Airflow/Wind

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg.
Bori2
Paddler

Airflow/Wind

Post by Bori2 » July 28th, 2023, 1:56 am

Hello, as I am planning to buy a new bike for indoor cycling I am looking at the bikeerg because I have a good experiance with the rower.
My question is (and I was unable to get an answer in the web):
How strong is the "wind" the rider feels on the body while cycling? Ist it only on the left leg or even higher at the face for example?

THX for answering

B.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: Airflow/Wind

Post by Carl Watts » July 28th, 2023, 7:09 am

The Concept 2 RowErg is great but I wouldn't buy an BikeErg sorry.

Do some research if I was you.

You need a massive fan for the bike and the rower in the summer, there has been some recent posts if you use the "Search" box top right.

Nowhere near enough air movement from the Erg or the Bike.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » July 28th, 2023, 8:06 am

The strength of the wind depends on your damper setting and how fast you ride. I find it adequate for cooling generally, but if I'm working hard or it is warm in the room, I use a box fan as well. You feel it more on your left shin, but it circulates air over your entire body.

edward.jamer
500m Poster

Post by edward.jamer » August 1st, 2023, 12:58 am

New to BikeErg, just got a used one last week, so take my early impressions with a grain of salt.

Wind strength depends on damper setting and ride intensity, but it's definitely noticeable if you are putting some effort in. The breeze isn't strong enough to provide body cooling during the ride, but I'm in a cool basement so don't care.

I do find wind focused on one lower leg, and even when intensity rises the angle doesn't shift much. That imbalance was weird at first, but doesn't bother me after a few sessions.

I would rather have a Rogue Echo for my own use, but we needed a standard bike for some distance training and knee rehab. This is working well. My kids both use it daily and like it quite a bit (so far).

Is BikeErg the right choice for you? I don't know. I like my RowErg more... but I trust C2 after getting quality engineering and support for my RowErg, so feel safe with this new toy.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » August 1st, 2023, 1:45 am

Once upon a time there was a C-Breeze for Rowergs; maybe could fit to a Bikerg too; or some cardboard manifold with the outlet in the right direction.

However sweat is a great leveller, whatever the temperature; within reason.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » August 1st, 2023, 12:24 pm

Carl Watts wrote:
July 28th, 2023, 7:09 am
The Concept 2 RowErg is great but I wouldn't buy an BikeErg sorry.

Do some research if I was you.
Please elaborate. I've seen the criticism that it disproportionately cools the left leg, which is true but not an issue for me. I've seen the criticism that it doesn't simulate hills. Also true. But it feels very much to me like a bike on level, with the damper to control cadence.

I like that feel better than anything else I've tried.

What would you recommend? Watt Bike? I've only tried those in hotel gyms. Something with moving handles? No thanks. Magnetic trainer? No thanks.

MudSweatAndYears
1k Poster

Post by MudSweatAndYears » August 1st, 2023, 1:14 pm

I hardly notice any air flow from the flywheel. It is definitely not adequate for cooling my body during a BikeErg workout. I use a box fan for that purpose. Like you I love my RowErg, and no single moment I regretted my decision to purchase a BikeErg as well. As a training tool it is really complimentary to the rower.
I run in the mud, I sweat on the erg, and I happily battle the years...
M 63, 1.80m/5'11", 75kg/165lb. Erging since Sept 2019.
https://erg-all-rounders.blogspot.com/p ... 22-23.html