Rowing and Trapped Perineal Nerve

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
starboya
Paddler

Rowing and Trapped Perineal Nerve

Post by starboya » August 30th, 2023, 2:26 pm

I've been off the RowErg since January as I have a stinging / aching pain that comes and goes just below my left knee. It' been diagnosed as a trapped nerve which is causing the pain in the proximity of my fibula head (where fibula meets fibula) - perineal nerve. I've been having treatment from an Osteopath and (along with some ups and downs) the symptoms have improved but persist. It still causes me discomfort (especially at night if I try and sleep on either side).

Since the problem started I've been doing only a limited amount of exercise, some cycling, occasional swimming and I've taken up Yoga! I'm late 50's and have been a club cyclist and indoor rower for many years and my body has suffered a lot of abuse in the process! I think that over the years I'd accumulated many physical problems which came to a head towards the end of last year. Such as knees aching at night, occasional back trouble, inflexibility (the joys of getting older) etc. To try and get over the knee issues I took a few weeks off exercise completely and just walked and stretched etc. It was when I started doing a bit of erging and cycling again that the problems with my trapped nerve first kicked off. The good news is that now (after 8 months) my knees feel much stronger and I feel much more robust with my aches and pains having gone. The yoga has undoubtedly helped. Over the course of this year I've also consistently done various strengthening, stretching, muscle activation and even nerve flossing exercises as advised to try and overcome this very frustrating nerve issue.

I tried doing some rowing a few weeks ago and it just irritated things. Today I've done a steady 2k on the erg, The nerve pain was niggling there for the first 1k but things eased up a lot for the 2nd and I've continued to feel okay for the rest of the day, with only the occasional slight twinge.

I've decided not to let this thing beat me and I'm going to get back on the erg again, taking things very steady at first and building slowly. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has suffered with this particular ailment and has any experience / insights on how I can be rid of this and get back to erging?

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Re: Rowing and Trapped Perineal Nerve

Post by Dangerscouse » August 30th, 2023, 4:02 pm

starboya wrote:
August 30th, 2023, 2:26 pm
I've decided not to let this thing beat me and I'm going to get back on the erg again, taking things very steady at first and building slowly. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has suffered with this particular ailment and has any experience / insights on how I can be rid of this and get back to erging?
I can't say I've ever suffered from anything like that, but best of luck with your rehab and hopefully the motion will be enough to resolve the issue.

I do recommend yoga and or Pilates to keep you more flexible and strong.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Aquaman
500m Poster

Re: Rowing and Trapped Perineal Nerve

Post by Aquaman » August 30th, 2023, 6:09 pm

Not a doctor, nor had/have what you describe (at least not diagnosed), but went through a long period of knee pain under right kneecap. I like to run but do so mostly on pavement. Erging helps reduce impact pain, but the knee bending during strokes exacerbated the pain.

Then I began incorporating strength training, specifically exercises and weights that focused on leg muscle balance = strengthening/aligning of the 'bracing' muscles of the kneecap. Made a huge difference in pain reduction. Mostly did squats (w/dumbbells and w/o), lunges and kettlebell/dumbbell swings, as well as regular stretching and icing.

Not sure if that addresses a nerve issue directly, but it could help align the muscle tension, reduce possible bursitis and relive pressure points on it.