to go farther would be if once you're removed the strip you look inside and see lots of accumulated dust and gunk that's doesn't get aspirated by the vacuum nozzle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/comment ... ywheel_of/

ecrow
Paddler

Post by ecrow » September 2nd, 2023, 10:30 am

Ombrax wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 7:25 am
ecrow wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 3:31 am
I'm still not clear if weights are there or you need to remove more parts to access them?

There are two images at the link below that clearly show the balance weights on the flywheel blades.

It's up to you how far you choose to disassemble things. If you're uncomfortable with removing the cover, then by all means just follow the C2 guidance - odds are that's enough. The only reason to go farther would be if once you're removed the strip you look inside and see lots of accumulated dust and gunk that's doesn't get aspirated by the vacuum nozzle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/comment ... ywheel_of/
Thank you for that, very helpful. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I'd guess given how important even a slight imbalance can be, and manufacturing tolerances, perhaps each flywheel is individually balanced by a computer determining the weight positions?

Also not sure how easy they are to dislodge. Will just use vacuum to suction and see what comes out. I don't think vacuum will help if there is dirt builtup on the blades esp if its sticky.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 2nd, 2023, 7:08 pm

Better to trace round the weights with a white marker pen.

Concept 2 should do it at the factory.

The weights should also be made of stainless steel and not just plated steel, they rust like crazy over here and over time lose their mass.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

ecrow
Paddler

Post by ecrow » September 2nd, 2023, 8:12 pm

Update - I've purchased it !!

I want to do a full clean of the flywheel, just a bit hesitant of any risk, but in the meantime its ok to just turn up damper to get a dag of say 110-120 right?

stevegaspars
500m Poster

Post by stevegaspars » September 2nd, 2023, 11:49 pm

Carl Watts wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 7:08 pm
be made of stainless steel and not just plated steel
I'm under the impression that stainless steel is far less magnetic. That's why fridge magnets don't stick to stainless fridges properly.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 3rd, 2023, 12:25 am

ecrow wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 8:12 pm

I want to do a full clean of the flywheel, just a bit hesitant of any risk, but in the meantime its ok to just turn up damper to get a dag of say 110-120 right?
Congratulations!

No risk at all setting the damper lever "to 11" if that's what you want.

I wouldn't worry much about any potential damage to the erg - as you're find out, they are quite robust and can take just about anything we can throw at them. See the link below for one example. (I assume you aren't (yet) quite as strong as Brian Shaw)

https://youtu.be/SVl0Zt-kZys?feature=shared

ecrow
Paddler

Post by ecrow » September 3rd, 2023, 1:17 am

Ombrax wrote:
September 3rd, 2023, 12:25 am
ecrow wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 8:12 pm

Congratulations!

No risk at all setting the damper lever "to 11" if that's what you want.

I wouldn't worry much about any potential damage to the erg - as you're find out, they are quite robust and can take just about anything we can throw at them. See the link below for one example. (I assume you aren't (yet) quite as strong as Brian Shaw)

https://youtu.be/SVl0Zt-kZys?feature=shared
I've never seen the back of the machine skipping like that, and 2 guys having to hold it down. Crazy.

ok now I'm wondering if people like that used mine at the gym :shock:

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 3rd, 2023, 1:44 am

ecrow wrote:
September 3rd, 2023, 1:17 am
ok now I'm wondering if people like that used mine at the gym :shock:
I can assure you that if it's anything like the gym at work, where I use the Model E and often check the memory, 50% of the meters will have been at about 3:00 / 500m pace or slower, 30% around 2:30 / 500m, 19% around 2:20 / 500m, 0.9% at 2:10, and the remaining 0.1% below 2:00 / 500m.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » September 3rd, 2023, 1:58 am

Another think I just thought of to check: The handle swivel bushing.

Check when the chain swivel is connected to the handle U bolt. If the bushing has a slot in it as shown in the image below then the original was replaced. If it doesn't have a slot and it's in very good shape (i.e. not worn down) then the bushing was replaced at the same time as the chain or it's the original bushing and the erg hasn't seen much use. (The original bushings don't have a slot. Replacement bushings do, to allow you to install them without having to disconnect the chain)

If yours is worn down and needs to be replaced they only cost $1 (+ shipping) from C2 and it's an easy 5 minute job.

https://shop.concept2.com/parts/321-slo ... c-d-e.html

https://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/i ... cement.pdf

Willy.VdW
1k Poster

Post by Willy.VdW » September 3rd, 2023, 3:24 am

My bushing has a slot, it was bought new last year.
Maybe they come with a slot for some time.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » September 3rd, 2023, 3:49 am

Willy.VdW wrote:
September 3rd, 2023, 3:24 am
My bushing has a slot, it was bought new last year.
Maybe they come with a slot for some time.
Mine too. Exactly looking like on the pic.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5