Alternative covering for the Model D handle?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
miket-nyc
Paddler

Alternative covering for the Model D handle?

Post by miket-nyc » March 25th, 2023, 12:59 am

Today, on vacation, I worked out at a gym on a Life Fitness rower. I didn't like it at all compared to my Model D, with one exception. The handle of the Life Fitness rower has a slightly pebbled texture, and it was more pleasant to hold than the sticky feel I get with my Model D grip. (I use chalk on my hands to improve that but it's still not as good as this other rower).

So are there alternatives to the stock C2 grip? I notice that the covering of the Model D grip is a separate piece that slides on, so there may be others. (Also, my rower was made in 2011, and there may have been improvements since then).

Mike Taglieri

Ombrax
10k Poster

Re: Alternative covering for the Model D handle?

Post by Ombrax » March 25th, 2023, 1:19 am

I just use rowing gloves. The ones below aren't cheap, but work well. (and aren't quite a goofy looking in person as they are in the images on the web site)

https://thecrewstop.com/products/scullers

gvcormac
6k Poster

Re: Alternative covering for the Model D handle?

Post by gvcormac » March 27th, 2023, 7:09 am

When I used to row 30km in a sitting, I would put cotton tube socks over the handles. I never found gloves satisfactory. A gym towel works, too, but requires a bit more attention to keep in place. Perhaps I just never found the perfect pair of gloves.

For gym distances (10km and less) I just tough it out.